The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: many agents in same Suite

figuring it all out

many agents in same Suite

Is it suspicious that Brick House, Irene Goodman and Weiser&Elwell are all in Suite 1101 on Fifth Avenue?

I'm just paranoid probably.
    muggs

professional multitasker scfirenice's Avatar
    That is a little odd, I know nothing of those agents. I will say that with rents as high as they are in NYC that matbe sharing an office is the smart way to go. I defer to someone smarter. Which is pretty much anyone.
    Coffee? Do I smell Coffee???

Whether you believe you can do a thing
    or believe you can't-you are right.
    -Henry Ford

If I had paid my bill you could see my site at www.sherylmccarty.com

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    i never heard of the other two, but i think Irene Goodman is supposed to be OK>
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    "Suite" in this case may be a fancy name for "PO Box." A mail-forwarding service?

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    "Suite" in this case may be a fancy name for "PO Box." A mail-forwarding service?
    Suite may also be a fancy name for "suite." It is not uncommon in NY (or other cities) for a "suite" on a given floor to contain thousands of square feet and dozens of individual offices.

It is also not uncommon for multiple companies to rent out office space in an individual suite. Usually there is a communal reception area and in many cases a communal receptionist that all the companies chip in to pay for and share. In these shared suite situations companies also share copy rooms, faxes, etc.

Often times the companies who share a suite are in the same industry (i.e. a bunch of small boutique lit agents). This is a fairly common set-up in LA for production companies, small agencies, casting agencies, etc.

One Hit Wonder? Kasey Mackenzie's Avatar
    The Irene Goodman literary agency is a reputable one with many sales to major publishers. Among her authors that I immediately recognize the names of are: Debbie Macomber, Linda Lael Miller, and Lilith Saintcrow. Those are (I believe) romance and paranormal/urban fantasy authors respectively. (Here's a link to the page on their website with their current authors: http://www.irenegoodman.com/titles.php.) It is my understanding that some agencies share common office space in NYC so as to cut down on the overhead. Saves them money on rent and things like copying, etc. to share the costs among them.
    Good things come to those who wait...and work their tails off!!!

Coming Soon on Kindle: Reborn in Fire

wishes you happiness JennaGlatzer's Avatar
    Wow. There are a LOT of agents in that suite.

Google this:

"80 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1101"

So far I see...
    Lippincott McQuilkin & Co.
    Waxman Literary Agency
    Wieser & Elwell, Inc.
    Irene Goodman
    Hill and Barlow
    Wofford-Girand
    The Beth Vesel Literary Agency
    I am no longer here. If you'd like to visit me, please find me at www.jennaglatzer.com or on Facebook. Thanks!

practical experience, FTW
    The Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency is also in this suite. Is it bad to query a few agencies that are all sharing a location like this?

Honey Badger don't give a shit. Blondchen's Avatar
    Barer Literary and Park Literary also share a suite in SoHo. I had the same thought - "I really shouldn't have subs out to both of them at the same time!"

POSSESS (Balzer + Bray, on sale now)
    TEN (Balzer + Bray, on sale now)
    3:59 (Balzer + Bray, September 17, 2013)
    GET EVEN (Don't Get Mad, Book 1, Balzer + Bray, Fall 2014)
    GET DIRTY (Don't Get Mad, Book 2, Balzer + Bray, Fall 2015)

Website ~ Blog ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    We try to stick to a one-agency-or-publisher-per-thread rule, and many of the agencies discussed in this thread have their own threads here (check the index)--so I'm going to close this thread.

As for the suspicion factor of many literary agencies sharing the same address...see IWrite's post.

- Victoria