Using quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I have a quick question. I've written an essay in which the person I wrote about was impacted by a quote from Tom Brokaw's book, The Greatest Generation Speaks. It's a paragraph long and is written in it's entirety in the essay along with Tom's name (yeah, we're on a first name basis). Do I need to have his permission before I can send it out? Will potential magazines not want to use it for any reason because of the quote? If so, I just can't use the article because it was a turning point when the article was shared.

Lavinia

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I don't think one paragraph out of an entire book would be problematic. But I'd recommend, along with crediting Brokaw, you also cite the book and the related info - publisher, date, ISBN etc.

If the mag feels it needs Brokaw's personal go-ahead, they'll let you know.

Good luck with it.

Ashleen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AshleenOGaea.com
It may not be up to the author of a book to give permission to quote from it.

I wanted to quote a few paragraphs from another book (still not a signifant portion of that work) in one of mine, and to be safe rather than sorry, checked with the permissions department of the book's publisher. Turns out they wanted me to pay for the permission.

I would have done so, but there was a deadline, and as I did not sell my book by the deadline, I chose to let it pass. Now if -- er, er no, no, I mean when -- I sell my book, I'll either have to paraphrase, or go through the permission-requesting process again.

All blessings,
Ashleen

Status
Not open for further replies.