On a Scale of 1 to 10...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
How shitty is it that the company I'm doing a short-term work contract for hasn't invited me to their Christmas party? Especially given that it's being held during work hours (on Thursday over lunch) in the office. My contract ends on Friday. I'm planning to WFH on Thursday (or not work at all).

Kinda bummed to be left out.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I have to confess that being able to avoid those kind of works parties was one of the things that kept me contracting for twenty years...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I have to confess that being able to avoid those kind of works parties was one of the things that kept me contracting for twenty years...
Normally, this would be totally true!

The awkward thing about this case is that there about 15 employees at this company in a small space and the party is IN THE OFFICE at noon on a Thursday. If I hadn't heard anything about it through the grapevine, I could be sitting here working away while everyone else has a party around me. Thankfully, I know about it despite not having been invited. So I'm just not gonna go in.

Incidentally, the interns, who leave to go back to school next week, are invited. :cry:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On a scale of 1-10 it's a definite 40. I think you should go in and arrange a santa delivery just for you. At your desk. 40 santa deliveries.

Stupid people with their stupid parties. It's not you, it's them. :Hug2:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure it's a snub and not an oversight?

Do you think if you worked on site that day, people would realize you were working during the party and draw you in?

Maryn, not knowing the answer to either question

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure it's a snub and not an oversight?
No. I'm not sure at all. Definitely feels more like a snub than an oversight.

Do you think if you worked on site that day, people would realize you were working during the party and draw you in?
Probably, but further awkwardness would most certainly ensue. Firstly, it's a potluck and everyone's supposed to bring food. Secondly, there's a gift exchange where everyone brings a wrapped gift (damned if I know the dollar limit) and they play some kind of game with the gifts. Maybe the one where you can keep it or steal it. Not sure.

I mean, surely someone should have forwarded an email to me about this damned shindig. No?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
On a scale of 1-10 it's a definite 40. I think you should go in and arrange a santa delivery just for you. At your desk. 40 santa deliveries.

Thanks for the idea. And the hug. :)

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, surely someone should have forwarded an email to me about this damned shindig. No?

Not everyone's that formal, or that organised. Can you check with one of them (maybe whoever hired you as a contractor) if you're expected to be at the party and bring a gift? Usually if a party's taking place in a particular office, everyone in there's invited by default and they often don't bother with emails or formal invites because it's not like you have to notify people of a particular time or place. I may be wrong and they could all be a bunch of arseholes, but if they consider that everyone's invited by default and they're expecting you to bring food and a gift for the gift game, it would be mega awkward if you turn up without them. Their fault for not making it clear, but still awkward.

Even if emails went around, it's likely they were sent to a mailing list rather than to individuals and it's possible that everyone forgot that you're not on the mailing list because you're a contractor.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even if emails went around, it's likely they were sent to a mailing list rather than to individuals and it's possible that everyone forgot that you're not on the mailing list because you're a contractor.
This is a distinct possibility - it happened in our office, once.

If it turns out to be this, you can keep the :Hug2:, but maybe ditch the santa idea...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Not everyone's that formal, or that organised. Can you check with one of them (maybe whoever hired you as a contractor) if you're expected to be at the party and bring a gift? Usually if a party's taking place in a particular office, everyone in there's invited by default and they often don't bother with emails or formal invites because it's not like you have to notify people of a particular time or place. I may be wrong and they could all be a bunch of arseholes, but if they consider that everyone's invited by default and they're expecting you to bring food and a gift for the gift game, it would be mega awkward if you turn up without them. Their fault for not making it clear, but still awkward.

Indeed it's a small office with not much process. But because it's a small office, they must realize that the newest person hasn't been invited to the party, or been informed of the format and rules. It feels more like they know I won't be here for long so there's no point in getting to know me or making sure I'm included in anything.

I have a sense of whose responsibility this is, and I don't think she really likes me enough to give a rat's ass.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Santa idea is back in play. And here's another :Hug2:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you could Grinch it. Turn up on the day all normal and keep asking them to be quiet cos you're trying to work.

(Hope it is an oversight, otherwise it's just too nasty. And very un-Christmassy.)

