• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

JetReid Literary Agency (Janet Reid)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Page 1
06-11-2006, 11:51 PM
DeadlyAccurate
Not really.

JetReid Literary Agency

http://jetreidliterary.com/default.html
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/JanetReid/

The agent's name is Janet Reid. Looks like most of her noteworthy sales are to small but legit publishers. I checked on some of the publishers. Some don't require agents to submit. Others, I wasn't so sure about (Kensington, Warner Aspect).

Any additional information worth noting? If I hear negatively back from the agents currently reading, this agency is going to be next on my list, barring any bad press.
06-12-2006, 12:08 AM
clara bow
Postpartum

The only thing I came across was a rumor that she's Miss Snark.
06-12-2006, 06:00 AM
rchastain
One of the Locals

You would be in excellent hands with JetReid.

RC
06-12-2006, 07:18 AM
zarch
lover of fonts

I queried Janet Reid and got a timely, polite hand-written rejection. I'll be querying her again when the time's right for my WIP.
06-13-2006, 01:41 AM
triceretops
Super Browser

Whoa, yanno. That looks like Ms. Snarkalicious to me. Her guidlines and genre listings give it away. I'm gonna said her a pail of gin.

Tri
06-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Aconite
Full sun to light shade
Mod Squad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triceretops
Whoa, yanno. That looks like Ms. Snarkalicious to me. Her guidlines and genre listings give it away.
LOL Because Miss Snark would never ever lay a false trail, no siree.
06-13-2006, 08:46 AM
DeadlyAccurate
Not really.

That would be awesome though, wouldn't it, to work with Miss Snark?
06-13-2006, 09:02 AM
clara bow
Postpartum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyAccurate
That would be awesome though, wouldn't it, to work with Miss Snark?
totally rightous.
06-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Nangleator
Board fanatic

Until you do something nitwitty and read about it on her blog the next day.
06-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Andrew Jameson
(not his real name)

I'm pretty sure there's a law (or maybe it's just tradition; I'm not sure) that only one literary agent can be snarky at any one time. Thus, Janet Reid is surely Miss Snark.

On a serious note, very respectable agent Kristin Nelson, on her blog, links to Janet's blog. They seem to know each other, and that looks like a good endorsement to me.
06-13-2006, 09:15 AM
victoriastrauss
Cud-chewing moo-derator
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara bow
The only thing I came across was a rumor that she's Miss Snark.
As far as I know, that rumor originates on this revolting blog (see the first comment of the Comments section). I'm guessing it has about as much truth to it as the blog owner's nasty rantings--in other words, it's highly dubious. I don't put much credence in anonymous smears, anyway.

- Victoria
06-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Nangleator
Board fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
... on this revolting blog
Boy. They don't like it when you cut into their profits, do they? Makes them rant, doesn't it?

I particularly like these quotes: "The real publishing industry doesn t need wannabe writers."

Yup. There are enough writers working now. We'll never need another one.

and "This is my industry mine, mine, mine! "

Yeah.
06-13-2006, 10:36 AM
DanWeasley
Esteemed New Member

They host a blog online - take a look at what they have to say, but I would say that you would be in good hands with them.

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/
06-13-2006, 11:07 AM
MidnightMuse
Send Lawyers, Guns & Money

Miss Snark scares the pee outta me.

Which is just as well, since she'd never represent me anyway - so my cleaning bill is saved!
06-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Wesley Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
... on this revolting blog ...
What a complete hump that guy is.
06-13-2006, 01:11 PM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

There's no reason to think that "A Gent" is actually an agent. There's a lot of reason to think that he-or-she is a scammer.
06-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Wesley Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
There's no reason to think that "A Gent" is actually an agent. There's a lot of reason to think that he-or-she is a scammer.
Could you go into a little more detail, please? On a first glance, his blog doesn't seem any more or less valid than, say, Miss Snark's. For example, neither one is posting their sales in order to protect their anonymity.
06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
DeadlyAccurate
Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Smith
Could you go into a little more detail, please? On a first glance, his blog doesn't seem any more or less valid than, say, Miss Snark's. For example, neither one is posting their sales in order to protect their anonymity.
I can tell you what I noticed the one time I had the displeasure of being over there: his advice and comments reflect an ignorance of the publishing industry that Miss Snark's dog doesn't even share. What Miss Snark says is similar to what other agents say regarding the industry. She sounds like a real agent. He doesn't.
06-16-2006, 05:59 PM
JennaGlatzer
Moo if you love Dawno
Runs the joint

