Harlequin's unwritten rules?

Tamby

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what these are?
I think the general Romance rules are pretty clear. No cheating, HEA, etc.. But what are these unwritten rules I keep hearing about? I'm in the middle of Romantic Suspense manuscript that I've daydreamed about sending to Harlequin. Their wordcount for that line is 70,000 words. My main questions are:
Do they care about chapter length?
And how early should the hero and heroine meet?

I think they seem flexible on heat level, but that has me wondering too....

Thanks for the insight!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the answers, but I think a good way to find them would be to grab a bunch of their recent romantic suspense titles and checking things like chapter length and when the MCs meet. If there's a definite pattern, that may indicate a preference for these sorts of things.

Some of this you could check without a trip to the library. The Look Inside feature on Amazon will often have a table of contents so you can see how many chapters there are in a book, and if the wordcount is around 70K that will give you an idea of average length. Reading the sample will tell you whether the MCs usually meet in the first chapter or two or not.

Tamby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Marlys,
Good advice. I bought a bunch of eBooks last night and I'm trying to note the patterns. Just wondering if there were any hard rules with these sorts of things.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
There are pretty clear guidelines here, and reading several recent books from the line of interest is also good to get a feel for it.

Evelyn_Alexie

Registered
Reaction score
For the Inspirational (Love Inspired) Harlequin lines at least, not everything is written down.
For example, in the Historicals the hero and heroine cannot spend the night under the same roof unless there's a chaperone as well, but it's acceptable in a contemporary so long as they sleep in separate rooms. The hero and heroine POVs both have to have pretty much equal time in each chapter. For the suspense line, hero and heroine have to meet by the end of the first chapter.

I think so long as you read some recent books in the line you're writing for, you can get a feel for what they are looking for. If they love the story, they'll edit out little things that are not acceptable or ask you to rewrite it.

Tamby

Registered
Reaction score
For the suspense line, hero and heroine have to meet by the end of the first chapter.

Could you please tell me more about this? How did you come to know this 'rule'? I believe you're correct....although I did just come across a first chapter with no meeting. Carrying His Secret by Marie Ferrarella.

Evelyn_Alexie

Registered
Reaction score