MJ Rose: How To Publish and Promote Online

Deleted member 42

Masher said:
Greetings good people. I was wondering if any of have read MJ Rose's book

How To Publish and Promote Online (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312271913/qid=1147746499/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0907602-5580753?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I read an interview about her and she sounded on the up and up but I have learned nothing is ever what it seems. Do you think I should spend my hard earned money on her?

Absolutely not; I've heard her speak, twice, and she's . . . naif is the kindest thing I can say. I've also been asked to review two of her books, and I sent them back; I couldn't finish them.

The key to marketing and promoting online is to provide good content, but the real extra valuable sekrit is to have a Really Good Book.

cwfgal

On the rocks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethamos.com
I haven't read this particular book so I can't vouch for it but MJ does have some significant experience and knowledge about online marketing. She marketed her first novel, Lip Service, online quite successfully (she sold it as an ebook download from her own web site) and then made publishing history when it became the first self-published book or ebook to be picked up by a standard NYC publisher (Pocket books, I believe.) Since then she has had several more novels published, has been profiled in Forbes, Newsweek, and other such magazines, offers online courses on marketing or "buzzing" your book through the Writers Weekly site, and has coauthored a book on the subject with a good friend of mine. I've read several of her books and they are well written.

You can read more about her here: http://www.mjrose.com/about/index.html

Beth

Deleted member 42

But her advice, in the two talks I heard, regarding online marketing including sending unsolicited email, posting comments designed to sell your book, and other stupid, offensive and nasty tricks.

She also has serious issues with subject - verb agreement, and comma splices -- two things that you rarely ever see in a professionally published book.

Publishers really do provide a service.

Masher

Not Spam

maestrowork said:
Looks like a SPAM...

No . Not spam.

I read about her in an interview.

I have a book idea that I know can work but I I don't want to be a target for book packagers. I would rather do this on my own and I am looking at e-publishing.

I will definitely take the book out of the library.

Thank you for moving the question.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi Masher! Sorry about the spam references... it's hard to tell sometimes.

What do you mean by "a target for book packagers"?