Charity Cookbook Copyright Conundrum (without Jaws)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
I would love input on this:

Some friends and I are putting together a cookbook, about which you will hear much more in the months to come, with the proceeds going to acharity. The reality is some of those submitting recipes may have clipped them from already published cookbooks or magazines or newspapers. How would you suggest dealing with the copyright issues?

Thanks, in advance, for the wisdom,
Chac

I am under the impression that the ingredient list cannot be copyrighted, only the instructions can be. Based on that, have everyone make sure they put the instructions into their own words.
quidscribis

I asked this question down in "Manuscripts" but haven't received an answer there, so I'll try again here.

Does anyone know, with a cookbook, whether the actual recipe ingredients should be formatted as an indented block or left-justified?
BardSkye

No copyright on recipes
Sassenach

I have a fiction author acquaintence who writes (and publishes) a LOT of cookbooks. I'll bet she knows how pretty much all of this stuff works. Would you like me to ask if she has time to chat with you about this?

Smiles! :)
Cathy Clamp

The list of ingredients is not copyrightable, but the words describing how the recipe is prepared can be copyrighted.

Quote:
Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.

Maybe the trick would be to write out the directions in your own words and style.

ETA: Exactly what quidscribis said.
Peggy

As a chef, I am curious as to how you will differentiate your cookbook from all the others out there? If you're soliciting recipes rather than creating your own, they will most likely not be original. What will you do to grab the market's attention?

I hope you test the recipes before including them in your book. There's nothing worst than bad recipes rehashed from other bad recipes.

If you test the recipes, you should also consider photographing them for possible use in the book.
innkeeper04

Cathy C, that would be *great*.

I've been thinking about putting together a cookbook of my family's favorite recipes (I usually jot down the instructions in my own words anyway) to print up on Lulu and I'd love to hear how the 'pros' do it.
soloset

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. They have helped a great deal with my project.

Cathy, I would love to email with your friend, if they have time. Thank you for being willing to put us in touch.

Peggy, thank you for providing that link to that citation.

Hugs,
Chac

Ooops, I'm sorry. I thought she meant 'chat with' as in 'on the board' (like in the Ask the Agent threads). :) Didn't mean to cut in.
soloset

Peggy, thanks for the link. I'm glad to know there's actual backup for what I said. :)
quidscribis

Status
Not open for further replies.