• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] International Transactions (Peter Riva)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Recovered:
06-15-2006, 06:42 PM
ricknaub
Esteemed New Member

Peter Riva

Does anyone know about Mr. Riva and International transactions inc?
06-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Cathy C
Dawnolite w/extra seasoning
Absolute Sage

Could you provide a little more info, like a city, state or country? We can check him out after that. Thanks!
06-15-2006, 07:52 PM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

This guy?

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/priva/
06-16-2006, 10:40 AM
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless

http://www.intltrans.com/

Quote:
...international idea brokerage specializing in multi-national licensing, rights representation, project management, consulting, marketing, media and public relations.
Mega-agency, by the looks of it.
06-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Toni1953
Desperately Seeking Agent

Just a heads-up: they require a 3-week exclusive and ask for the first 20 pages and the last 20 pages of the ms. At least that's what they did with me. I can't send it into him yet becasue the ms is out right now with 4 other agents.

baileyday

Registered
Reaction score
Anything else about this guy?

I think Peter Riva is going to offer me representation. I've spent hours on the internet trying to find out about him and his company. Sounds like he is a producer of tv films, mainly. He has several books out in the last couple of years, but all but three are non-fiction. My book is mystery.

What do you all think about this? I have several other agents looking at my stuff . . . big agencies and they look promising, but you never know. I haven't seen anything else on here since 2006.

Any advice?

Thanks.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
I think Peter Riva is going to offer me representation. I've spent hours on the internet trying to find out about him and his company. Sounds like he is a producer of tv films, mainly. He has several books out in the last couple of years, but all but three are non-fiction. My book is mystery.

What do you all think about this? I have several other agents looking at my stuff . . . big agencies and they look promising, but you never know. I haven't seen anything else on here since 2006.

Any advice?

Thanks.

If he does offer representation you could ask him for names of his clients, those whose fiction he's sold and talk to the clients.

Miss Snark has some advice on asking for references here.

Good luck!

jdperren

I've been asked not only for a five week exclusive before taking a look at the ms, but a complete list/history of agents contacted and his/her response. Isn't that a tad unusual? Sounds like scam territory to me.

jdperren

Checking out the listing on Publisher's Marketplace, I retract any suggestion of scam. Clearly they are a legitimate agency with perhaps some not widely shared submissions requirements. I'm aware that many agencies will ask for an exclusive of a couple of months for reading a manuscript. But I've never known one to ask for a list of other agents and their responses.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've been asked not only for a five week exclusive before taking a look at the ms, but a complete list/history of agents contacted and his/her response. Isn't that a tad unusual?
That is unusual. It's perfectly reasonable for an agent to want to know which publishers have seen your manuscript, but IMO you don't owe any agent information on which agents have seen your manuscript. I can't imagine how it would be useful in making a representation decision; it could also unfairly prejudice them against you if, for instance, you'd queried 100 agents and they'd all said no. If it were me, I would decline to provide the list.

This seems to be a standard request for this agency, by the way. I've heard from a couple of other authors who've been asked for this info.

International Titles seems to have had success as a licenser and rights broker--that is, selling or licensing subsidiary rights for various kinds of intellectual property to media companies, including publishers. It represents a number of publishers and some individual authors (some, such as Eric Maisel, pretty well-known in their fields) and has done some film deals. However, I don't see that there is much, if any, track record of direct sales of unpublished manuscripts to publishers. If you submit and get an offer, this would definitely be something to ask about.

- Victoria

type3secretion

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to bump this and ask if anyone else has comments on this agency. Experiences? Thanks.

eurodan49

Banned
Reaction score
Queried Peter in May. He asked for a partial and four weeks exclusivity. Got back at the end of the term with some praises, suggestions and invitation to resubmit; which I just did…. We’ll see what comes out of it.

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
They phoned me two weeks after my query to request an exclusive on my full ms. I told them I couldn't given that I had it out with several other agents. They then told me they'd make an exception in this case and would read my ms anyway. Very nice communications with them and also very encouraging.

UPDATE - Oct. 21: They called to offer representation. While I still need to square things with three other agents who also have my full ms, all I can say is that I'm more than glad to hop off the query-go-round and get on with crashing on my next manuscript and working with a good agent. International Transactions have been thoroughly professional, responsive and, unusually for the industry, quick.

Last edited:

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Riva Represents Stieg Larsson

An addendum: Peter Riva represents the late Stieg Larsson, author of the runaway bestelling trilogy, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," etc.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An addendum: Peter Riva represents the late Stieg Larsson, author of the runaway bestelling trilogy, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," etc.

Currently taking previously pubbed authors only. Website states that policy will be in place until August, 2010. At least.

Mathilda

Registered
Reaction score
Queried him in the spring, just sent him a dummy of my book of photography. He reviewed it and wants to set up a time to talk next Tuesday. Will update on how it goes.

Mathilda

Registered
Reaction score
Talked to Peter Riva today. Very nice and down to earth guy, easy to talk to. As far as my book, he can't take it on because he thinks he can't sell it, as illustrated books such as this cost so much to print and fill such a small niche. He advised me to go the e-book way, ipad format through a reputable e-publisher. Not too many out there as yet but he says within a year things will change. According to him, the e-publishers rate seems to be 25% of the royalties. He can't help me with this, as he's not going to be doing e-publishing, but he told me that if I have any trouble submitting my book, to call him and let him know, and HE will call them. I can only say that my experience with Mr. Riva was 100% positive.

4 pages a day

Registered
Reaction score
Pete RivA

Ankor, I signed with Peter in late June. He was enthusiastic about my book. Nothing has happened yet. Anything with you?

DP

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, you don't want an agency that can't be bothered to spell out the word "first."

1st is for blue ribbons only.

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
They're doing you a favor by closing the door. Not too impressive.