I met Janet Reid at BEA last year, then interviewed her for the Absolute Markets Premium Edition (and quoted her in the Street-Smart Writer), and she e-mailed to wish us well when AW went down a couple of weeks ago. I have a high opinion of her all around; she's very cool, very sincere in her love for writers and writing, has good credentials, and is funny to boot.

To be more specific, a book club representative was at the booth wanting to talk to me about rights to Street-Smart, and I said something like, "Hang on, I'm talking to Janet," and she said something like, "Are you nuts? Go talk to the book club people and e-mail me later."
06-16-2006, 06:33 PM
clara bow
Postpartum

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........it'll be our little secret.
06-18-2006, 01:08 PM
clara bow
Postpartum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaGlatzer
I met Janet Reid at BEA last year, then interviewed her for the Absolute Markets Premium Edition (and quoted her in the Street-Smart Writer), and she e-mailed to wish us well when AW went down a couple of weeks ago. I have a high opinion of her all around; she's very cool, very sincere in her love for writers and writing, has good credentials, and is funny to boot.

To be more specific, a book club representative was at the booth wanting to talk to me about rights to Street-Smart, and I said something like, "Hang on, I'm talking to Janet," and she said something like, "Are you nuts? Go talk to the book club people and e-mail me later."
Just recently posted by Miss Snark:

"Lord(andTaylor) love a duck, y'all are just in a frenzy for Miss Snark to eviscerate the sweat of your brow. This is the fifth email in as many days pining for C'ometer. Are you guys all nuts or what??"

Okay, I need to go get a life now....
06-18-2006, 04:52 PM
soloset
em dash semicolon

Er...

Google:

Results 1 - 10 of about 13 for "Are you guys all nuts". (0.12 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 472,000 for "Are you nuts?". (0.14 seconds)

Obviously definitive proof, or at least only 13 other candidates (or is it 472,000?)!

Why does it matter anyway? It's in our best interests NOT to expose the person behind Miss Snark.

So please stop trying before you ruin it for the rest of us, okay?
06-18-2006, 05:34 PM
roach
rpia

Guessing at Miss Snark's identity is just one of those fun ways to waste time when one should be working on one's WIP. And since it's guessing the identity of an agent it's even writing related.
06-18-2006, 05:40 PM
rchastain
One of the Locals

Does anyone really want to know Miss Snark’s identity? I sure don’t—we’re having too good a time with things as they are. Why spoil the fun?

RC
06-18-2006, 05:43 PM
soloset
em dash semicolon

Okay, that was a bit cranky of me. I usually waste my should-be-writing time reading Miss Snark, so I'm probably just touchy on the subject.

Maybe this discussion should be split from the original Janet Reid thread, though?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
(Page 2 lost, wherein more trolls emerge from the woodwork to insist that Reid must be Miss Snark.)

Page 3
06-20-2006, 03:50 PM
NicoleJLeBoeuf
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel L. Bronkowitz
Sooner or later all roads lead to Snarkville.
...just flashed on a visual of a street in New York in which woman after woman looks up at the camera and says, "I am Miss Snark."

They're all wearing high heels but otherwise they look nothing alike.

"I am Miss Snark."

One after another. Voices of solidarity.

"I am Miss Snark."

And obfuscation.
06-20-2006, 03:57 PM
MadScientistMatt
Empirical Storm Trooper

Samuel,

I seem to recall Miss Snark claiming she can't sell mysteries. She said she likes them, but finds that for some reason she has difficulty selling them.

I don't recall Miss Snark ever claiming to be Jewish. And I'm not sure if she ever stated precisely how many clients she had.

And I am not sure that her writing looks all that close to Janet Reid's.

