The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Universal Publishers, Inc.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Universal Publishers, Inc.

Recovered:
    06-16-2006, 11:45 AM
    Pookiestoop
    One of the Locals

Universal Publishers

I found a book on Amazon that is published by Universal Publishers. When I looked them up I found that they charge a publishing fee. I thought publishers don't charge fees which is why they can be selective in their search for work. Any thoughts?
    06-16-2006, 01:09 PM
    MadScientistMatt
    Empirical Storm Trooper

It appears there are several Universal Publishers.

One is an Australian map company. The website looks like one from a legitimate map publisher - of course, vanity map publishing is a pretty rare niche.

http://www.universalpublishers.com.au/

Then there is a fee-based POD service by the same name. Their website claims that they specialize in niche nonfiction that has an audience too small to be commercially viable. Such an enterprise is not a scam; they help fill a particular niche in the book world. Their specialization may (or may not) indicate that they have a staff of editors with expertise at proofreading non-fiction. It's probably not a good idea to go with a fee-based POD for a book that you expect to sell more than a few hundred copies or need to have distributed in bookstores, though - Uncle Jim posted a classic example of the sort of work where this publishing approach is appropriate.

http://www.universal-publishers.com/
    06-16-2006, 03:57 PM
    Pookiestoop
    One of the Locals

THANK YOU!
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Any more knowledge about Universal Publishers? Not much is written about them lol

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Are you asking about Universal Publishers Pty Limited or Universal-Publishers, Inc?

The former is a large, Australian map printing company.

The latter describes itself as a "co-publisher" and requires you to pay $495 up front with another $100 for cover art. It's aimed at the non-fiction, technical and academic markets. The contract is a joke - 2 paragraphs long. The author will basically do all the marketing and there's nothing to indicate books are available in stores.

MM