Writing a Book/Collection of Short Stories

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Hello. I have some questions regarding short stories (and eventually publishing them).

1). Most are based after DETAILED dreams I've had, so I was thinking of having an over-looking theme and/or vague connections. Something the readers might be able to figure out. Is that even a good idea?

2). Since they're not novels, should I give the characters names or find other ways to refer to them? Would all these names be weird in a collection?

3). Is a viable for a first-time author to even get published with a collection of short stories?

Thanks!

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
1) great idea! :applause:
2) doesn't matter, whatever you prefer:Sun:

3) very, very, very difficult but you can try publishing individual stories in magazines/anthologies first. If the single stories manage to get audience, then a collection may have a chance.
:e2bouncey

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
+1 to everything Curlz said. The best advice I can give would be to read some recently published short story collections. You'll see how character names are handled, how unifying themes for collections are presented, and so on.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys know of any short story collections I can read?
That's a bit general. How about googling "short story collection" + horses (where horses = whatever your interest is)?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
You might want to consider your primary goal. If it's to write the collection because you love short stories, go for it. You can always self-publish if you want your friends to read it. If it's to be published by a big publisher, get an agent, and all that jazz, you'd have a much better chance with a novel. Collections by big publishers tend to be authors who are already known.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You might want to consider your primary goal. If it's to write the collection because you love short stories, go for it. You can always self-publish if you want your friends to read it. If it's to be published by a big publisher, get an agent, and all that jazz, you'd have a much better chance with a novel. Collections by big publishers tend to be authors who are already known.

Writing a novel IS on my list of things I'd like to do. This idea just seemed easier since I have base material. XD

I might do it that way, however. o.o

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Maria Ale Barrios

Registered
Reaction score
"The interpreter of Maladies" is the best short story collection I ever read.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Had an interesting discussion with an agent at a World Fantasy. I have a collection of short stories that I'd published with a (now-defunct) small publisher. i do have the rights to all the stories, btw. I told him about the concept, the conceit, and about a few of the short stories. His response was "I love it. I can't wait to read it. When is the novel coming out?" Basically, as he explained it to me, unless your name is Gaiman, Prachett, or King, it's almost impossible to sell a short story collection unless you're winning major awards for the stories and have been published in major publications. However, it is possible to sell the collection if you have a novel or two featuring the characters to prime the pump.

I went ahead and published the collection through a friend's small press this past February and it's gotten pretty good reviews and draws a lot of interest at conventions. I'm also rabidly working on the novel and will be sending it to him (and several other agents) when it's completed. I look at the short stories as a great way to learn who the character really was and what kind of world he operated in.

So, I'm not saying not to pursue this effort. Just understand, collections are an even harder sell than an anthology.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
"The interpreter of Maladies" is the best short story collection I ever read.

And here I thought I was the only person on the planet who loved it. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

Jhumpa Lahiri actually inspired me to start writing (or rather, publishing) short fiction. I like her novels, but her short fiction is superb.

Maria Ale Barrios

Registered
Reaction score
it is!

- - - Updated - - -

Melanii, you can work on a novel and write short stories. There are no limits. Unless you have limited time...then that's another story. Best of luck!

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
it is!

- - - Updated - - -

Melanii, you can work on a novel and write short stories. There are no limits. Unless you have limited time...then that's another story. Best of luck!

I have poor focus abilities, so it would be best to wait lol. I have fantasy ideas, but I don't feel like world-building. D: