• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Westwood Literary Agency

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Recovered:
06-15-2006, 06:00 PM
synchron
Esteemed New Member

Westwood Literary Agency

Anybody ever heard of the Westwood Literary Agency in London, England? Like the New York Literary Agency, they also want to sell their own editing service (but do leave you the option of hiring your own). Also, they want you to sign on with them for 5 years. Does anybody have any experience with them?
06-15-2006, 06:28 PM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

Why in the world are you even considering them?
06-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Aconite
Full sun to light shade
Mod Squad Member

Bad, bad signs, synchron. You don't need to know anything more about them than you already do.
06-15-2006, 08:17 PM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

May I invite your attention to this?

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...ncy&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a
06-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Caro
Esteemed New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
Good lord.
06-15-2006, 09:38 PM
HapiSofi
Board fanatic
Absolute Sage

As sins go, that one's original.
06-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Popeyesays
Board fanatic

They say you can find anything on E-Bay.
06-16-2006, 04:56 AM
xhouseboy
Board fanatic

I noticed that on ebay last night, and I've got to be honest I thought I was seeing things. When I clicked on the photo to enlarge it, the first thing that came to mind was that someone had swiped the plaque from outside their offices and was attempting to flog it.

I decided to go to bed at that stage. Either this was too surreal, or I was hallucinating in a state of exhaustion.
06-16-2006, 06:31 AM
Aconite
Full sun to light shade
Mod Squad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
ROFL. I particularly liked this bit:

Quote:
Please note: this is not a scam.
Because, you know, if they hadn't said so, I might have wondered.
06-16-2006, 07:05 AM
synchron
Esteemed New Member

No, I wasn't considering them, but I wanted to flag them in case anybody else got a positive reply from them. I just didn't know enough about them, that's why I posted it here. That ebay auction said it all, thanks!
06-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Gillhoughly
Board fanatic

It's only the dishonest person who assures you he's honest.

I've seen people pimping their books, scripts, and ideas on eBay, but never agent representation.

Of course they allllll want LOTS of money!

http://colonel-gabriel.livejournal.com/3132.html

http://colonel-gabriel.livejournal.com/2809.html

http://colonel-gabriel.livejournal.com/1411.html

...to name a few hilarious examples culled by a writer I know. The last one is really a hoot. He's got his book finished, just needs a writer to do the last chapter and "negotiate the details of how many books are to be underwritten and to what extent the co-author wishes to participate in the marketing. The co-author also, of course, gets to have genuine artistic input on the denouement"

Oh, THAT'S generous!

"the author would like the co-author to underwrite the cost of the publishing venture and if willing, to attend with him the signing events and marketing efforts in order to attain the New York Times Best Seller List. Include your phone number and briefly discuss in writing in general terms your financial status in order that I may determine that you are in earnest and able to finance the potential publishing of a best-seller."

The only thing funnier was the blogger's reaction!
06-16-2006, 09:57 AM
victoriastrauss
Cud-chewing moo-derator
Absolute Sage

Synchron, do you have documentation of this agency's editing recommendations that you could share with Writer Beware? Please email me at [email protected]. All material shared with Writer Beware is held in confidence.

- Victoria
06-16-2006, 11:07 AM
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless

http://www.westwood-agency.uk.tt/

Quote:
Frequently Asked Questions

Who are you?

We are a busy literary agency based in London, UK.

What do you do?

We act as agents on behalf of authors and poets. Our duties include finding a publisher and negotiating the best publishing deal for our authors. We also engage in promotion for our clients and offer a revising service should you be taken in our client database to ensure that all manuscripts that hit a publisher s desk are of a high standard.

What do you charge for your services?

Submissions are free. We do not charge for reading sample chapters. Once we show interest in a manuscript, we may request the entire manuscript and place it with one of our agents who will make any revision suggestions. Usually, the request of a full manuscript is a first step to be taken into our client database. Although we offer revisions and our agents and authors often work closely together, it is not possible for us to go through manuscripts and at the same time correct bad spelling or grammar mistakes as this takes twice or three times the time. Nevertheless, it is still the plot and style that matters most.

We charge the usual 15 per cent (UK) and 20 per cent (internationally) upon getting a publishing deal for a manuscript.

