Hi! Newbie here...

JennyA

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new and have read so many threads and comments in the forum already. I was encouraged to join by another member, and it was suggested to specifically check out the Bewares area, as I've started querying for my manuscript.

A bit about myself... I like to read young adult novels, especially those written in present tense (eg: Divergent, Hunger Games).

I've written my own YA novel, and now I'm learning more about agents, literary agencies, and the whole query process.

I love science and enjoy finding ways to include it in my work. I'm glad to see more female protagonists, especially those who are intelligent and use science, technology, engineering, or math in their daily lives.

Questions:
1. I would like to know if there is a list of reputable literary agencies and agents. Searching each one at a time is a long and tedious process. It would help to narrow them down.

2. Is there a simple way to search up an agent or literary agency to see if they are on Santa's Naughty List? So far, I've been trying to search for each one individually under Writer Beware and a Google search, but it would be great if there was a way to make this process simpler. I'm new and learning, so please let me know if there's an easier way.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

You may check agents and publishers' reputation in Bewares, Recommendations and Backgrounds. There is also a comprehensive list of agents and publishers in that room. If you want a refined search you can try sites like AgentQuery and PublishersMarketplace and cross reference their reputation in Bewares.

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Ladan

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I just joined, too! I have been working on my new novel for over 4 years and started the querying process one or two years too early, and I wish I hadn't! So I encourage you to be sure that your manuscript is really final before approaching agents:)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck :)

JennyA

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I just joined, too! I have been working on my new novel for over 4 years and started the querying process one or two years too early, and I wish I hadn't! So I encourage you to be sure that your manuscript is really final before approaching agents:)

Hi Ladan. Thanks for the tip. I waited until my novel had been beta read numerous times, had an Ed. Letter done, and then lastly my manuscript was picked up by a local book club as their August novel. Through this whole process and all the feedback I received this past year, I worked on a number of revisions including a major overhaul (thanks to the pointers given from the Ed. Letter I received).

More recently, the book club was the ultimate test of whether or not I had succeeded. The response was an overwhelming confirmation that I had finally got my manuscript where it needs to be. I have since made a few more changes (based on their feedback) and now I'm extremely happy with it. However, as you mentioned, if I had started querying back in February when I first "finished", my work would be no where near as good as it is now and I would have regretted approaching agents so early.

There is so much to learn, isn't there? It's nice to be able to chat with fellow authors, though. For so long I've felt all on my own. Glad to have joined this group :)

All the best to you, Ladan!

Last edited: