Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrea Hurst & Associates Literary Management

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Andrea Hurst & Associates Literary Management

Does anyone have any info on this agent? The listing on Preditors and Editors links to their website but there is no other information.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://www.andreahurst.com/index.html

While the books listed are with solid publishers, only one (Jane Merrill's "Great Legs") is with a publisher that requires an agent.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Thanks. The website looked legit to me, but I wouldn't have known the bit about only one publisher requiring an agent.

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

Hearing from Ms. Hurst

Hi --

Has anybody queried Andrea Hurst lately? I'm wondering how long I should wait before sending a follow-up e-mail for a non-fiction query (sent via e-mail).

Her website isn't specific ("it may take weeks to hear back"); I e-mailed my query 5 weeks ago.

And yes, the website says she accepts e-mail queries ...
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

I e-queried Judy Mikalonis at that agency on 11/28/06 and got a rejection that same day.

Does anyone have more recent experience with this agent? When this thread was started, it appears as though she had sold only one book to a publisher that required an agent. Anything since then...i mean in terms of women's fiction, romance in particular. All the stuff listed on her website appear to be nonfiction, although it states that she is looking for women's fiction.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Quill Chick; 10-17-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: For clarification because there are many nonfiction books on her site.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    I'd email her and ask what women's fiction she's sold and to whom.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I sent Andrea a query on 1/13 and today she requested a 100-page partial, a synopsis and a chapter summary. I submitted it as a "commercial" novel with strong female characters.
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

The partial arrived on 1/31 and rejected on 2/1.

Very quick request and rejection turnaround time.
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

practical experience, FTW
    Hello! Andrea is my agent. I am extremely pleased with her representation! She has represented me on two nonfiction books so far, and I feel that she goes above and beyond the call of duty.

Andrea works with major NYC publishers all the time. (Both of my books were sold to Penguin, for example.) One of the two books in question is already out, and I am currently working (under contract) on the second one.

She has been lovely to work with, and extremely responsive to emails, phone calls, etc. I hope many of you will strongly consider querying her!

Cheers!

- hopeful

Beach sand in his ear ... AussieBilly's Avatar

I'm at the wait and see stage ... but looks good

Queried Verna Dreisbach, a new agent with Andrea Hurst & company via email on Wednesday ... got a response the same day asking for bio, synopsis and first 100 pages. I had to ask a question and got a quick response. Must say the tone of the emails was friendly and supportive.

The main point is that Ms Dreisbach suggested that I use https://printonline.fedexkinkos.com/
    to send the material. As I live in Australia, this was near perfect. Instead of envelopes, stamps, airplanes or ships and two countries postal services, I simply downloaded the material to the Kinko's website. Within three hours they had printed it, collated it and had it ready for pickup. Only later did I see I could have, for a fee, had it delivered. Like so much, I'm afraid to admit, this works best in the US as FedEx and Kinko's are almost non-existent off shore. Too bad but give it all time ..

Back to Andrea Hurst Literary Management -- they have my material so all I can do is wait and see ... and hope and trust they recognize good stuff when they get it.

That's all ... I'll let you know the outcome ...

Somewhere in the hills.... Appalachian Writer's Avatar
    Back to Andrea Hurst Literary Management -- they have my material so all I can do is wait and see ... and hope and trust they recognize good stuff when they get it.
    Good luck, AussieBilly! May the writing gods be with you.
    Remember; GONE WITH THE WIND was rejected 132 times!

http://wkeverhart.blogspot.com
    http://raphaelsvillage.com/
    working revisions:
    book 1...now at 97,702 complete! finished.
    book 2...now at 40,551

I got a request for the first 100 pages, synopsis and author bio from Verna Dreisbach as well. I don't have the specific type of synopsis she requested (chapter by chapter) so I'm working on that before sending it along.

practical experience, FTW
    Best of luck to both of you, AussieBilly and tomothecat! They are nice folks and effective agents.

hopeful

figuring it all out
    Verna Dreisbach responded to my partial (my novel is a thriller with a horse racing backdrop) the same day she received it, asking to see the rest of the manuscript. Her correspondence has been professional and extremely fast so far. So cross your fingers for me and I'll let everybody know how it turns out.

Partial rejected 5/15.

Halfway between here and there Maui Author's Avatar
    Good luck with the partial Taft!

Bummer about the R Tomo.
    Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who donít want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.
    - Randy Pausch

Beach sand in his ear ... AussieBilly's Avatar
    Nice to see this thread continuing ... my bit is dated March of last year so, if you don't mind, I'll offer this update. Verna Dreisbach must be a delightful person, the kind I would like very much to work with. However a few weeks after receiving my ms I was given the "sorry, we cannot represent your submission at this time" letter. One of the nicer rejections.
    Since then I offered the piece to a number of other agencies and one went so far as to write in a couple paragraphs why she was turning my story down. A first time that has ever happened to me! Taking her comments in hand, I decided to let this story 'rest' for a while and started a new one ... incorporating those comments as suggestions. Needless to say the new story is coming along quite well and I like it a lot. (I know, writers like everything they write) Anyhow, I view all this as being positive.
    Like the man says ... Keep writing!

Verna not at Hurst??

I queried Verna Dreisbach at Andrea Hurst the other day and got the following response:

>> Thank you for your query. At this time, I am not accepting queries or submissions through Andrea Hurst Literary Management. You are welcome to query:

Andrea Hurst
    Andrea Hurst Literary Management
    andrea@andreahurst.com

and/or

Verna Dreisbach
    Dreisbach Literary Management
    verna@dreisbachliterary.com
    www.dreisbachliterary.com

Thank you,
    Verna

--
    Verna Dreisbach
    Associate Agent
    ANDREA HURST LITERARY MGMT
    P.O. Box 5379
    El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
    (916) 804-5016
    www.andreahurst.com

<<

Does it seem strange to anyone else that she's advertising her own agency but still using the Hurst sig? Should I re-query her - both?

Confused.

Garmani

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

figuring it all out
    Garmani,
    That's odd. She's had my full since 6/14, haven't heard anything re. her leaving Andrea Hurst. Now you've got me a tad concerned. Hopefully my ms. won't slip through the cracks.

I could be wrong here, but is it possible she's still there, but is no longer accepting submissions? As in, her client list is getting too full? That was my take on her letter.

As for requerying, I'd advise looking into those two agents, then going with the one who suits your book the most

Edit: I reread your post. Yeah, query them both; I didn't realize they were from different agencies--eeps!

Quote Originally Posted by Barber View Post
    I could be wrong here, but is it possible she's still there, but is no longer accepting submissions? As in, her client list is getting too full? That was my take on her letter.

As for requerying, I'd advise looking into those two agents, then going with the one who suits your book the most

Edit: I reread your post. Yeah, query them both; I didn't realize they were from different agencies--eeps!

Seems she forgot to edit her sig on her email though. Very strange. I couldn't find anything in any of my normal research spots that makes note of this change. It has to be quite recent.

I met Ms. Dreisbach at the BEA Writer's Conference. She seemed very nice. (Not that that has anything to do with this....)
    Garmani

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

practical experience, FTW ChelseaWriter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CTaft View Post
    Garmani,
    That's odd. She's had my full since 6/14, haven't heard anything re. her leaving Andrea Hurst. Now you've got me a tad concerned. Hopefully my ms. won't slip through the cracks.
    She's had my partial for several weeks. Sounds to me (just from this thread) like she's definitely breaking out on her own. Curiouser and curiouser...

It seems to me like she's finishing up her notice (two weeks' notice, a month's notice, whatever they've agreed on) at Andrea Hurst, and wants any new projects sent to her at her new address.

WOW!

I queried Verna 6-2-08. Recieved request(Same Day) for Chap synopsis, first 50 pages, bio, orginal query letter. In here request she indicated I could mail or use the Kinkos in El Dorado Hills. But her sig. was clearly affiliated with Andrea Hurst. I did the Kinkos thing. Took me a while to prepare the Chap Synopsis but I sent it Sat 6-14-08 Kinkos reported it was picked up 6-18-08. They do not deliver to Post office boxs.

After reading the update on this thread just now, I sent an email to her new address to ask if she in fact recieved my work. I'll let you know when I hear back - Dutch

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast