• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

SynergEbooks

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Recovered from 6/29:
Yesterday, 09:43 AM
amboyle

Synergebooks

-----------------------------------

Anyone got any info on Synerge Books? I did not see it on the index.
Yesterday, 09:52 AM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

Appears to be an ebook/POD publisher. Pays royalties not on list price, not on net, but on profits.
Yesterday, 09:57 AM
Tilly
Board fanatic

You get a cookie for checking the index.

P&E lists them as an ebook publisher. So the first thing is, is that what you are aiming for with your work? They're also doing some POD books now.

Quote:
SynergEbooks will help you to self-publish your work in print format if you should choose that option.
So do you pay for that option? If you do, that's vanity publishing.

They offer editing services. That might be a conflict of interest. I'd be concerned if they point their authors in the direction of this service (a publisher should not be charging the author for editing) or if they imply at any point that acceptance might be depedant in any way on the use of their editing service.

The editing service may be completely seperate from the publishing part of the company.

Those would be my concerns. I don't know a great deal about epublishers, so hopefully someone who knows more about them will be along soon and give, you know, useful advice . (ETA Uncle Jim sneakily posted while I was looking at stuff and typing, obviously he knows what he's talking about).
Yesterday, 10:01 AM
Tilly
Board fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
Appears to be an ebook/POD publisher. Pays royalties not on list price, not on net, but on profits.
So if a book sold, and the company said that their costs were high enough that they made no profit, the author would get nothing? Is that what that means?
Yesterday, 10:05 AM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

That's what their sample contract says. I don't know if that's how they operate, but the contract would allow it.
Yesterday, 10:10 AM
veinglory
heifericious
Mod Squad Member

I've not heard of them--but regardless they are closed to submissions untiol August.
Yesterday, 11:59 AM
amboyle

Thanks for the tips. I read on their website that they were into online publishing, but got confused by their indication that they now sell to the "big" bookstores. I was also concerned that, while they will pay for artwork for online covers (unless author wants his own artwork), the artwork for covers on hard copy is the author's responsibility (sounds pricey).

VG, where did you hear they are not taking submissions until Aug.? I didn't see that posted on the website.
Yesterday, 12:00 PM
veinglory
heifericious
Mod Squad Member

It's in bold type at the top of their submission guidelines page. http://www.synergebooks.com/subguide.html

If you apply later I'd suggest writing their name exactly as they do--small companies can be picky about their punny names (assume we are talking about the same compnay, which seems likely)

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
Does anyone have any recent experience with or thoughts on this ebook publisher? They have their contract online and it looks fine to me, but I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be looking for since this is my first time looking for a publisher.

They still pay a percentage of profit, not net. Is that a red flag or what?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Profit *is* net. It means they decide what is free and clear profit after dedeucting whatever they feel are their "costs". At the very least you would bneed to know and get in writing the exact costs being deducted.

But the real question is: what level of sales do they typically acheive? Earnings=profit per sale x number of sales. Both parts of the equation are equally important.