• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

many agents in same Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muggsie

Registered
Reaction score
Is it suspicious that Brick House, Irene Goodman and Weiser&Elwell are all in Suite 1101 on Fifth Avenue?

I'm just paranoid probably.
muggs

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
That is a little odd, I know nothing of those agents. I will say that with rents as high as they are in NYC that matbe sharing an office is the smart way to go. I defer to someone smarter. Which is pretty much anyone.

IWrite

Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
"Suite" in this case may be a fancy name for "PO Box." A mail-forwarding service?

Suite may also be a fancy name for "suite." It is not uncommon in NY (or other cities) for a "suite" on a given floor to contain thousands of square feet and dozens of individual offices.

It is also not uncommon for multiple companies to rent out office space in an individual suite. Usually there is a communal reception area and in many cases a communal receptionist that all the companies chip in to pay for and share. In these shared suite situations companies also share copy rooms, faxes, etc.

Often times the companies who share a suite are in the same industry (i.e. a bunch of small boutique lit agents). This is a fairly common set-up in LA for production companies, small agencies, casting agencies, etc.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
The Irene Goodman literary agency is a reputable one with many sales to major publishers. Among her authors that I immediately recognize the names of are: Debbie Macomber, Linda Lael Miller, and Lilith Saintcrow. Those are (I believe) romance and paranormal/urban fantasy authors respectively. (Here's a link to the page on their website with their current authors: http://www.irenegoodman.com/titles.php.) It is my understanding that some agencies share common office space in NYC so as to cut down on the overhead. Saves them money on rent and things like copying, etc. to share the costs among them.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Wow. There are a LOT of agents in that suite.

Google this:

"80 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1101"

So far I see...
Lippincott McQuilkin & Co.
Waxman Literary Agency
Wieser & Elwell, Inc.
Irene Goodman
Hill and Barlow
Wofford-Girand
The Beth Vesel Literary Agency

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
The Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency is also in this suite. Is it bad to query a few agencies that are all sharing a location like this?

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Barer Literary and Park Literary also share a suite in SoHo. I had the same thought - "I really shouldn't have subs out to both of them at the same time!"

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
We try to stick to a one-agency-or-publisher-per-thread rule, and many of the agencies discussed in this thread have their own threads here (check the index)--so I'm going to close this thread.

As for the suspicion factor of many literary agencies sharing the same address...see IWrite's post.

- Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.