The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Culinary Entertainment Agency (formerly Culinary Cooperative) (Michael Psaltis)

wishes you happiness JennaGlatzer's Avatar

Culinary Entertainment Agency (formerly Culinary Cooperative) (Michael Psaltis)

This thread was lost in the server screwup. I'm pasting it here from Google's cache:

buffoon writes:

Turns up on AgentQuery but not on Literary Agent Research. No website that I can find. One-line listing in 2006 Guide to Literary Agents. Preditors has the dollar sign indicating at least one verified sale, but nothing more. Cannot find much information at all.

Anyone have any experience with, dealings with, or unverified slander about said agent?

Thanks

buffoon

CaoPaux writes:

http://www.mpsaltis.com/ (http://www.regal-literary.com/about.html)

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=75067

Quote:
    Michael Psaltis is a literary agent in New York City. He works with both fiction and nonfiction authors through his own literary agency, and also heads up a division of Regal Literary that is dedicated solely to food writers and cookbook authors.

Looks solid.
    "I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage." -- Charles DeSecondat

buffoon writes:

Hmm. The mpsaltis.com link baffles me a little. When you go there do you just get a page with a couple bits of not-so-useful text and no active links, or is my browser misbehaving?

Also - looking at Regal Literary, with which Psaltis is supposedly affiliated - their site doesn't mention him. Thoughts?

triceretops writes:

Yes, I've had dealings with Michael. Out of the dozen or so agents who requested partials and fulls from me, he is the only one (ever) to email me back with comments, telling me why it didn't work for him. All told, after about 90 queries/synopsis, he was the lone contact last year.

Tri
    Left off at 66,740

JennaGlatzer writes:

This is a solid agent with significant sales (including six-figure deals) to Doubleday, Wiley, Thomas Dunne, Gotham, Avery, and others. Looks like he was with the Ethan Ellenberg agency until 2004, when he broke out on his own, then teamed up with Regal and called his division "The Culinary Cooperative." Most sales are cooking-related, but he's also sold memoirs, biographies, how-to, and other categories.

You can see a couple of his sales reported at Publishers Weekly:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6329600.html?industryid=23629&industry=Rights+De als+

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6290506.html?pubdate=12%2F12%2F2005&display=curr ent

OK. Thanks, all, for the information!

I am no longer here. If you'd like to visit me, please find me at www.jennaglatzer.com or on Facebook. Thanks!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    6/26
    Today, 11:52 AM
    Bryan Reardon
    Esteemed New Member

I've known Michael for some time. Not only do his sales speak volumes, but he is a great guy, too.
    Today, 02:38 PM
    Medievalist
    Dawnolite Bovine Admiration

I worked on the index for a cookbook by one of his authors who absolute raves about him as a non-confrontational but skilled negotiater.
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW

A nice guy

Met him at the San Diego Writers Conference (SDSU) a couple of years ago. Nice guy, obviously well-established. (Unfortunately not in my area of endeavor, but that's life.)

RussellDyer

Where is Michael Psaltis now?

Michael Psaltis tried to sign up an ex-girlfriend of mine a couple of years ago while we were together--she's a successful novelist. He was still at the Ellenberg agency at the time. In the midst of this, he left Ellenberg and later started his own agency. She didn't go with him primarily because she didn't like his temporary instability. However, I was impressed with how he handled himself through this. He was very professional and considerate of her concerns about his transition. I decided then that when I finished my novel that I would call him first.

Anyone can do a good job when everything goes right. How a person handles himself when things go wrong is the best proof of his abilities, in my opinion. Despite the fact that Mr. Psaltis had on short notice parted with Ellenberg after being with them for a long time, and despite the fact that he was considering going with a new agency (or starting his own as he did), he didn't pressure her to sign with him and understood her concerns--even though he needed the business the most during those transitional weeks. He was very impressive: my kind of agent.

But now, I can't find his mailing address on the web. Does anyone know how I can get in contact with him? Please email me directly if you know his contact information. I want to send him the first chapter of my book along with a query letter.

Thanks.

Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    Michael Psaltis sent me my most encouraging rejection letter when he was at the Ethan Ellenberg agency, so I tried emailing him a query for another novel last week. I sent it to psaltisliterary@mpsaltis.com, and got a failure notice saying that the mailbox was full. I waited a week and sent it again. Same failure notice. I'm disappointed about this, especially since there's no other way to contact him.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I sent him an e-mail query a couple of years ago and got a polite rejection from him. This was the address he used then: michael@mpsaltis.com

Yep, waylander has the same one I used.

Tri

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    I sent a query to the recommended address on October 14, 2007, and had it kicked back marked "mailbox full" like "Queen of Swords."

A second attempt to the "michael@mpsaltis.com" address later that same day was not kicked back, but I have received no response to date (January 13, 2008). Today I tried the first address again with a followup request, and again it was kicked back. I just sent another copy of the followup to the second address. It seems to have gone through, and we'll see if there's a response this time.

practical experience, FTW
    I tried the agency address psaltisliterary@mpsaltis.com came back undeliverable used the Michael address and it worked today.

He Got Ran Off.
    If I could point out the perfect agent, it would have to be Michael Psaltis. The lament from agents and agencies is that they get hundreds or even thousands of queries (a day, week, month, year, you choose the time frame).
    This guy has the agent thing figured out. Consider, that he does not accept snail mail queries. All queries must go to his email box, that is frequently full. He reads queries at his convenience, which frees up a spot or two that you can occasionally slip your query into. I think that he works smarter, not harder, and in my opinion, that makes him the perfect agent.
    Now, if I could just get my query into his email box…

Hmm, mpsaltis.com is gone, and the last sale under that name was in '08. Looks like his full attention is with The Culinary Cooperative now (div. of Regal Literary) : http://www.culinarycoop.com/index.html
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    He's still listed on AAR's site as a current member.

Expert Procrastinator AlterEgox5's Avatar
    Hey guys, I just sent him an email asking him if he's strictly cooking now or if he does indeed rep other areas. I'll be sure to post back his answer should I receive one.

According to Linkedin.com Culinary Cooperative is now Cea (Culinary Entertainment Agency) and is a literary and talent agency, based in New York City and focused on the culinary and lifestyle market.

Updating link: www.the-cea.com/default.html

ETA: and again: http://www.the-cea.com/
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 02-03-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: updating w/o bumping
    ICAO
    ---------