Today I talked a woman who had stopped vaccinating her toddler into getting the kid vaccinated.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or at least I think I did, she said she was convinced.

I'm not trying to start a thread on vaccines. We don't need a discussion. I would have put this in accomplishments but it's not writing related.

The sub-forum is about activism, what we can do/have done. I thought it might be appropriate to post my accomplishment. This is the second mother afraid of and misinformed about vaccinations I believe I had a real impact on.

:thankyou:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The only cure for misinformation is someone providing accurate information to refute it, and one connection to an anti-vaccer can create an inroad to others who have the same beliefs. Like most closed systems, information tends to travel within the circuit, so there's no telling how many people (children especially) you've impacted. :hooray:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You get a giant gold star!!!! WTG!!!!!:Sun: (I couldn't find a star so you get a sun, which technically is a star so it works.)

Victor Douglas

Things Will Change
Registered
Reaction score
Is it off topic to ask how you did it? I'm faced with a very similar situation, and I have no idea how to proceed. Taking the benefits of vaccinations as given, can we get a thread on the best way of convincing skeptics of this?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it off topic to ask how you did it? I'm faced with a very similar situation, and I have no idea how to proceed. Taking the benefits of vaccinations as given, can we get a thread on the best way of convincing skeptics of this?

I'm happy to talk about it, just didn't want to get into a big anti-vaxxer debate.

Went to buy some wine at the Wine and Spirits store and there was a young gal serving up tasting samples. No one was there except me so I asked her if she was bored and she proceeded to tell me she was frustrated because her daycare called, kid needed to be seen because she had a bad cough and the gal said she couldn't get home before the walk-in clinic closed.

As we chatted she said the daycare was worried about RSV (rightly so) and she said she was bummed there was no RSV vaccine. Then she started to talk about her belief there might be a Big Pharma conspiracy ...

So I spilled the knowledge inside me that always pours out in these situations. I explained why we didn't have an RSV vaccine yet and how it was a very high priority as RSV kills the very young and very old. The conversation shifted to flu vaccine and she mentioned that she hadn't given her daughter any vaccines since the child was one. I listened to her issues which were about autism and the number of vaccines kids get these days.

I know these topics very well. And I know the arguments against them even better.

As for multiple vaccines, kids are exposed to thousands of antigens naturally. She knew about antigens. A dozen vaccine antigens are a drop in that bucket.

And as for the autism there are so many arguments. She knew there was research that refuted the connection but wanted to know how I was sure.

In summary: I told her about Andrew Wakefield.
I told her that when we took Thimerosal out of kids vaccines the rate of autism went up not down.
I told her about the studies of kids' first birthday party videos that showed autism was diagnosable earlier than the blamed vaccines were given. Autism was diagnosed when kids reached the more social toddler age because that's when symptoms became obvious. But when we looked for earlier symptoms they were there.
And I told her about young healthy people I saw die from influenza and about the influenza-MRSA co-infection which, while still rare, was increasing.

I told her several times, she was working, I didn't mean to push the issue, but she kept asking. By the end of our conversation she said she would get her toddler vaccinated. I think she meant it, I think I convinced her.

You have to start with where the person is at, and sometimes there is no getting through that barrier. If you tell me where the person you are talking about is at, maybe I can help, but some people are not reachable.

Last edited:

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Mae, you are awesome.

Anti-vaxx people really push my buttons, but people who are willing to listen to lglobal research results and good argument are great. They just need info and assurance. Kudos to you.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
MaeZe, you did a good thing there. Just by continuing the conversation with her, and answering her questions, instead of saying "You should!" and walking away.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you, MaeZe. You may have saved that child's life.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i would have started off by telling her to NEVER listen to Autism Speaks....

i have autism....and i'm just fine with it (ok yeah, some days are really difficult to the point of breaking down and unable to stop crying)....but i'd rather have autism than those deadly painful body scarring diseases. and we almost had them eliminated from society.

