Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
spike said:
The permalink for her post is : http://raleva31.livejournal.com/27197.html

This is her bio:
I've been an agent at Lowenstein-Yost Associates (www.lowensteinyost.com) since January 2006. Prior to this, I worked as an assistant agent with the Donald Maass Literary Agency. Before moving to NYC, I lived in Cincinnati, Ohio and worked at Writer's Digest Books for 4 years as an editor. I grew up in Northern Kentucky.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Guys, a reminder from the first post, please:

Let's keep this a very focused thread.

Here's what belongs in it:

-Short comments from professional writers, editors, and agents about why they oppose PA, and a statement to the effect of "I never submitted a manuscript to PA."

-Quotes (with links) from websites of pro writers, editors, and agents to that same effect.

No commentary in this thread, please. Use rep comments or PMs to comment, or comment in the NEPAT Overflow. This thread's strictly business. Thanks!

I'll move the other comments to their own thread.

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Shoot, you moved the conversation, but this quote directly impacts that, and it's a quote from a professional.

From Rachel Vater's latest blog entry...

If you have published with AuthorHouse, PublishAmerica, iUniverse, or Xlibris previously, please do not list that as a publishing credit. Because you know I’m going to look it up and find out.

otto

Registered
Reaction score
I have one book that I contracted with Publish America. I already know they aren't any good. They have promised me 8% royalties. Do they actually pay those royalties or do I have to sue them to get them to live up to their own contract?

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
That's a good question, Otto. At any rate, 8% of whatever overpriced books you end up selling out of your trunk at area flea markets isn't likely to be much. Shake off the dust and write another one.

She Raven

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Boy, that's so easy to say when you're not the one submitting and getting rejected. My favorite comment is your MS is not what we're looking for now. Oh, you mean that the u are listed in Writer's Market as taking on mysteries, thrillers, suspense... you get the idea, and the writing is great but we just can't. The biggest racket I have ever seen, boy, I thought the medical field was nuts, quess u can tell I'm having a bad day? Well this chick is going to self publish the darn thing, to hell with the money, I just wanted to tell a great story.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Um, She Raven, most people here HAVE been the ones submitting and getting rejected. Several times over. Have you thought about submitting your query letter here, to the Share Your Work forum, for advice? Or looking in the critique partners forum for a beta reader to see if your work couldn't be polished up a bit?

Before you go to self-publishing (not that there's anything WRONG with that) maybe you should spend some time here - there are many resources you won't find anyplace else.

And you won't spend one thin dime on them. :)

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
I wrote twelve novels before I sold one. Do I understand what it is to write a novel, rewrite it, submit it, and have it rejected? Over and over and over? Why yes, I do.

My fear was not that I would see my story go untold. I have more than one story to tell. I even rewrote a couple of my favorites as my writing improved.

My fear was sending a crappy novel out into the world, or even sending out one that was simply not ready for prime time. I wasn't about to demand a few hours out of the life of a fellow human being to read something that wasn't worthy. I possess basic logic; I thought the folks who published the books I loved should be able judges of what was good.

I am a writer; writing is my craft. It took me a long time to learn my craft. I am proud that I finally made it. I am very glad I didn't force my early work on anyone.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Well this chick is going to self publish the darn thing, to hell with the money, I just wanted to tell a great story.

That's fine, if what you want is for fifty or a hundred people -- who you already know by name -- to be the only ones to read your book.

If you want to find out why books get rejected, may I recommend you read Slushkiller, and take it to heart?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
What Uncle Jim said, She Rraven.

Perhaps a good beta reader from AW can help get that MS ready for the big leagues! But if you must self-pub, then go with Lulu--the prices will be much more reasonable for friends and family, and the book will be easier to order for on-line fans.

Typo alert for MySpace: It's spelled fiery, not firey.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Dertie Bertie

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't send to PA if they paid me. Apparently, they don't. I'd find an indy publisher that pays for the publishing, marketing, etc, and takes their cut from the back end.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Posting opinions here from professionals in the publishing industry in a central spot appears to be a good idea. It might be worthwhile to encourage more to post here. Maybe one of them will be instrumental in convincing a new writer not to sign with PA if the new writer sees a recognized professional name known to that writer stating the truth about PA.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
A blog from one of the authors at Samhain Publishing...

Friends don't let friends...

Umm..they're giving the guy 100 free copies of his book in exchange for legal help with "some people trying to sue them"? Shouldn't a judge be notified of that? It sounds kind of like a conflict of interest to me (but of course I don't actually know, I'm not an attorney.)

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
Umm..they're giving the guy 100 free copies of his book in exchange for legal help with "some people trying to sue them"? Shouldn't a judge be notified of that? It sounds kind of like a conflict of interest to me (but of course I don't actually know, I'm not an attorney.)

No conflict if he is acting as their legal counsil. However, the IRS frowns upon barter.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Oh, okay, I misread it. They ARE giving him a hundred free copies.

So, essentially they're paying the guy $200 or so for his legal advice? Assuming they use the big Xerox machine, it can't cost more than $2/copy. Let's be generous and say $5. So $500 for legal help? Guess who got the better end of THAT deal?

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
No conflict if he is acting as their legal counsil. However, the IRS frowns upon barter.

Actually, there is a form for reporting barter deals. IRS is fine so long as you report the receivable side as income.

Why are they asking some guy to do legal work for them on a barter basis if they have Vic on staff?

I am just guessing, but Mr. Cretella is probably not a member of every bar. There is a difference between how each state and even each court handles cases and trials. They may see a benefit in having a local person represent them.

It may just be that they saw a chance to save some bucks on legal fees and this guy saw a chance to grab a few books for his clients.

Last edited:

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Agent Colleen Lindsay of Fine Print Literary has listed among her reasons for rejecting a query:

You told me that you were previously published by someone like PublishAmerica...and meant it. This is akin to telling me that you would consider yourself previously published if you had Xeroxed pages of your manuscript and stapled them together.

This was from her blog. You can find the rest of her reasons here.