Seven Little Words: CDC gets list of forbidden words

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Via The Washington Post:

The [current] administration is prohibiting officials at the nation’s top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases — including “fetus” and “transgender” — in any official documents being prepared for next year’s budget.

Policy analysts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta were told of the list of forbidden words at a meeting Thursday with senior CDC officials who oversee the budget, according to an analyst who took part in the 90-minute briefing. The forbidden words are “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence-based” and “science-based.”

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
These guys are such idiots. The professionals working at the CDC must be going nuts with this nonsense.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Right on. And in addition, they're stupid in Washington so even alternative spellings by CDC (e.g. foetus) might sneak by.

Edit: prompted by admin's comment below: There are some people in Washington who may be unaware that there are multiple spellings for some of these words, and so alternative spellings are also an option.

(But, this version of the sentiment is less snappy.)

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Right on. And in addition, they're stupid in Washington so even alternative spellings by CDC (e.g. foetus) might sneak by.

Meh. Much as I'm notafanatall of the current regime, there are lots of smart folks in Washington, still.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
WTAF?

They're bright people at the CDC. They can find some good synonyms and work-arounds. But this is absolute bullshit.

I'm scratching my head over the underlying agendas; I am in particular stumped by the inclusion of "entitlement." Because that's one of the words the #45 and the more anti-public programs funded by taxes people like to use with entirely negative connotations.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
This is double plus ungood.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Another list of seven 'forbidden' words. Where is George Carlin when we need him? Oh, yeah, in another place, shaking his head sadly that things never change.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, a sentence using all of them: It is both science-based and evidence-based that the diversity of the vulnerable transgender fetus is an entitlement.
(It would flow more smoothly if I used the form of 'science and evidence-based' but that seemed to be cheating.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm scratching my head over the underlying agendas; I am in particular stumped by the inclusion of "entitlement." Because that's one of the words the #45 and the more anti-public programs funded by taxes people like to use with entirely negative connotations.
It's the Evangelical extremists that Trump has installed in all sorts of administrative positions.

GW Bush put like-minded people in jobs overseeing NASA and the National Parks. They put limits on NASA referring to or mentioning global warming, but they also instructed NASA personnel in public education jobs or those on the lecture circuit not to mention the Big Bang or anything that conflicted with Christian Creationism.

In the Grand Canyon bookstore they wanted to put religious books claiming the Grand Canyon formed in Noah's Flood in the science section of the book store. Later, after an enormous outpouring from the scientific community they claimed it wasn't true and we were mistaken because the bookstore was small and didn't have a science section.

Dr Phil Plait, The Bad Astronomer, Discovery Magazine: Bush White House still promoting creationism
According to this press release from PEER (Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility), Bush White House appointees are suppressing real science in order to promote creationism. Specifically, at the Grand Canyon National Park, a book is on sale that says the canyon was formed in Noah’s flood. Also, guides at the park are not allowed to answer questions about how old the canyon is, despite scientists’ incredibly detailed and intricate knowledge of the formation mechanism, scheme, and history of the canyon (hint: some of the oldest rocks in the canyon are two billion years old).

How angry does this make me? Well, how hot is a supernova? That’s about the same level.

It’s not bad enough that this White House is stepping on the throat of science everywhere it can, but now this Administration (through proxy appointees) is actively engaging in promoting a belief system which is demonstrably false… oh, and it happens to be unconstitutional, too. The very first Amendment to the U.S. Constitution really could not be any more clear on this....

As one park geologist said, this is equivalent of Yellowstone National Park selling a book entitled Geysers of Old Faithful: Nostrils of Satan…​
I seriously doubt these are the beliefs of Little Donnie Two Scoops (sorry, couldn't help myself :tongue). They are the beliefs of the Evangelicals he's gotten in bed with because they each smell people they can con for their own gain.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
“Diversity”?

”Evidence-based”?

Science-based”?

At least the last two there are easy to replace with: "real" and "fact" and "true."

IIRC "evidence-based" was a capitulation to religious/Fox news/etc, who wanted an even playing field with the established "faith-based" terminology.

I think it's great if we can ditch "evidence based" and go back to "factual."

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
At least the last two there are easy to replace with: "real" and "fact" and "true."

IIRC "evidence-based" was a capitulation to religious/Fox news/etc, who wanted an even playing field with the established "faith-based" terminology.

I think it's great if we can ditch "evidence based" and go back to "factual."

The challenge here is that scientists don't qualify everything, or even most of the things we "know," as facts per se. One generally cannot examine every grain of sand on every beach in the world (metaphorically speaking), so science based knowledge is nearly always theoretical and subject to refinement, even abandonment, if better evidence becomes available. This is something laypeople like to use against scientific theories and hypotheses that are extremely well tested and extremely unlikely to be dethroned. But calling science based information with the word "facts" may well come back to bite us on the butt when some of these ideas are falsified or refined.

The difference, of course, is that a competing theory or hypothesis won't supplant an older one unless the newer one is even more rigorously tested and explains everything the old theory or hypothesis did and more.

The disingenuous Right doesn't care about subjecting their own ideas to the same level of scrutiny, however, and they try to cherry pick data they think are consistent with their own ideas while disregarding the data that falsify them. What they really want is to sow seeds of doubt about the ideas that are inconvenient for their agenda. Dictating the words people can use when discussing theories, hypotheses, and data is part of that strategy.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see stuff like this, and I just want to grab everyone who shrugged off their chance to stop this in 2016 by not voting and shake them senseless...

I keep asking nonvoters on Twitter "Do you still think there is no difference between Trump and Clinton?"

None of them ever answer though.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I find this absolutely chilling. There are things that have made me angry, and things that have made me afraid, but I'm not sure anything's twisted my gut like this one has.

At the risk of playing the "I have friends who are..." card - my daughter knows multiple transgender children. Right now their worries are about how their families and friends are reacting, which is difficult enough. These are people our government is trying to make invisible.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I find this absolutely chilling. There are things that have made me angry, and things that have made me afraid, but I'm not sure anything's twisted my gut like this one has.

This one has me pretty hard too. It's such a familiar move from history.

At the risk of playing the "I have friends who are..." card - my daughter knows multiple transgender children. Right now their worries are about how their families and friends are reacting, which is difficult enough. These are people our government is trying to make invisible.

Yes; this particular word, transgender, is absolutely about about the desire to erase trans people; to deny their very existence.

Well, guess what, they're here, they're queer and they're ours. Transfolk are our parents, our siblings, and our friends. We see them. We won't allow them to be erased.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm trans, queer, and I have not vanished. I'm mad as hell, though.

It only makes me want to be more visible and in your face, since I *do* have a certain amount of privilege and I can safely walk through the world as myself.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
I'm baffled that this is even legal. Double-think at its finest. It's scary.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
But calling science based information with the word "facts" may well come back to bite us on the butt when some of these ideas are falsified or refined.

Yes. You are (absolutely) right, but....

It only makes me want to be more visible and in your face.

I'm with Amergina. Bring it. The people who 'don't like' words like evidence and can't be bothered to understand how a hypothesis differs from a theory aren't going to engage forthrightly regardless.

:tongue

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I expect the CDC science people to be smarter than the White House and work around the terms. Just to piss them off.

> I'm baffled that this is even legal.

It is? Where did you get that?

-cb

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I'm baffled that this is even legal. Double-think at its finest. It's scary.

It's legal if they get away with it. Like seating blatantly unqualified judicial nominees and presidents violating emoluments clauses in the Constitution.

Remember, every government atrocity in any country ever was technically legal because it was made to be legal...