I ve made a submission. How long will it take to hear from you?

You should hear from us within 2-5 weeks. For overseas submissions, it could take longer due to longer delivery times.
Please note: Our reply time is very fast compared to most other agencies. This is the case because we believe that the faster we are, the sooner we can find our if we are the right agency for you.

I do not live in the Great Britain. Can I still send you my manuscript?

Submissions from other countries are welcome as long as the manuscript is written in English or German. Please make sure grammar and spelling are correct.
One can only hope that the revising agent's primary language matches that of the ms.
06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
JerseyGirl1962
Board fanatic

Frequently Asked Questions

Who are you?

We are a busy literary agency based in London, UK.

What do you do?

We act as agents on behalf of authors and poets.

For poets? Talk about a big red flag. Sheesh.

~Nancy
06-16-2006, 03:59 PM
transom-jumper
Esteemed New Member

E-Bay Agent!

Was that Westwood or West World Literary? Pay a pricey fee (reading or otherwise) and a faux world of publishing is at your fingers. Perhaps these agents are really robots ready to go haywire. Beware Richard Benjamin. Now that I've seen everything, Dear Lord you may suck my soul to the mothership.

Transom-Jumper
06-20-2006, 09:37 PM
JustinFulkerson
Esteemed New Member

Just got this one today!!!

---------------------------------------------

Dear Justin,

Many thanks for your query. I would like to read the first three Chapters (max. 30 pages) and a synopsis including the ending. Please send these to the address below. Please be aware of the fact that while we do not charge a reading fee, we charge new authors an administration and revision fee because hardly any manuscript, which we receive is truly free of any mistakes, and we spend a great amount of time polishing manuscripts before sending them to publishers. So that you know upfront, the fee is 50 GBP (equivalent to 100USD) and is usually deducted from the agent's fee upon selling the manuscript. Unfortunately, this has become a necessary step as publishers are spoilt with choice and we do no longer take chance in sending out unrevised work. I hope you find this information helpful.

Sincerely,

Gabriele

Gabriele Stancu
Westwood Literary Agent
401 Platinum House
Lyon Road
Harrow HA1 2EX
London
United Kingdom

What do you think???? Should it be taken seriously???

Thanks!

Justin
06-20-2006, 09:44 PM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFulkerson
What do you think???? Should it be taken seriously???
What I think is you should discard the letter, delete any future mail from them unread, and continue your search for an agent.
06-20-2006, 09:47 PM
JustinFulkerson
Esteemed New Member

Yeah!

With a heavy heart I take your advice. I've been seraching for over a year with not a grain of luck at my fingertips. My wife and I were so excited and then I told her to let me research them first and I found this site. I'll be here more often! Thanks!

Justin
06-20-2006, 09:54 PM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

If you've been searching for over a year you should have your next book finished or nearly so. Start shopping it around. Start at the top and work down.

A useful agent has sold books you've heard of.
06-20-2006, 09:57 PM
JustinFulkerson
Esteemed New Member

THe second book just happens to be a sequel to the first!!! The first one being over 110,000 words and 415 pages long.
06-20-2006, 09:58 PM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

Start writing a stand-alone of 80,000 words.
06-21-2006, 02:18 AM
RedandGold
It won't fit - will it?

The address given makes me suspicious - it is a block of luxury flats - not an office block!

(I live about 2 miles away from it - and go shopping next to it most weeks!)
06-21-2006, 09:12 AM
victoriastrauss
Cud-chewing moo-derator
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFulkerson
Please be aware of the fact that while we do not
Charge a reading fee, we charge new authors an administration and revision fee because hardly any manuscript, which we receive is truly free of any mistakes, and we spend a great amount of time polishing manuscripts before sending them to publishers. So that you know upfront, the fee is 50 GBP (equivalent to 100USD) and is usually deducted from the agent's fee upon selling the manuscript.
I knew it!

- Victoria
06-21-2006, 10:37 AM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

I don't care if they call it a reading fee, an administration and revision fee, or a coffee-and-donuts fee. It's still a bleedin' fee. They're taking money from the author that doesn't come from selling a book.

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Justin wrote: "What do you think???? Should it be taken seriously???"

Yes, it should be taken seriously! RUN!!!!!!!