Lastly, I find it a little bit weird that we have two new members who showed up in this thread only after the link to A Gent's Outlook appeared (I'm sure he knows that link exists if he has any technical expertise whatsoever) and only posted attempts to prove that Janet is Miss Snark. And what's even weirder is after people complained about the first poster's anonymity, the second poster appeared with a screen name that included his middle initial.
06-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Tilly
Board fanatic

Quote:
As for the Jewish thing, when she states that she "won't touch anything that has to do with jews taking over the world," it's pretty obvious.
You really don't have to be Jewish to find paranoid, anti-Semitic conspiracy theories repugnant.
06-20-2006, 04:24 PM
soloset
em dash semicolon

Quote:
Name your theories. At least three of them.
1. Miss Snark is a colleague and friend of Janet Reid's who is currently giggling over this discussion with her via AIM.

2. Miss Snark is an agent who has decided to use details gleaned from the website of a nifty agent she met at a conference once as part of her online personality.

3. Miss Snark pulls random details out of the air occasionally to fool people, and/or everything you've listed is sheer coincidence. I like this one best; you can tell because I've repeated it three or four times now.

Quote:
I would like you to explain how more than two people can share eleven points of similarity like that. Especially when the pool is small. There are only about 750 literary agents in NYC.
Drum roll, please. It's coincidence.

Look up the odds that any two people in a roomful of strangers will have the same birthday. Fake psychics and con artists make bank on the fact that most people don't understand how coincidences and statistics work. So do conspiracy theorists and wishful thinkers.

Quote:
All eleven of those points are collected directly from Miss Snark's blog, the Confessions of an Idiosyncratic mind blog, and the JetReid website and blog. Information about her agency comes from agentquery and publisher's marketplace. Everything I posted can be verified, and most of it are things that Miss Snark and Janet Reid wrote in their own words. Nothing is fabricated. Better luck next time.
And there's the rub; "Miss Snark" is an unreliable source. Janet Reid can be verified; Miss Snark cannot, nor can anything personal she says on her blog. Thus, while it's apparently fun to make long lists of personal details about Miss Snark, it is also ultimately useless.

I must say, though, I am enjoying how you end each post with a blunt, vaguely bullying pseudo-zinger. Is that a natural talent for intimidation or have you actively cultivated it?
06-20-2006, 06:34 PM
anonymousity
Esteemed New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite
You are confusing using a handle with being anonymous. Many, if not most, of the people here who use handles are known mundanely as well.

You are also picking nits, which is a tactic resorted to when other arguments have been punctured and other approaches don't work.

Do a little research on Victoria and then have the grace to be embarrassed.
oy vey! keep on drinking that kool-aid. What's your name?

I'd be embarrassed to have posted 3,712 times and wondering where my life went.

I don't see a single puncture hole in my logic. (I teach logic, btw.) Moreove, I have presented no arguments except to ask people to read the jetreid web page carefully to draw their own conclusions. It's more than textual points of similarity.
06-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Tilly
Board fanatic

Oh dear, Aconite really got to you. Someone who claims to teach logic should really try harder before being reduced to personal attacks.
06-20-2006, 07:23 PM
BarbJ
Esteemed New Member

"You really don't have to be Jewish to find paranoid, anti-Semitic conspiracy theories repugnant."

Tilly, well said!

"oy vey! keep on drinking that kool-aid. What's your name?

I'd be embarrassed to have posted 3,712 times and wondering where my life went."

Aconite, it takes a certain amount of grace to admit the possiblity of being wrong, and Anonymousity doesn't appear capable. I don't think I'd want to learn the brand of logic Anonymousity claims to teach. Mere belittling, or feeble attempts to do so, is neither logical nor acceptable in any debate format I've heard or read.

Incidentally, Anonymousity, where is your cut-off point for too many posts (especially for a mod) at which one's life is wasted? During her private time, Aconite should - what? Watch TV? Knit? Anything other than help writers? I've seen your signature elsewhere - have you neared that point yet?

As a side note: "A Gent's Outlook"? Hah! That man is not a gentleman, and most likely not an agent given his style - or lack thereof. That makes him, at minimum, a sham.
06-21-2006, 07:18 AM
zarch
lover of fonts

Last night I had a dream that Miss Snark was actually three literary agents. I think two males and a female.

Anyway, the title of the thread is "JetReid Literary Agency." Whether or not she is Miss Snark, William Shakespeare, or anonymousity, I will query her again when my WIP is ready. I like what I've read about her, and I like what she's said in interviews, etc.
06-21-2006, 02:28 PM
anonymousity
Esteemed New Member

Jeez! Is this the cult of Glazer/Strauss/MacDonald or what?

I feel like I'm in HS attacked by all the wannabee cool kids.

It is to laugh that I'm chided for a so called personal attack with a slew of personal attacks.

I really can eat lunch by myself and don't need to sit at your table.

Sayonara.
06-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Tilly
Board fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousity
Yes. We're obsessed with windows.

Quote:
Taking a wild stab in the dark, I'm guessing at school you ran up to the cool kids, yelled LOSER, then complained when they beat the living snot out of you.

Quote:
It is to laugh that I'm chided for a so called personal attack with a slew of personal attacks.
"I attacked them, and they got me back. No fair!"

Quote:
Okay. You'll miss out on some great stuff about windows, though.
06-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Aconite
Full sun to light shade
Mod Squad Member

For anyone playing Message Board Bingo at home, that was one Flounce.

Smart money would be on the cards with The Lurkers Support Me in E-Mail and Godwin Event Horizon, since you just know they're coming right after Flounced But I'm Back.
06-21-2006, 11:23 PM
AnneMarble
Board fanatic

Quote:

Smart money would be on the cards with The Lurkers Support Me in E-Mail and Godwin Event Horizon, since you just know they're coming right after Flounced But I'm Back.
Ooh! Ooh! Jenna should sell message board bingo cards through CafePress to generate money for the site.
06-22-2006, 08:04 AM
zarch
lover of fonts

No personal attacks from me. I was merely trying to say I don't care if Janet Reid is Miss Snark. Okay, substitue "Santa Claus" for "anonymousity" in my above post.
06-22-2006, 08:28 AM
LeslieB
Geek Unique

Quote:

Hmm, those are good bets, but it wouldn't hurt to put a side bet on Return as a Sockpuppet or Was Sockpuppet In The First Place.

Of course, I may be being paranoid, since it was revealed this week that a large number of flame wars in one segment of the online Harry Potter fandom were caused by one person using multiple identities. She would have one group of her sockpuppets attack her or one of her friends, then another group of socks would run in to defend them, and dozens of people who had no idea what was really going on would join in the fray.
06-22-2006, 09:19 AM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

If it turns out Ms. Reid is, in fact, Ms. Snark, I'd consider it a point in her favor.

Meanwhile, here's a bingo card: http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/clichebingo.txt
06-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Cathy C
Dawnolite w/extra seasoning
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Only when they're right. Of course, that's . . . well, most all the time!

Quote:
Well, at least you admit who the "cool kids" are! Actually, you're not being attacked personally. It's just that if you really do have evidence, we sort of expect you to present it. Why hide behind the "well, if you contact me privately..." concept. Heck, post it up on its own thread. Let it see the light of day. Miss Snark will neither confirm nor deny it and will laugh openly at the attempt to demask her. But I doubt she told you not to say anything. So, put 'em up if you've got 'em.

Quote:
Well, you DID attack people. You attacked professional authors and working editors with claims of stupidity, and those who listen as lemmings. What did you expect except chiding?

Quote:

Sayonara.
Okey-doke. Your choice. But really--you're missing out on a lot of useful information here.
06-22-2006, 07:44 PM
batgirl
Bibliographic Searcher

Quote:

Was there a violation of Snacky's Law too? Or just very very close to it?
-Barbara Mary Louise Gordon (not anonymous, just unknown)
06-22-2006, 10:28 PM
buffoon
Esteemed New Member

Granted, Anon is not a sympathetic character. But while this is an extremely informative board, and the moderators do good work, it seems to me that the rudeness in this thread was not entirely one-sided.

In reading this and a few other (again, generally quite useful) threads, I've felt that the desire to display a suitably literary terseness - or sometimes just to toss bons mots - has occasionally precluded civility. Especially when dealing with newcomers. Katari's raking over the coals in the L'Abeille thread is a case in point.

