Festive South Park style Krampus, with St. Nicholas

How To Support AW

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

Buy Scrivener 3 for macOS (Regular Licence)

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Alternating POV and story structure question.

Threaded View

practical experience, FTW
    I would also consider the significance of the beats - is there a purpose to mirroring them exactly? I have three timelines woven throughout my WIP, but only make a point of lining up beats between the timelines if it's HUGELY significant and I want the reader to have a direct compare/contrast of motivations for certain plot points, like these scenes MUST read back to back for maximum dramatic effect.

I wouldn't consider matching beats perfectly - I would be more concerned with flow of story. I would only make a grueling effort to mirror them if it served a structural/aesthetic purpose. If mirroring beats forces your story to read unnaturally, by prolonging or forcing conflict that would otherwise flow more effectively without following that structure to a T, I wouldn't worry about it.

It might be interesting, for example, if two separate POV characters are each on the hero's journey, but one makes a decision that aligns him "good" and one makes a decision that aligns him "evil." The juxtaposition of those turning points back-to-back could be interesting. I'm also assuming that would be pivotal to the story.
    Last edited by blackcat777; 12-28-2017 at 02:53 AM.