The I)ragon flies in to say Hello!!!

13ookI)ragon

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, new here!
This awesome place was recommended to me by someone from NaNoWriMo. I'm looking for a forum that is a Home Away From Home sorta deal. I am looking to make friends and learn more things about writing.
I've been writing since 5th grade at least, but only just recently have I thought to actually try and make something out of my idle writings, so I have picked up plenty of books on the craft of writing and have been hunting for that special place to love. All of my schooling I was told to be a writer is not a career and that I couldn't make anything out of my joy for writing, but the world has opened up with new opportunities like KDP and other self publishing platforms. I'd like to start with self publishing, but I have something I have been working on for the last five years that i want to be in print and by an actual publisher. Though that project is still ten years or so down the line.
I write dark stuff, really quite dark that I would not feel comfortable for family, or even friends to read. I have been trying to go fluffier, or at least not as scary as my old stuff was. It is working quite well, as I find I can't fill in a lot of the darker scenarios I had done. My current project is a supernatural romance, that has spanned three books already. I have no idea if I will set it up from multiple POV's like Song of Ice and Fire, or like a normal Romance with two MC's each book. I do however feel that despite not reading much of it, my long term choice of writing is Fantasy/Supernatural. My Baby that has been in the works for 5 years or so is a fantasy supernatural mix with anything that goes bump in the night. Vampires, werewolves of course, but then Dragons, Selkies and other shifter breeds are the main characters currently, plus Assassins and witches.. I mean you need Assassins.. oh and Zombies.. sort of.
I spent most of my younger years reading romances, and I mean Zebra and Heartfelt Romances. So you'd think I could write a decent romance, but the romancy part just wont come to my fingertips, haha. Currently my love is all for Brandon Sanderson and I just started the Wheel of Time series, made a killing and found the first 6 books at a thrift store for 50cents each! Of course, I am a Harry Potter Fan. It is what actually started my love for reading, before I picked up the third book, I haaaated reading. I had a speech impediment and it was suggested I read aloud.. all the time. We had an odd grading system for reading in grade school, tallying up points. I went for the biggest book on the shelf, just thinking, oh man, get all the points out of the way. But I ended up falling in love. The next year I ended up convincing another friend who hated reading to try harry potter and he fell in love with reading after that too. Sherrilyn Kenyon is also another of my favorites, but I stopped reading them a few books after Styxx, so I'm not as caught up. Oh and I love my classics, I love getting the really nicely bound versions from Costco.
Fahrenheit 451 is my favorite book, it is a terrifying world that I would hate to live in, but still a great book.
I just started my college experience and have chosen to major in English, because I know my grammar and spelling and everything is bad. xD with a side of Marketing because I like being able to pinpoint what causes someone to buy something, the psychology behind it anyways. Plus, with a goal to be a self publisher, it would greatly help. With this Supernatural Romance I am working, it is going slow, just because I am learning how to put a full book together instead of just random scenes in my head. I hope to have it done and published by the end of next year all three books, maybe more if the world and characters keep fighting with me, Haha.
As a heads up, I do not know how to socialize, at all. I can come off as rude without meaning to be, or spoiled. Which I am. very very spoiled, haha. I am living my dream life, with my dream husband, puppy dog, fish and chickens.. outside of that.. is another matter entirely. >.> family life, oiy.
Oh, the basics. I am a 25 year old female, I live in the very north of California, about two hours away from the Oregon border in the middle of nowhere. closest town is 35 minutes away with the biggest city being 45 to an hour depending on road construction.
And that is kinda the basics of me.. yeup.. yeup..

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
:welcome:

Hurrah for NaNoWriMo! I'm Atalanta over there too, if you ever want to drop me a line. It was such a fun event for me last month. Hope to see you around the boards!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, BookDragon. Folks I know in your area call it the State of Jefferson after a 76-year-old plan for another state between Oregon and California.

Some of the books you like are on my re-read list, too. :greenie

13ookI)ragon

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, yeah a lot of people are very crazy about the State of Jefferson, been a long time, but they are still pushing with billboards and everything! Some people even get upset when you say California and wont accept anything other than State of Jefferson! xD

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Northern CA is great - Every time we drive through from Oregano back down to LA I'm in awe that it's so beautiful.

Welcome! Cool trick with the name - hehe - love it, 13ook I)ragon!