• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Timberwolf Press

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
06-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Silverhand
Board fanatic

Timberwolf Press

Hello,

Out of the 30 or so publishers recommended to me, I have narrowed my search down to several small/independent presses. However, before submitting to them, I would like to know what this site thinks.

Timberwolf Press
Mundania Press
Star Painter Publishing
Emerald Falcon Press

These names, like the others I have researched here were given to me by one of the many writing communities I belong too.

Can anyone tell me anything good or bad about any of these?
06-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Kasey Mackenzie
Blonde & Bookxum

Silverhand: You really do need to click on the index at the top of the B&BC page and check for the names of the publishers you have questions about. I know that Mundania at least has an existing thread where you should be asking any questions about them. The others may have threads as well. If they don't, then you should feel free to start new topics about them.

Thanks!
06-06-2006, 03:40 PM
triceretops
Super Browser

I just checked out Star Painter and I like them for a little guy. They pay no advances, but do pay royalties--a little higher than the norm. They have a great mission statement. I sent an email synopsis to them just a few minutes ago. they seem like a new company and worth a check.

Mundania has been around for a while and I've had many dealings with them. They're fine, respectable, actually one of the better smaller presses.

Timberwolf has had my attention before. I wondering if they're temporarily closed for subs right now.

the other one I'm going to check out now.

Tri
06-06-2006, 03:50 PM
JerseyGirl1962
Board fanatic

Silverhand,

What Kasey said. The mods have told us to try to cut down on thread proliferation, which is why they started that index/sticky.

But feel free to start a new thread if you don't see any of them in the index (I know Mundania has one because that was one of the threads I cached).

~Nancy
06-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Silverhand
Board fanatic

The Mundania one started back in 2003. And, though they do have postings as late as last week, they dont really delve into how the company is doing "now".

Saying that, rather then cluttering the forum with useless posts...I condensed mine into a single question. "Here are the 4 publishers I am thinking about, can you help me."

If you dont like me asking about Mundania that is fine...at least offer an opinion about the other 3. Thank you.
06-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Aconite
Full sun to light shade
Mod Squad Member

Silverhand, the following are the forum policies:

* Do not start new threads on companies that already have existing threads. Post in the existing thread. Yes, even if you think you are an exception to the rule. You're not.

* Please, only one company per thread, to keep indexing simple. "Thread proliferation" in this case is about multiple threads on one company, not about the total number of companies that have threads.
06-07-2006, 10:49 AM
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless

http://www.timberwolfinc.com/index.php

Looks to be a far more professional operation than many POD's. Decent cover art and descriptions might actually entice a browser buy to a 280-page paperback for $15.

Might.
06-07-2006, 10:59 AM
victoriastrauss
Cud-chewing moo-derator
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaoPaux
http://www.timberwolfinc.com/index.php

Looks to be a far more professional operation than many POD's. Decent cover art and descriptions might actually entice a browser buy to a 280-page paperback for $15.
I agee--but I suspect it has the same distribution problems the so many POD-based publishers do, and that its books rarely see the inside of a bookstore.

What's different about this publisher is the audio CD versions of the books.

- Victoria
06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
XThe NavigatorX
The Louse

I have a Timberwolf audio book on cassette somewhere. The production quality was pretty good, though the price was absolutely outrageous. This was a few years ago.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Most current URL is http://www.TimberWolfPress.com but I can't get to it (and Wayback is cutting out on me). The most recent book on Amazon is from March, and a fellow's book that was due out second quarter came out with Booklocker instead. This doesn't look good.