Just my 2 cents, in case anyone cares. I will now duck.
06-22-2006, 10:40 PM
JennaGlatzer
Moo if you love Dawno
Runs the joint

All I'd really like to do is to get back to the subject at hand. This is a thread about Janet Reid's agency, JetReid. If anyone else has anything to say about the agenting of Janet Reid (NOT Miss Snark), I welcome it. Otherwise, let's drop this subject, please.

(P.S. I don't mean that in a snippy way.)
06-23-2006, 02:30 PM
batgirl
Bibliographic Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyAccurate
The agent's name is Janet Reid. Looks like most of her noteworthy sales are to small but legit publishers. I checked on some of the publishers. Some don't require agents to submit. Others, I wasn't so sure about (Kensington, Warner Aspect).
Kensington doesn't require an agent.
Warner Aspect is part of Hachette, which dances around the issue rather: "are not able to consider unsolicited manuscript submissions and unsolicited queries. ... If you are interested in having a manuscript considered for publication, we recommend that you first enlist the services of an established literary agent."
-Barbara

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Ms. Reid rejected me, but she gets high marks for promptness, politeness, and environmentally friendly use of query letters (she handwrote her note at the bottom of mine).

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
We just got back from NYC where we had our distributor's sales meeting. The icing on the cake was having dinner with Janet last night to discuss a submission. Janet is a lovely woman, knows the industry backwards and forwards, understands that not every author is a 100,000 book seller and has all kinds of publishers, large and small in her Rolodex. Her choices begin with loving and believing in a story. She truly cares about her writers and goes an extra mile to be kind and helpful.

An aside; she's very excited about Jenna's baby and says a big ol' hi to Lauri/Nomad.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
That's great to hear! Other agents always seem to have nothing but wonderful things to say about Janet Reid too, which says a lot to me. I'd love to have her represent me.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm completely biased because Janet is a friend, but I think she's terrific. She also never seems to stop working--good for her clients, probably not so good for her.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Janet passed on my submission in a very nice way, never saying she was passing, and recommending an agent she said would be perfect. (Unfortunately, I’d already tried that agent, and didn’t get past the partial.)

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
She requested my full manuscript with some very positive comments to say about the partial. Her emails are absolutely hilarious, too. I hope she likes my book and wants to represent it.

BillCameron

I have the good fortune to be a client of Janet's, and I've been nothing but pleased. As others have said, she's funny, thoughtful, and she gives me just the right amount of push. I like her and I hope we can work together for a long time.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Welcome to the boards, Bill, and congrats on the sale of your debut novel, Lost Dog. It's due out fairly soon, isn't it?

I guess I should update. I had the good fortune myself to receive an offer of representation from Janet last week. It's been a terrific experience so far, and I look forward to working with her.

BillCameron

Thank you, Deadly. Yes, lost dog is getting close--in fact it sounds like the last edits are done and it's off to the printer next week. Barely seems real to me!

Congratulations on signing with Janet! She's wonderful!

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I guess I should update. I had the good fortune myself to receive an offer of representation from Janet last week. It's been a terrific experience so far, and I look forward to working with her.
Didn't see this before, Deadly. Congrats on signing with Janet. She's a hoot and a half, and you'll love working with her. I know she can bring a particular Italian restaurant to their knees with her rendition of the Happy Birthday song...

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I emailed her with your question, Toni. Here's her response:

I joined Imprint in January 2007. All my (amazingly wonderful) clients came with me and we're all Imprinting now. The benefits of being in a collective are amazing. I'm honored to be a part of a GREAT agency. There is a new address, and a new email. The JetReidLitery site is still active, but it gives the new contact info.

(I swear, I didn't sneak in the "amazingly wonderful" part either. ;))

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I had a brief encounter with Janet Reid, and can go into details (though it is an exceptionally long story involving multiple agents... So, I shall only focus on this aspect of it.)

Janet Reid gets two big thumbs up from me. Though she wasn't the agent I was looking for - and I am not really the client she is looking for - I found my contact with her to be marked by her punctuality, professionalism, and kindness. I wish her all the best.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I gave Janet Reid a thumbs up in another thread. She complimented my writing in a nice personalized rejection and was kind enough to answer a quick question for me.