Victor Douglas

Things Will Change
Registered
Reaction score
Mae does rock. I take my son to Boy Scouts and one of the parents there is convinced that vaccines are bad, and he mostly cited the movie "Vaxxed". I did the research, but the movie reviews by experts are a bit technical, and while I can understand what they are saying, the parent I know has only a high school education. So I need to simplify it.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. :Hug2::Sun: It terrifies me when kids who can be vaccinated don't get vaccinated. See this web page http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/pertussis-whooping-cough and this quote from it: "In 1975 unfounded concerns about the safety of the vaccine resulted in a fall in vaccination rates; only 3 out of every 10 children were vaccinated against pertussis in 1975. This resulted in major epidemics in 1977-79 and 1981-83."

I was born in 1975 and got whooping cough (pertussis) in 1982 along with all the other unvaccinated kids in my school and the entire neighbourhood (and over a much wider area, though I didn't know that until much later). To be fair on my parents, it wasn't their choice not to give me the vaccine they were advised by medical staff not to give it because I had allergies. Initially they were told not to vaccinate me at all, but my mum went and got me vaccinated anyway when I was 2. They (i.e. medical staff) still refused to give me the whooping cough (pertussis) vaccine.

Whooping cough is a horrible disease. It causes such severe coughing fits that babies and toddlers can die from asphyxiation as a result of the coughing fit. It also lasts for weeks and weeks and weeks. When you're just six years old it feels like you've been ill since forever. Anti vaxxers say stuff like "oh but you didn't die" or that these diseases aren't severe or make kids' immune systems stronger but it's easy for them to say that when they're not the ones that actually got the diseases. So yeah, I didn't die because I was six when I caught it. Or because I was lucky enough not to develop any severe complications. And whatever way you look at it it ruined my entire summer and I was young enough to be scared that this might happen every summer. Like maybe every summer all the kids will get sick and cough until they puke several times a day for the entire summer.

Good job it wasn't a 1975 scare about polio or diphtheria vaccines followed by the inevitable epidemics otherwise I might not be here at all to tell the tale.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Good for you, Maeze. I sometimes wonder if it's possible to convince anyone of anything in this world where so many are sure that information that doesn't confirm their views is simply "alternative facts" at best and "fake news" at worst. Your story confirms that it is possible. How did you go about convincing her?

I had a student (who is doing very well) tell me she loved and learned a lot in my class this semester and that she learned she can do science, which made me feel good.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good job, Maeze.

And those of you of a certain age, who got your vaccinations when you were a kid, should ask your doctor if a booster is a good idea. Around five years ago my aunt (about 70) got whooping cough while on a business trip to Seattle. They were having an outbreak due to unvaccinated kids. She gave it to her husband when she got home. When she went to the doctor and he told her they both had whooping cough she was stunned. They had both had their vaccinations when little. He told her that the effects can wear off with age. I asked my doctor on my next visit and promptly got a booster. Made my husband ask for one too.

I will admit that I don't know if my nieces and nephews have had their children immunized. I haven't asked because I don't want to start a big family argument if the answer is no. I think they are smart enough to have done it.

MM

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mae does rock. I take my son to Boy Scouts and one of the parents there is convinced that vaccines are bad, and he mostly cited the movie "Vaxxed". I did the research, but the movie reviews by experts are a bit technical, and while I can understand what they are saying, the parent I know has only a high school education. So I need to simplify it.

That movie was produced and stars the fraud, Wakefield. The WA Post article about it is pretty good. 7 things about vaccines and autism that the movie ‘Vaxxed’ won’t tell you

People that believe in the Big Pharma* conspiracy can be the hardest to reach. I do suggest, however, pointing out we can diagnose autism before the age the MMR is given.

Detecting, Studying, and Treating Autism Early: The One-Year Well-Baby Check-Up Approach

MMR is given at 15 months.

*Big Pharma does have issues, especially when they fund the research. A few companies have indeed done some very unethical things. But those of us who prescribe those drugs are not stupid. This is another topic that could produce pages and pages of discussion. If I didn't have so much to do before the end of the year ....