I’m going for breadth rather than depth, and have chosen eight completely new categories and four repeats, though several books could fall under various categories. Numbers #5, #6, and #10 are long and/or written over a century ago, which makes them doubly challenging, but I found them among my father’s books and am very intrigued by them. I think the authors of #5 and #6 were brother and sister, and #5’s husband was an ancestor of mine (I think).

1. Howdy, stranger: a book about immigrants or immigration. The Road Home by Rose Tremain.
  2. Do you read about a land down under? A book about or set in Australia, New Zealand or the Pacific Islands. The people in the trees by Hanya Yanagihara.
  3. Vast critical acclaim: a book that has won a prestigious award. The buried giant by Kazuo Shiguro, winner of the 2017 Nobel Prize for Literature.
  4. Freebies: A book obtained legally without paying for. Burial rites by Hannah Kent. (Given to me by my sister).
  5. Run for the border: A book set in Central or Latin America. Life in Mexico by Frances Erskine Inglis, Madame Calderón de la Barca.
  6. Anyward ho! A tavel book. Rambles in the footsteps of Don Quixote by Henry Davis Inglis.
  7. War is hell: a book about war, in the lines or the home front, fiction or non-fiction. The dust that falls from dreams by Louis de Bernières
  8. The butler might have done it: a mystery. Treason by the book by Jonathan Spence.
  9. Out of the park on first bat: a debut novel. The tiger’s wife by Téa Obreht.
  10. What your great grandparents read: A book written more than 75 years before I was born: I will repay by Baroness Orczy.
  11. Get on with it already: A book that’s been on my TBR shelf over a year. Bone Mountain by Eliot Pattison.
  12. Loose ends: A book started last year and not yet finished. The man in the queue by Josephine Tey.