The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Goldfarb & Associates

Kilgore Trout

[Agency] Goldfarb & Associates

Has anyone had any experience with Ronald Goldfarb, a DC lawyer and literary agent? Probably more of lawyer, Iím thinking. Still, I can only find good things about him, except for P&E, which says ďCharges fee. Not recommended.Ē Heís requested my ms, but hasnít said a word about fees. So Iím wondering what to expect.

Gone
    Trout, Dave doesn't post comments without verification. If he says this agent charges fees, he has proof the agent charges fees. Most of the time, fees come up when the agent gives you the good news that your MS has been accepted, when you're less likely to balk.

Yog's Law: Money flows toward the writer. Fees are a bad sign. You can do better than a fee-charging agent.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    This agent does charge an upfront fee ($250 at last report, due on contract signing). He also has a pretty solid track record.

- Victoria

Kilgore Trout
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
    This agent does charge an upfront fee ($250 at last report, due on contract signing). He also has a pretty solid track record.

- Victoria
    Thank you, Victoria. That's the info I was looking for.

Author Waiting in the Wings Maprilynne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss

- Victoria

A solid track record? Really?!? That's so weird to me. Why would you charge fees if you had a good track record? Just goes to show that there is some kind of variety among these scammers.

Thanks for the info, Victoria.

Maprilynne
    Wings: the first of four from Harper Teen debuting May 5th, 2009.

You can Pre-Order my book from Amazon!
    (Come on, you know you want to.)

Kilgore Trout
    Gosh, now Iím sorry I posted the question, if itís going to get him labeled. I think this page is interesting: http://www.publishingtrends.com/copy...302agents.html

My take on it is that some of these agent/lawyers handle a different crowd. Especially where there may be some legal work involved, and where you need particular connections (e.g., Goldfarb is a Washington insider). Also interesting is that the rich and famous donít pay the 15% like we do. Less than 1/2% for Hillary Clintonís book, for instance.

Rich and famous...where do I sign up?

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    [
    Rich and famous...where do I sign up?[/quote]

When you find out, let me know.
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Quote Originally Posted by Maprilynne
    A solid track record? Really?!? That's so weird to me. Why would you charge fees if you had a good track record? Just goes to show that there is some kind of variety among these scammers.
    We need to be careful with labels. Not every agent who charges an upfront fee is a scammer. Many are amateur or incompetent agents who aren't selling any manuscripts and have to ask for handouts from their clients to keep their businesses afloat. A small handful--and I mean small--are successful agents who for whatever reason don't follow the generally accepted practice of letting submissions costs accrue or billing them only after they're incurred.

The bottom line is track record, folks. A good agent has one. A bad agent doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
    Also interesting is that the rich and famous donít pay the 15% like we do. Less than 1/2% for Hillary Clintonís book, for instance.
    Hillary Clinton didn't pay 15% not because she's rich and famous, but because she didn't use an agent. She hired a lawyer and paid him an hourly fee.

- Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by jbraykr
    I'm not saying there aren't scoundrels who are lawyers, simply that there's less opportunity for malfeasance in lawyering, than in being an agent.
    I think our own Jaws, a lawyer, would probably disagree.

I'll leave to further investigation whether Ronald Goldfarb asks for money upfront as part of his agent's or lawyer's fee. The fact that it's blurred is somewhat bothersome.
    It's not blurred in the least. The fee is for literary representation.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I was researching Ronald Goldfarb and I read his website. I then read through this thread in which Victoria said that it was his track record that matters.

I also saw that P&E now has this: Ronald Goldfarb: $ "an experienced trial lawyer and a veteran literary agent, as well as the author of 10 books and over 250 articles" with Goldfarb & Associates. (The "not recommended" that P&E had in 2006 is apparently gone, and there is nothing to indicate that Goldfarb is charging an upfront fee.)

Everything seems OK with Goldfarb, but I'm new here and I'm new to querying agents. It looks to me like he is a solid thumbs up, but I will leave it up to Victoria and others to say whether or not there are any issues.

http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealr.htm

http://www.ronaldgoldfarb.com/
    Last edited by ExposingCorruption; 02-05-2008 at 09:02 AM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Robbie Hare just requested a full. I'll let everybody know how it goes.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Ron Goldfarb represents liberal writers- like Diane Reihm, Bill Press, and others. He is very influential within liberal media circles and tends to prefer books that are inflamatory and advance the liberal cause, etc.

He does charge an up front fee of $250 for postage and handling.