AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Publishers Marketplace / Publishers Lunch

Publishers Marketplace / Publishers Lunch

I searched the index, honest! In a Google search I just found a site called Publisher's Marketplace that appears to have listings of available manuscripts but also shows about ten agents as members. Is it legit or were the red flags I saw on the horizon really there? Thanks for any info. Puma

Gone
    Link, please?
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Are we talking about this? http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/

It's quite real, and quite useful.

Manuscripts do get sold there.

However, last I heard, all those sales involve at least two of the following three items:

1) Rights other than first publication
    2) An AAR-member agent (or an agent who could be an AAR member).
    3) A previously-published author.

Yes, James, that's the one. The reason I found it was through a search for "Writers in the Sky" agency. One of the manuscripts they have is listed on there with their agent Mark Straley. I'd looked at the W in the S website - they do have about ten authors listed now - and was curious whether anything they were doing might show up through Google. Looks like Publisher's Marketplace has lots of agents listed. Puma

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Found the listing you're referring to:

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/mbthomas/

It looks very much to me as if the author put up that listing herself.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Publishers Marketplace is a great resource--I often refer people there. However, anyone who pays its fee can be a member. Case in point: the infamous Cris Robins of the Robins Agency. She has an agent listing and has posted a number of manuscripts. When I wrote to the Publishers Marketplace people to let them know that they were, in effect, aiding and abetting a scam, they told me that they couldn't police their membership.

So, as with all online agent resources, use this one with a certain amount of caution, and do a bit of extra research on anyone you find listed there.

- Victoria

Dave Diamantes
    Membership is $20 a month and you can cancel on line without problems. It's well worth a one month subscription just to research the site. I've started and stopped a couple of times.

Publishers Lunch: has anyone seen my lunch?

I usually get the "Free Lunch" from Publishers Marketplace, but lately it's been sporadic. Does anyone know what's happening there? Is it just the time of year? (Labor Day, etc.)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Absolutely Fazed
    Mine came today, but I think they mentioned that last week it would be sporadic.

Got mine too. They do tend to get a bit spotty around holidays like this, but if memory serves, they do give us readers a heads-up.
    "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's store before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and steal the stereo." -- Bill Gates, Mac Week, March 14, 1989

Stories of Strength
    My listing in the Absolute Write Library.
    Support the Author Advocate Defense Fund

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Yup, what Deadly and CC said.

Man, I'm going through withdrawal. Don't know who to query!
    Last edited by C.bronco; 09-11-2006 at 09:13 PM.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Sockpuppet

[Resource] Publisher's Marketplace

Are the Publishers and Agents listed in publisher’s marketplace safe (highly regarded)? Are there certain requirements that PM requires of its members?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    $20 a month: https://www.publishersmarketplace.com/register/

PM is cleaner than most unvetted listings, but always cross-check with other sources, like P&E.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Sockpuppet

Is Publishers Marketplace worth it? (merged into B&BC thread)

$20/month. I see a lot of Google hits on it that I'd like to read, but it requires a subscription. Anyone know if the stuff in there has useful information for those of us who are in the querying, not-yet-published stage of their careers?

practical experience, FTW incognitopress's Avatar
    I only wish I'd forked over the $20 earlier. It's so useful when you're looking up agents and want to see their track record, what they've sold, what kind of stuff they represent... also, I've been enjoying all the articles on the London Book Fair, the latest in publishing news, etc.
    You can also check out entire agencies, see who the agents there are and what each has sold. The specifics of the deals aren't mentioned, but you get an idea because of the "nice deal", "major deal", "6-figure deal" indicators.

You can set up a deal tracker page where you can track any particular agents/agencies you're interested in. I've found myself using that a lot. Also fun was the "look up who's representing who" page....now I know who all my fav authors are repped by.
    I'll probably cancel in another month or so, but it's quite tempting to hang on to the membership a while longer....I find myself checking back quite often and looking for news about the latest deals...it's addictive!

anyway, I definitely got my $20's worth this month! try it, I think you'll agree. The information is worth it, especially if you're currently in the process of pursuing agents.
    Last edited by incognitopress; 04-22-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    Elisa
    Website

Tell me to leave. Please. honeysock's Avatar
    Miss Plum, you can get a mini version of their Publisher's Lunch emailed to you for free. It comes out several times a week:

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/lunch/free/

Someday when my budget's not on a diet I'll spring for the full version. Right now, I enjoy this "lite lunch." : )

The $20.00 fee is nominal compared to having access to the PM site. Also, I find that I can get around a general submissions mailbox on an agency's web site by finding an agent's email not listed on that site, and either sending a query directly to the agent, or at least using their email as a cc. Also able to track deals, get info on top dealmakers by genre, etc. The $20.00 is well worth paying, and honestly, I spend more on coffee and liquor....

Sockpuppet
    Thanks, guys! Here goes $20 . . .

Sockpuppet
    . . . and here comes a request for a partial.

That's amazing. Tons of top dealmakers whom I never found in the other directories. And I just got a "Please send" from one of them!

practical experience, FTW incognitopress's Avatar
    Yay, Miss Plum!! Congrats!
    So glad that you're finding it useful, I know I still do. The snooping in the deals section can get a bit addictive, doesn't it?
    Elisa
    Website

And it helps when the site lists them in order from 1 to 100 starting with highest sales in the genre you're writing. Of course, there are some agents who don't list their sales on PM.

Spent my $20 lets see how things go
    In Progress:
    Prince$$ Ti@ of Alumin@ Querying :S

Publisher's Marketplace (merged into B&BC thread)

I'm not sure if this belongs here ... or anywhere for that matter.

I'm just curious - should I fork out the $20 a month for a PM subscription? I'm currently querying, and waiting on about 30 agents to get back to me, and I have 2 partials out in the world, but should I keep going with my query quest?

Argh, such a dilemma! Sorry to sound so whiney, thanks for any answers!

Around
    PM is a great way to keep up industry news (they send a daily newsletter), as well as see what's selling and to whom. The Deals listing is the main reason I have the subscription.

If you can afford the subscription, I recommend it.
    Blog: Organized Chaos | Pinterest | Facebook | Website | Twitter

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast