Those who shall not be named

droe261117

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly apologies if this thread has already been covered or is in the wrong place.

In my novel Intend to us a near miss nuclear incident as the catalyst, I had wanted to blame it on a certain country but is this still done and would it impact on my ability to publish later? I know the James Bond novels use the 'old enemy' of Russia but obviously these were written at the height of the Cold War.

Damian

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this to Novels, where you'll have more responses.

bmr1591

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt blaming it on certain countries would make you not get published, but it may make it more difficult to get your book in that country.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the target. If it's America, remember the US isn't as popular it used to be.

Canadian sees your book on the shelf: "Canada nukes the US? HELL YEAH." Buys ten copies.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
If you're talking about an incident involving nuclear weapons, you're confined to a few countries.

(Side note: I would read the hell out of a book in which Canada nukes the USA.)

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score

Nukes the southern USA, maybe. Gotta remember, our population is almost entirely concentrated along our southern border (where it's a mite warmer), so it'd be suicidal to aim for anything north of Colorado.

And then we'd pass out from lack of air because we're using it all up saying "Sorry...sorry...sorry..." to Mexico.

Last edited:

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score

A polite nuclear war? Now there's a twist no one would see coming.

"We didn't want to do this. Believe me, it hurts us more than it hurts you."

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
If you're talking about an incident involving nuclear weapons, you're confined to a few countries.

I wonder about that... in this world, with all the missing uranium etc., I think someone with enough money could find someone to at least sell them a suitcase nuke.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I wonder about that... in this world, with all the missing uranium etc., I think someone with enough money could find someone to at least sell them a suitcase nuke.

I hadn't considered that! When I read the OP, I immediately thought of something much bigger because of the 'near miss' idea.

Tbdanny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rychillacases.tumblr.com
I think only one of the Bond films had Russia as the baddies. The rest, if I recall correctly, had a terrorist organisation called SPECTRE or independent players. Perhaps that would be the way to go, making up your own villainous organisation?

As for where they'd get a nuke, I recall reading that the KGB made some briefcase 'city buster' nukes which aren't accounted for to this day. Perhaps this could be how your bad guys get one. For added plot, as it's a Russian device, you could make it look like it was Russia at first, as a, ahem, red herring. (Pun intended.)

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
North Korea and Iran have nuclear weapons capability or close and plausibly enough animosity.

Rogue white nationalists getting their hands on a nuclear weapon would be a novel choice of villains.

An extremist coming to power in an otherwise stable democracy is a believable plotline these days.

Justification for a war or draconian domestic surveillance program could be a motive for a government to frame another country for an attempted nuclear attack.