• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

BookMarketingSuccess (Debra A. Dinnocenzo)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
06-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Lvhm9
Esteemed New Member

Book Marketing Success

Hello,
I'm a freelancer (mostly writing marriage/family related articles) who was recently contacted by an agent named Anne Palmer about writing a book she could pitch to Christian publishing houses. She does some work with a partner too, and that site is bookmarketingsuccess.com. Anyone have any thoughts or insight for me? I've written forever, but just for magazines and the web. I need help making sure I'm working with someone I can trust. She seems great...but I'd love some advice...

Thanks!
06-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Aconite
Full sun to light shade
Mod Squad Member

Welcome to AW, Lvhm9. You may want to also post your question in the Freelance Writing forum and see if anyone there's got information for you.
06-12-2006, 02:35 AM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

Let's get this straight. The agent contacted you? Out of the blue?
06-12-2006, 02:49 AM
Bartholomew
Board fanatic

Not sure. Their website manages to be vague enough to make me want to stear clear; it sounds too much like they're trying to sell something.
06-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Lvhm9
Esteemed New Member

James -- yes; she's primarily represented business books in the past but says she wants to begin doing more in the Christian marketplace. She's seen my articles on a major Christian website.
06-12-2006, 08:55 AM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

I really don't know anything about her.

In unknown waters proceed slowly with a leadsman in the eyes and a sharp lookout all around.

My guiding principals here would be: money flows toward the author, and a useful agent has sold books you've heard of.
06-12-2006, 02:19 PM
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless

http://bookmarketingsuccess.com/success/

Quote:
BookMarketingSuccess helps you navigate the publishing process with CD-based resources, online support, and coaching/mentoring services.
I find it notable that their website lacks any proof of client success.

IMHO, your money would be better spent on a market guide and a subscription to Publishers' Weekly.
06-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Richard
13th Triskaidekaphobe

I was more taken by this:

Quote:
We believe YOU are the BEST expert on your book and therefore, the BEST person to champion your book to success. Even if you secure a publisher, hire an agent, utilize a publicist and spend LOTS of money outsourcing book marketing services, YOU are still the BEST you bring to the market and to the book publishing process. We show you how to leverage your expertise, your knowledge and YOUR PASSION for your book so YOU can achieve BookMarketingSuccess!
...in short, if you fail, it's still your fault. Lot of vagueness, no specifics.