Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Maxwell Literary Agency (Diana Murphey)

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Maxwell Literary Agency (Diana Murphey)

Recovered from 6/26:
    Yesterday, 12:02 AM
    Jesstears2u
    Esteemed New Member

Diana Murphey

Has anyone heard of Diana Murphey?
    Yesterday, 12:35 AM
    James D. Macdonald
    Dawnolite Sparklecow
    Absolute Sage

In what context?
    Yesterday, 08:14 AM
    Jesstears2u
    Esteemed New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    In what context?
    In the same context everyone else has been asking about agents and publishers.
    Yesterday, 08:31 AM
    Aconite
    Full sun to light shade
    Mod Squad Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jesstears2u
    In the same context everyone else has been asking about agents and publishers.
    It's a good idea to explain exactly what kind of information you're looking for. How were we supposed to know, from what you stated? For all we knew, you'd posted in the wrong forum and were looking for information unrelated to publishers or agents.

It's also a good idea, when inquiring about someone, to list identifying information: websites, agency name, location, and so on. That way the people helping you know they're giving you information on the right person, and not duplicating information you already have. It's only polite to make it as easy as possible for the people you're asking favors of.
    Yesterday, 08:42 AM
    Jesstears2u
    Esteemed New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aconite
    It's a good idea to explain exactly what kind of information you're looking for. How were we supposed to know, from what you stated? For all we knew, you'd posted in the wrong forum and were looking for information unrelated to publishers or agents.

It's also a good idea, when inquiring about someone, to list identifying information: websites, agency name, location, and so on. That way the people helping you know they're giving you information on the right person, and not duplicating information you already have. It's only polite to make it as easy as possible for the people you're asking favors of.
    Anywho. Has anyone heard of Diana Murphey as in heard of her and if so was it good or bad?
    Yesterday, 08:44 AM
    Aconite
    Full sun to light shade
    Mod Squad Member

Did you hear a word either of us said? If you're asking people for help, it's only polite to make the job as easy as possible for them.
    Yesterday, 10:58 AM
    victoriastrauss
    Cud-chewing moo-derator
    Absolute Sage

Is Diana Murphey an agent? If so, what agency does she work for? Is she an editor or publisher? If so, what's the publisher's name? That's the kind of info we're asking for.

- Victoria
    Yesterday, 11:14 AM
    Popeyesays
    Board fanatic

By Kay Reynolds
    Mar 13 2006 05:12PM
    Contact this Content Producer
    In order to be published in either the fiction or non fiction world, an agent is essential. Publishers rarely accept unsolicited manuscripts for review, which means that you require a professional who has contacts in the industry. Literary agents, or Authorsí Representatives, are the medium through which an aspiring writer can be published.
    Most agentsí desks are flooded with submissions, and until you are accepted, you will have very little understanding of the review process. Since they receive so many manuscripts each week (average is around 400), they have little time to answer questions until they are sure they want to represent you.

A friend of mine from college, Diana Murphey, is a literary agent for Maxwell Literary Agency in New York City. She is formerly an editor for Berkley Books, and now she spends her time discovering new talent in the U.S. and abroad. She agreed to this phone interview, and I think you will be surprised at what she had to say.
    from Kay Reynolds website (she's a free lance copywriter)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...hey_a_nyc.html

Yesterday, 11:30 AM
    victoriastrauss
    Cud-chewing moo-derator
    Absolute Sage

The only reference to Diana Murphey or Maxwell Literary Agency I can find anywhere is on Kay Reynolds's site. This may be a very, very undercover agency that obsessively shuns publicity, but if it has been in business for seven years (this is mentioned in the interview) one would think that it would have left a few more traces.

- Victoria
    Yesterday, 12:16 PM
    rugcat
    One of the Locals

Hey Aconite.

I think you tend to be a bit quick to jump on newbies who you feel aren't sufficiently respectful. There have been similar posts that have not elicited any similar feedback. "Has anyone out there had any experience with Vivian Beck?" for example, simply generated replies.
    Yesterday, 12:27 PM
    Jo Scott
    Eccentric Is My Middle Name

I agree with Aconite, I mean-when I went to find info on Diana Murphey all I came up with was an author named Diana Murphy. I didn't know what they meant either.
    Yesterday, 08:26 PM
    Popeyesays
    Board fanatic

I cannot find a Maxwell Literary Agency in New York. I cannot find a Diana Murphey listed as an agent or at all in New York. There is a white page listing for a Dianne Murphey and her husband in Canandagua, but that's it. There are only six "Mruphey" listings in the New York City and surrounding area. None of them is "Diana.

Regards,
    Scott
    Yesterday, 08:54 PM
    Aconite
    Full sun to light shade
    Mod Squad Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rugcat
    Hey Aconite.

I think you tend to be a bit quick to jump on newbies who you feel aren't sufficiently respectful.
    I speak up when newbies--or anyone else--is rude. That's part of my job. I've seen Jesstears2u's other posts in other areas, too. Have you? They helped me form an impression of this new person that led me to feel courtesy isn't something this person values overmuch. That doesn't fly here.
    Yesterday, 10:28 PM
    Jesstears2u
    Esteemed New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Popeyesays
    By Kay Reynolds
    Mar 13 2006 05:12PM
    Contact this Content Producer
    In order to be published in either the fiction or non fiction world, an agent is essential. Publishers rarely accept unsolicited manuscripts for review, which means that you require a professional who has contacts in the industry. Literary agents, or Authors Representatives, are the medium through which an aspiring writer can be published.
    Most agents desks are flooded with submissions, and until you are accepted, you will have very little understanding of the review process. Since they receive so many manuscripts each week (average is around 400), they have little time to answer questions until they are sure they want to represent you.

A friend of mine from college, Diana Murphey, is a literary agent for Maxwell Literary Agency in New York City. She is formerly an editor for Berkley Books, and now she spends her time discovering new talent in the U.S. and abroad. She agreed to this phone interview, and I think you will be surprised at what she had to say.

from Kay Reynolds website (she's a free lance copywriter)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...hey_a_nyc.html
    Thank you for posting this article but I know who Kay is for her and I have communicated due to her article on Diana Murphey.
    Yesterday, 10:33 PM
    Jesstears2u
    Esteemed New Member

To All:

If you have read some of my other posts and felt I was being rude or unkind, it was not my intentions and I sincerely apologize.

Yesterday, 10:36 PM
    Jesstears2u
    Esteemed New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
    Is Diana Murphey an agent? If so, what agency does she work for? Is she an editor or publisher? If so, what's the publisher's name? That's the kind of info we're asking for.

- Victoria
    Yes, she's a literary agent. I apologize for not stating that. Sometimes I have things in my head and they don't make it to the fingers.
    Yesterday, 11:09 PM
    Unimportant

There's no Diana Murphey (or Murphy) listed with AAR or Publisher's Marketplace. A google search on the Maxwell Literary Agency brings up nothing.

Jess, I think that answers your question. No, no one's heard of her. And that probably means editors won't have heard of her, either. And that in turn means that she's not the kind of literary agent you want to represent your work.
    Yesterday, 11:32 PM
    Jesstears2u
    Esteemed New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unimportant
    There's no Diana Murphey (or Murphy) listed with AAR or Publisher's Marketplace. A google search on the Maxwell Literary Agency brings up nothing.

Jess, I think that answers your question. No, no one's heard of her. And that probably means editors won't have heard of her, either. And that in turn means that she's not the kind of literary agent you want to represent your work.
    Thank you very much unimportant - btw, love the name.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 07-08-2006 at 01:19 AM. Reason: fix link
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Jesstears2u's Avatar
    I ended reporting Diana Murphey to P & E.

figuring it all out
    Fer whut?

I'd be interested to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffoon
    Fer whut?

I'd be interested to hear.
    I'm guessing Jess added her to the P&E list, rather than reporting any misdoing.
    Jess, just checking - you already know that Preditors & Editors lists the good guys as well as the bad guys and the well-meaning-but-useless guys, right?
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl
    I'm guessing Jess added her to the P&E list, rather than reporting any misdoing.
    Jess, just checking - you already know that Preditors & Editors lists the good guys as well as the bad guys and the well-meaning-but-useless guys, right?
    -Barbara
    Yes I am aware of how P and E works and I use as a reference. I reported her for saying she would read my manuscript and get back to me in two weeks. It has now been a month. I sent one follow up email and received no response from that, no anything from her. She came as a recommendation from someone who did an interview on her...I have since learned that the interviewee and interviewer are actually friends. So where's the validity. In addition, no one had heard of this agent.

What are you thoughts?

figuring it all out
    Unless I'm missing something I don't think there's anything to report... Editors and agents often take longer than they said they would to respond to stuff -- when non-clients are involved. I think if you were a signed client and had difficulty getting her attention, you'd have a more substantial problem.

As for the woman referring her being her friend, well, if someone was your friend and a good agent, you'd probably recommend her. You wouldn't recommend someone you hated.

No one having heard of the agent is probably the biggest issue. But again, that's not really complaint-worthy, just reason to do some extra research.

No harm done though, as I doubt P&E will do much with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffoon
    Unless I'm missing something I don't think there's anything to report... Editors and agents often take longer than they said they would to respond to stuff -- when non-clients are involved. I think if you were a signed client and had difficulty getting her attention, you'd have a more substantial problem.
    Very true.

As for the woman referring her being her friend, well, if someone was your friend and a good agent, you'd probably recommend her. You wouldn't recommend someone you hated.
    You're right here as well. Never thought of it that way.

No one having heard of the agent is probably the biggest issue. But again, that's not really complaint-worthy, just reason to do some extra research. I have tried to find this agent and can't. She's not listed anywhere. I have even contacted the friend and have not heard from her either. I am not holding the friend responsible, but wanted to speak to her.

No harm done though, as I doubt P&E will do much with this.
    Haven't heard back from P and E but I was just sending it, just like you complain to a place and you know nothing will get done. It was the point of complaining.

Since the post, I have left this alone and only commenting here to other posts, such as yours Buffoon (btw, love the name - yours and unimportant. I have been seeking out other agents and working on beefing up my query letter.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Still no trace of Diana Murphey or Maxwell Literary Agency outside of Reynolds' article.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: