• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Toni Lopopolo Literary Management

spywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this agency?? Thanks!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like Toni Lopopolo of Literary Management (in PA), is the same person as Toni Lopopolo Literary Agency in NY. Google's finding lots of bio blurbs from workshops and the like:

Toni Lopopolo, literary agent, with 35 years experience in the book publishing business, was executive editor at Macmillan and St. Martin’s Press in New York City. She also teaches fiction writing at Temple University.
So she’s got the background, at least. I suggest a polite inquiry as to what she's sold recently, since she doesn't seem to have any web presence.

Sophie

Registered
Reaction score
Toni Lopopolo

My only experience with her goes back some years. She asked to see a partial, I believe, and then replied that I should attend her writing class being given Saturday mornings in a town near Philadelphia. It appeared that her representation of my book was dependent on my taking her classes. I declined, of course. I've seen her listed among well-known literary agents but haven't even looked at any of those listings. I don't know whether or whom she represents. I did see a reference to her among a self-publishing group of writers, also near Philadelphia, and that was some time ago.

vavavoom04

Susan Setteducato - Literary agent

I can't seem to find any sort of web presence for this woman. Wondered if anyone has ever dealt with her? She is an associate of Toni Lopopolo, who does have some web presence.

Any intelligence is totally appreciated!

peace!

vavavoom04

Thank you

Hey very cool of you to provide some insights... Much appreciated.

ciao.. :)

ichMael

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mail.moment.net
Toni Lopolo Literary Agency?

I got a request for some material from the Toni Lopolo Literary Agency, of Coopersburg, Pennsylvania. Can't find anything about the agency on the web. Do any of you know about them?

Thanks.

Mike

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The name is Toni Lopopolo, and there's a thread about her here.

Google her and see what you think.

Last edited:

ichMael

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mail.moment.net
Ah! A dropped syllable. Obviously I need her writing course. The contact was actually from a "Susan" in the agency, and I suppose that's the person mentioned above. At least my posting should serve to show that they're still active, as of this date. I'll post again if I pursue anything with them. Thanks again.

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
At least one of the clients listed on her website, the author of "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves," had his book published through Strategic Book Publishing. Make of that what you will.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
It appears as if Ms. Lopopolo represents fiction as well. Queried 5/25/2013.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Toni Lopopolo (literary agent)

Last night I queried Toni Lopopolo www.lopopololiterary.com

Within an hour she'd responded with this: "this could be so good if only you'd clean up the writing. I'd do if for you if you say okay. then we'll see? let me know.

Toni"

I responded with: "You mean you'd clean up the writing? I'm sorry, I'm just a bit confused."

Her last response: "yes of what you sent me"

I find this extremely odd, and have never had an agent respond this way, whether their response is a rejection or a request. I read the old thread on here last night before I queried, and did some research on her. The only thing I found that was questionable was that she also teaches a fiction writing class.

Anyway, I don't plan to respond. I wanted to share this and also see if anyone else has gotten a similar response from her?

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
Last night I queried Toni Lopopolo www.lopopololiterary.com

Within an hour she'd responded with this: "this could be so good if only you'd clean up the writing. I'd do if for you if you say okay. then we'll see? let me know.

Toni"

I responded with: "You mean you'd clean up the writing? I'm sorry, I'm just a bit confused."

Her last response: "yes of what you sent me"

I find this extremely odd, and have never had an agent respond this way, whether their response is a rejection or a request. I read the old thread on here last night before I queried, and did some research on her. The only thing I found that was questionable was that she also teaches a fiction writing class.

Anyway, I don't plan to respond. I wanted to share this and also see if anyone else has gotten a similar response from her?

Somewhere in one of her interviews she calls herself a "compulsive editor". Maybe she's jonesing and your manuscript is the fix. :)

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Haha!! I'm not offended that she thinks the writing needs to be cleaned up. But it worries me that this is her response before asking for more material or anything. It just seems totally weird. And her lack of punctuation and capitalization freaks me out. I'm an English teacher, though. So maybe we're both a little compulsive!

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
If that was her response verbatim, strange syntax and mispellings and all, I would not feel comfortable having her "clean up the writing." And I'd probably drop her from consideration as an agent, too.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. That's verbatim. I have not responded. Of course I really, really, really, really want an agent...but not enough to sign with a bad agent!

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I couldn't stand it. My curiosity got the better of me. After her odd replies, I wanted to know what she was going to say, so I told her she could "clean up" what I sent her, which was the first 3 chapters.

At 3:27 p.m. today I gave her the go-ahead. At 4:01 today this is the response that I got:

"you need to own 2 books to help you. tend to use passive voice instead of active (stronger) and that first sentence has too many words by 50%. mouthful tmi. I tried to edit a bit but the books will help you more: Self-Editing For Fiction Writers by Renni Browne and Dave King and Stein On Writing by Sol Stein. Start with the dancing man then let the reader know that A watches from the house she moved into from Chicago. You can't use "as" to denote two actions that happen at once -- impossible to do but also weakens the impact of the writing by showing two actions happening at once. See page 192 in Self-Editing. Look up Passive Voice. Best of luck. Fo not send this draft to anyone until you edit the novel well."

This is her exact response. I have not edited it AT ALL, and that is the entirety of the message. I mean, it is amost completely incoherent. As hilarious as this is, I just want to make everyone aware that unless you're just idly curious, don't waste your time.

PRDavid

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Just for fun I queried and got a response within an hour. She said I needed "editing like crazy" and passed. Curious, because I've had two editors look over the manuscript, I asked her what she would have changed (I had sent the opening five pages). And she listed many of the things listed here previously.

She also asked if either of my two "Profession" editors (Her spelling, not mine) were NYC editors?

I e-mailed back that one was from NYC and that I find the whole if it doesn't have a NYC connection then its not fit to publish is a bunch of crap. I added that if this was her attitude then she was not the agent I need or want to represent me and my work.

I would not recommend anyone else query her.

PRDavid

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Whoops, too late, I already queried her. A few days ago. And I got no response at all. I have no idea if this is good, bad or indifferent.

Well, based on my experience, I would say this is probably good.

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what her end-game is? I haven't taken the time to research the books she suggested, so maybe she stands to gain from telling writers to buy them. I don't know, but everything about her is truly bizarre.