AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: James Peter Associates Literary Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

James Peter Associates Literary Agency

Anyone had any deelaings with this agency? I can't find much on them in the public record and nothing turns up on a search here. According to their listing in Writer's Market, they look like a good target for my work but I'd like to know more about them before submitting. Thanks for any info. you can provide.

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goofy06
    Anyone had any deelaings with this agency? I can't find much on them in the public record and nothing turns up on a search here. According to their listing in Writer's Market, they look like a good target for my work but I'd like to know more about them before submitting. Thanks for any info. you can provide.
    Nothing at Preditors and Editors except their address in Connecticut.

Found this puzzling tidbit on writersservices.com:

Non-fiction, especially history, politics, popular culture, health, psychology, reference, biography (home 15%, overseas 20%). Foreign rights handled by: Bobbe Siegel, 41 West 83rd Street, New York, NY 10024. Will suggest revision. No reading fee.

Founded 1971.

What's puzzling is the "Will suggest revision" bit. Does that mean they'll send you to a critique service or that they have an interest in certain critique services? I don't know - it could be I'm just paranoid.

I've also seen another address for them, in Tenafly, NJ (here with one of their agents):

Bert Holtje
    James Peter Associates, Inc.
    PO Box 772
    Tenafly, NJ 07670
    (Literary, Adult)

I'm not sure if that's an old address or the Connecticut one is the one most up to date.

I don't know what you've found, but you're right - there's not a heck of a lot out there on this agency.

Good luck!

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    An odd listing here, too: http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/prod...7509-page.html

Primary SIC: Management Consulting Services, Primary NAICS: Administrative Management and General Management Consulting Services

Description: Services: Consults with publishers and industry on such projects as total book production from conception through writing, design and illustration to camera-ready copy, video tapes and programmed instruction. Also works with businesses and not-for-profit organizations to develop books and periodical publications.
    Sounds more like a packager than an agent.

Bert Holtje's listed with AAR, FWIW.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    He was my agent for fifteen years and nice fellow, but he retired at least five years ago. Gene Brissie took over, but he never contacted me, so I lost touch.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Bert Holtje is now The Consulting Editor

Looks like JPA dissolved in 2004, when Gene Brissie became editor-in-chief of Citidel Press. (He's switched pubs a few times since then.)
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: