The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Agent] Victoria Sanders & Associates, LLC

Nothing clever to say... K.B.R.'s Avatar
    Wondering if Emualde or Miamyselfandi ever heard anything...? I sent a query to Ms. Baker-Baughman in January and got a request for a full a day later, which I promptly sent. She said she couldn't wait to read it; however, after a few months of not hearing anything, I sent a follow-up email in June. No response. I assumed no answer meant rejection, but everything I've read on her says she is very good at responding. Is it possible she just hasn't read it yet, but is still planning to??

practical experience, FTW
    Sorry for the delay. I did finally get my R, almost at the seven month mark. She never answered my nudges but she did say in her final email that she got them. She apologized for the delay which was very curteous of her.

Nothing clever to say... K.B.R.'s Avatar
    Interesting... Guess there's no sense in me sending another nudge; I'll just wait. A few days from now, it'll be eleven months exactly...
    Last edited by K.B.R.; 12-03-2011 at 04:51 AM.

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
    Queried Ms. Baker-Baughman on May 16, no response as of yet. Missing a couple of other responses from that day, though, so I'm starting to suspect email gremlins.

The glint of light on broken glass Tolstoyce's Avatar
    Bernadette is caught up with all queries as of yesterday, according to Query Tracker. So if you haven't gotten a response, you should re-send.

Query Sent: 8/28
    Form Rejection: 8/29

She's really fast!

in my own little corner, in my own little chair
    Just threw my hat into the ring. Off to eat brownies...
    I haz blog--The Cinderella Diaries

I makes like a birdie here!--Tweet-Tweet!

amazon.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Bernadette requested a full from my coauthor and me on 6/26 with a 2 week exclusive. That's the last we heard from her. She wouldn't reply to our follow up emails, sent after waiting a generous three months. We are pretty disappointed with this lack of professionalism. Even a "I'm sorry, I haven't gotten to it yet" or even "Thanks, but this isn't for me" would have been better than a stony silence.

Enjoying the Adventure StellaArgentum's Avatar
    I queried Victoria on 9/12, got a full request on 9/14, and a polite rejection with a little feedback on 10/3. A fast turnaround on the full, and a very professional agent. I'll definitely be querying her in the future with other projects.
    1897 Historical Fiction [Astoria, Ore., U.S.] (103K) - Shelved
    1849 Historical Fiction [San Francisco, Calif., U.S.] (98K) - Querying
    1884 Historical Fiction - Researching

Quote Originally Posted by IanTHealy View Post
    Bernadette requested a full from my coauthor and me on 6/26 with a 2 week exclusive. That's the last we heard from her. She wouldn't reply to our follow up emails, sent after waiting a generous three months. We are pretty disappointed with this lack of professionalism. Even a "I'm sorry, I haven't gotten to it yet" or even "Thanks, but this isn't for me" would have been better than a stony silence.
    Dear Ian,
    I reply to all submissions, especially things I request on exclusive. If you've not heard from me then I suspect your email did not make it to me. Please feel free to reach out to me via email again. We are still catching up on all emails that came in during last week's storm when we were offline.

All my best,
    ~Bernadette

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin korrinblue's Avatar
    I submitted a requested full to Bernadette on 1/7/13 and received an acknowledgment of receipt within an hour. On 1/11/13 she politely passed on the manuscript with a few personal comments. I should probably add that this was six months after the Willamette Writer's Conference last August where she initially requested the full, which was not completed - a newbie mistake that she graciously overlooked.

Sockpuppet
    Queried with first three chapters on 1/20.

Passed on 1/22.

*sigh*

practical experience, FTW S. L. Saboviec's Avatar
    Does anyone know if this is a "rejection by one is a rejection by all" agency? I haven't found anything to indicate that it is, but they ask to submit to a general query mailbox. Bernadette sent me an R, but Chris Kepner also reps fantasy (and I've rewritten my query letter).
    Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest
    My flash fiction, "I Am NOT Little Red Riding Hood" on Grievous Angel
    Guarding Angel on Goodreads and Amazon
    Reaping Angel on Goodreads and Amazon

E-queried Bernadette Baker-Baughman 3/7/14.
    Form R 3/10.

Politely prompt. Oh well. Onward.

practical experience, FTW jeseymour's Avatar
    Sent my query to Bernadette Baker-Baughman at 2:19pm today and got a rejection at 2:33pm. Ouch.
    http://jeseymour.com
    Out now from Barking Rain Press:
    Lead Poisoning (2nd ed.) - Things go wrong when a fugitive mob troubleshooter retires to New Hampshire to live with his family.
    Stress Fractures - Kevin Markinson, injured escaping from prison, taken hostage with a teenage boy and surrounded by law enforcement, discovers that everybody has a breaking point.
    Frostbite - a bumbling gang of Rhode Island mobsters get more than they bargained for when they kidnap an aging assassin.

24 Hour turn around on a query. Sure, it was a rejection, but I still appreciate the speediness of the response.

Twitter: @petedutcherjr PeteDutcher's Avatar
    Has anyone here EVER been taken on as a client by this agency?

practical experience, FTW SuperKate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteDutcher View Post
    Has anyone here EVER been taken on as a client by this agency?
    I have a friend who's represented by Victoria Sanders, and adores her. I don't think she's on here, though.
    Book blog: www.kidbooklist.com
    Twitter: @SuperKate

I'm represented by VS&A! I signed last month, and, after some minor revisions, they said they plan on pitching it to editors in September. Victoria seems like she's on top of her game as an agent. Very professional.

My novel is YA horror/thriller with paranormal elements. Not multi-cultural at all, so she seems open to a lot of different things, I think.

same day rejection from Mrs. sanders

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    Ugh; I queried Victoria with the required 25 pages or 3 chapters. It came to 26 pages, which was fine. But I kept calling them 3 chapters when they were only TWO chapters. Didn't realize until after I hit Send, of course. *smacks forehead*

ETA: Aaaannnd a quick rejection arrived today. *sigh*
    Last edited by Chumplet; 11-13-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    Throwing my own hat into the ring... Let's see.
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    Quick R. Oh, well.
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.

Has anyone had any recent experiences with Bernadette?

Victoria Sanders or Jenny Bent

Thoughts on these two agents? Clearly, they're both reputable and spectacular.

If you had offers from each of them, which would you go with and why?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Please keep questions to an agent's specific thread. I've merged your question into Ms. Sanders'. Please consult the Index for Jenny Bent.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast