• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Berkley/NAL (formerly New American Library)

Jesstears2u

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Has anyone heard of NAL Trade publishing company? If so, what have you heard?

4 July 2006: I have since learned about this company from Josie and James who were kind enough to assist. I apologize to those two if I seem a little vague in my questions. I think its because what's in my head does not make it to my fingers. For Josie and James who have the common sense to not attack someone with snide remarks and to others like them, I will make my post more clearer in furture.

Last edited:

Jesstears2u

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Sassenach said:
Yes, of course.

Come on...do at least a basic Googling. This took 5 seconds!

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/html/aboutus/contactus.html

hey, thanks for the put down. I really appreciate it. Now for the record, I did do a google search on it - which I always do before I post here. Like everyone else, I posted here to get people's opinions, that's what this thread is for...right!?

Now, lets see what put down remark you can do with that one.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Jesstears2u said:
hey, thanks for the put down. I really appreciate it. Now for the record, I did do a google search on it - which I always do before I post here. Like everyone else, I posted here to get people's opinions, that's what this thread is for...right!?

Now, lets see what put down remark you can do with that one.

Then explain it that way. When someone asks if I've "heard of" a publisher that's been around 50+ years, my response is as above. Put some context into your questions.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm familiar with NAL but not with their trade section. Perhaps one of the gurus on AW forum can explain that to you. ie Cathy C. would be a good one.

But here is the proper website for you and on it you'll see that NAL is an acronym.

http://nalauthors.com/

This is a top publisher in North America!!!

I hope this helps!!

Cheers :)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
NAL = New American Library. One of the bigs. If you have an offer on the table from them, have your agent negotiate the details. (And if you have an offer on the table from them getting a good agent won't be a problem if you don't already have one.)

Jesstears2u

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Thank you Josie and James for your information. Josie, I did look on the site you have there and that's what confused me about NAL. I couldn't find anything about who they were, but then again, I am famous for over looking things. I will check that link out again.

James, I don't have an agent right now, which I frustrating me, but I know the best writers around have been rejected a million times and since I'm not the best writer there is, I should be rejected a trillion times.

Again, thank you Josie and James.

Last edited:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Jesstears2u, personal attacks of that sort aren't permitted here. Please edit that post to remove them.

I realize you feel picked on, but note that the difference between what Sassenach said and what you said is that Sass gave you advice--if grumpy advice--about how to get better responses to your queries. You may have noticed that people can't seem to figure out what it is you're looking for in various threads. There are ways to remedy that, and people are trying to tell you how to do it so you get the information you want.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome, Jess.

On that website address I gave you when you click on it at the very top almost--then on far righthand side is a word "Board", click on that and you'd probably have to register (free) and then ask them there everything you want to know. They have knowledgeable monitors on those boards and they can direct you.

Read everything slowly a few times over, relax...I know it's difficult to digest everything.

They are a friendly group of experienced novel writers (I find) to fledgling novel writers.

So far you don't need to have an agent but be sure to ask that on the site address I gave you. But for their "trade" books you might.

Cheers ;)

Last edited:

Jesstears2u

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Jim, thank you very much for the links. Unfortunately my work place blocks a lot of unnecessary sites - the second link openned fine, but the first one would not open. I will have to look at that one at home.

Josie, thank you once again for the assistance and not make fun of my blindness : )

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I have a friend who has a book coming out with NAL trade. It's called Singing with the Top Down by Debrah Williamson, and it's being released in September. It's a coming-of-age roadtrip story set in the 1950's.

She has been ecstatic about the support, etc. that she's been getting from NAL. The book's been garnering great advance reviews (from ARCs sent out by the publisher) including one from Publishers Weekly, and NAL has been doing a variety of things to help this book.

In other words, NAL Trade is the real deal, and is eveything PA ISN'T.

This is Deb's first book for NAL Trade, so if you're interested in seeing a first book through their program, pick it up in September.

Susan G.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
I heard about Debrah Williamson's book and diarized to look for it when it comes out.

Maybe I heard about it on the NAL board, not sure.

Did she have an agent when she submitted?

Cheers:)

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Josie said:
I heard about Debrah Williamson's book and diarized to look for it when it comes out.

Maybe I heard about it on the NAL board, not sure.

Did she have an agent when she submitted?

Cheers:)

Yes, Josie, she did. :) (And on Deb's behalf, thanks for looking for the book!)

Susan G.

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
Obsidian Mysteries

Does anyone know how to access the submission guideline for Obsidian Mysteries? They are part of the New American Library and Berkley Crime, I think. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks