• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Rudy Agency / GamePlan Press (Maryann Karinch)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Recovered
06-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Nannie J
Esteemed New Member

The Rudy Agency / Maryann Karinch

Hello,

Does anyone have any information about this literary agent: Maryann Karinch at The Rudy Agency?
06-14-2006, 10:23 PM
DeadlyAccurate
Not really.

Is this her?
http://www.karinch.com/
06-14-2006, 10:43 PM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

This looks like the agency:

http://www.rudyagency.com/
06-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Nannie J
Esteemed New Member

Yes that's her. She seems on the up and up, but I want to make sure. She seems interested in my manuscript. Do you know anything about her?
06-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Nannie J
Esteemed New Member

agent check

Yes this is the agency, does anyone know anything about her?
06-15-2006, 10:35 AM
DeadlyAccurate
Not really.

Nope, I know nothing, but she does show a list of sales on her site. I don't know anything about the publishers (I don't write NF) she's sold to, though.

Barring information from knowledgeable sources, she isn't ringing any alarm bells on my end (for what it's worth; I'm just a writer).
06-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Nomad
Charter Dawnolite
Absolute Sage

Reputable publishers.
06-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Kasey Mackenzie
Blonde & Bookxum

I'm confused. I thought the subject of this thread was a literary agency, not a publisher?

ETA: Er, unless whatever Maryn deleted referenced a publisher, in which case ignore my confusion.
06-15-2006, 01:06 PM
DeadlyAccurate
Not really.

We were referring to the publishers the agent is listing as having made sales to and whether they were reputable.
06-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Kasey Mackenzie
Blonde & Bookxum

Oops, silly me! I think my eyes skipped right over your earlier post. *blush*
06-16-2006, 10:25 AM
victoriastrauss
Cud-chewing moo-derator
Absolute Sage

Reputable, yes, but all are smaller publishers that don't require writers to use agents. If your goal is one of the large houses, this agency may not be the best fit.

Also, of the new titles listed at her agency website, two are authored or co-authored by her. And it's a very, very small track record for an agency that started up in late 2003.

- Victoria
06-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Maryn
Bru-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-uce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey Mackenzie
I'm confused. I thought the subject of this thread was a literary agency, not a publisher?

ETA: Er, unless whatever Maryn deleted referenced a publisher, in which case ignore my confusion.
What Maryn deleted is all the proof needed that she should shut up until she's had two full cups of coffee.

Maryn, who's had two full cups of coffee
06-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Kasey Mackenzie
Blonde & Bookxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryn
What Maryn deleted is all the proof needed that she should shut up until she's had two full cups of coffee.

Maryn, who's had two full cups of coffee
LOL...well, now I don't feel *quite* so bad!

Maryann Karinch

Literary agent and author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rudyagency.com
a few notes about my agency

Dear Writers,

Since you were talking about me, I thought I'd chime in. I started this agency nearly three years ago so I could provide the level of service that I had always wanted from an agent. I wanted to provide talented writers, especially first-timers, with editorial guidance on their proposals when they needed it and to stick with them all the way through to marketing the published work. This comprehensive style of serving clients prohibits my taking on lots and lots of authors, but I have a very high success rate with those I do sign on. I welcome submissions in accordance with the guidelines posted at www.rudyagency.com and urge you to heed my request to send proposals for only full-length non-fiction aimed at adult audiences. Good luck to all! Maryann

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Maryann,

Thanks for stopping by.

Can you elaborate on this sentence on your website:

"We also expect that authors who want to work with us will commit their skills to achieving commercial success as well as editorial excellence."

Thanks.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Welcome from me, too. While I'm very interested in health/medicine and military/intelligence non-fiction as a reader, I'm not very current on the publishers and agents who handle it. I do hope you look around the forums.

Maryann Karinch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rudyagency.com
Hi, Roger,

Sorry for the delay. I should stop by more often.

What I mean by that is that I commit substantial resources of the agency to maintaining a proprietary database of media contacts, as well as access to excellent media resources, so I want to work with people who will let me help them promote and market their books.

Best regards, Maryann

Hi Maryann,

Thanks for stopping by.

Can you elaborate on this sentence on your website:

"We also expect that authors who want to work with us will commit their skills to achieving commercial success as well as editorial excellence."

Thanks.

Maryann Karinch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rudyagency.com
Hi again All,

since I'm not very good about jumping back into the thread and keeping up with questions, please feel free to ask me those questions directly by sending an email to [email protected]. In the meantime, I will try to keep up with the good conversation here at Absolute Write! Have a great 2011! Maryann

Maryann Karinch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rudyagency.com
new eBook publisher

Yes, this is a new venture and I welcome queries. My agency got some very good business/career books that were too short to pitch to most publishers. Excellent how-to information, but about half the size of full-length books. GamePlan is designed to get those wonderful books out to people who want short, practical guides to accomlishing something. We hope to expand into other areas, such as lifestyle, but business/career are our current focus.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
From the website of Game Plan Press:

"Karinch decided to launch GamePlan Press after realizing that some of the most practical and immediately useful books submitted to her literary agency were considered too short by commercial publishers."

I'm concerned about the apparent conflict of interest here.

- Victoria

Maryann Karinch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rudyagency.com
All about GamePlan

From the website of Game Plan Press:

"Karinch decided to launch GamePlan Press after realizing that some of the most practical and immediately useful books submitted to her literary agency were considered too short by commercial publishers."

I'm concerned about the apparent conflict of interest here.

- Victoria

Hi, Victoria, the publishers I work with know that the books I accept on GamePlan are short--too short for them--and have a mentoring theme, as in, "here's how to sell a product," or "here's how to write a book proposal." There is no conflict.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Victoria, the publishers I work with know that the books I accept on GamePlan are short--too short for them--and have a mentoring theme, as in, "here's how to sell a product," or "here's how to write a book proposal." There is no conflict.

Hi Maryann,

The conflict of interest has nothing to do with the publishers you work with/submit to. It's GamePlan, itself that presents the conflict. When an agent or agency is affiliated with a pub, or (more to the point, here) has opened their own pub, conflict of interest applies.

Clients need to believe their agents will fight to place their books with the houses that can give them the best deals that can be negotiated on their behalf. If the agent has a small pub of his/her own that can publish the books, with financial interest in the titles published by said company, it's a conflict of interest. It doesn't matter whether you'd never steer one of your clients that way, are you an agency or a publisher? If you're both, it's a conflict of interest.

Maryann Karinch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rudyagency.com
Hi Maryann,

The conflict of interest has nothing to do with the publishers you work with/submit to. It's GamePlan, itself that presents the conflict. When an agent or agency is affiliated with a pub, or (more to the point, here) has opened their own pub, conflict of interest applies.

Clients need to believe their agents will fight to place their books with the houses that can give them the best deals that can be negotiated on their behalf. If the agent has a small pub of his/her own that can publish the books, with financial interest in the titles published by said company, it's a conflict of interest. It doesn't matter whether you'd never steer one of your clients that way, are you an agency or a publisher? If you're both, it's a conflict of interest.

Hi, Margaret, many, many agencies are now doing some version of this in an attempt to get more really good work into the marketplace--work that was rejected because of weak platform, length, etc. Their are a number of agents with publishing ventures. Also, please see (http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...it-agencies-sign-with-perseus-argo-navis.html) I don't steer anyone to my site; I am likely to make more money if I get them a commercial deal. Nonetheless, if they can't get a commercial deal because their excellent book is only 25,000 words, they can choose to go with me if my editors feel the work is solid. It's all about creating as many opportunities as possible, not the opposite. Thank you for the dialogue and the opportunity to explain this a little bit more.

Maryann Karinch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rudyagency.com
I have a happy update to this discussion. A really great, short book came in recently--perfect for GamePlan, and that's exactly what the author thought. Despite the length, I asked him if I could pitch it to a well-known commercial publisher. We just closed the deal! I will do everything I can to get an author a good deal like this.