- - - Updated - - -

:Hug2:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Santa delivery? Try Krampus... a stripping Krampus. With a thong.

Or playing "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch" at full blast as you work when the party's going on...

Yeah, it definitely sucks, but at least you won't be there much longer.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Or, just ask: Since you're on a contract/new, what is the normal office practice for Christmas, 'cos it's a week or so till the 25th.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
But because it's a small office, they must realize that the newest person hasn't been invited to the party, or been informed of the format and rules.

Not necessarily. In situations like this it's common for everyone to assume that someone else has taken care of things and not think much about it.

It feels more like they know I won't be here for long so there's no point in getting to know me or making sure I'm included in anything.

That may well be true but it doesn't mean they're deliberately excluding you from the party. The fact it's taking place in the office likely means they're assuming everyone in the office is automatically invited. I think it's still a good idea to check if you're expected to attend, bring food, a gift, etc. You can phrase it like "am I expected to..." or similar rather than "why aren't I invited?" because it'll come across more straight forward and formal, and if they have simply forgotten about you but didn't mean to, it gives them a chance to rectify it. It's not like they can say they don't want you there, seeing as you're working in the same office. If they really are expecting you to carry on working through their party, at least you'll know for sure in advance and can set up the Santa thing suggested above.

I have a sense of whose responsibility this is, and I don't think she really likes me enough to give a rat's ass.

If they really are being like that just be glad you're getting out of there soon. People like that aren't worth your mental energy and just wait for karma (if you believe in it) or the inner misery that drives them to be so spiteful to catch up with them.

I don't know the situation not being there, but I can see two distinct possibilities of what might be going on: 1. they really are being that nasty 2. it's all a big misunderstanding. In my experience, most conflicts within small groups of people come from misunderstandings and total failure to communicate. Granted that sometimes it's caused by one person who's a manipulative bully, but even in those situations, misunderstandings and failure to communicate make things worse.

If you've read the situation wrong, it will get extremely awkward. If you can clarify which it is with a simple question, you'll be able to do the right thing, i.e. join in with the party as expected OR set up the Santa thing. You'd avoid the whole thing of everything getting way more awkward due to a massive communication fail.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How shitty is it that the company I'm doing a short-term work contract for hasn't invited me to their Christmas party? Especially given that it's being held during work hours (on Thursday over lunch) in the office. My contract ends on Friday. I'm planning to WFH on Thursday (or not work at all).

Kinda bummed to be left out.
:Hug2:

I do contract work. Not that I'm there all the time, the work I do is providing a service they use intermittently. But I've worked with some people for more than 20 years. I've only once been invited to a retirement party, never been invited to a Christmas party or anything.

I so know exactly how you feel.

My bummed emotion goes into my book characters.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's such a great idea.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No. I'm not sure at all. Definitely feels more like a snub than an oversight....
For me I don't believe it's a snub. There's something about the mentality of the worksite that makes me not one of them, even though they all know me by name, they're always happy to see me, they always offer me the break room donuts if there are any. But I'm not one of them. I think it doesn't cross their minds. And for me, I don't have coworkers. I am a company of one. So I notice but I suspect they don't.

Since you are there continually, unlike me, I suggest to mention it to one person, someone you feel most friendly with. See how they react. They might just correct the mistake and see that you at least get invited to the potluck if not the gift exchange as well.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses! I think MaeZe hit it on the head: I am not one of them. I don't think any phrase could sum up the situation better.

I'm used to being one of them. I got laid off from my f/t permanent job in March and I'd been there for 7.5 years (which is a looong time in my industry).

I have the option, so I'll just work from home on party day, to avoid any awkwardness or unpleasantness that might arise from my being there, or even my asking someone about it this late in the game.

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have the option, so I'll just work from home on party day, to avoid any awkwardness or unpleasantness that might arise from my being there
Cool - That works! - And since your last day is Friday, you can say "Good Riddance" to them. :rant:

*Walks off muttering "What a bunch of inconsiderate, pea-brained jerks!" *

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's mean.

This is why I don't like interacting with people sometimes. They can be quite uncaring.