Titles through the ages (19th century)

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
I'm working on a script set in the mid 19th century (1860s). The character works on behalf of a shadowy government organization - think the Men in Black or Torchwood, or real-world CIA - for an unstated nation. If the story were set a couple hundred years earlier I would call her a knight, albeit an unusual one, and if it were set 75 years later I would call her an agent or an operative. Can anybody suggest an appropriate term?

I am in a time crunch to complete and submit the first draft of this for a grade by Wednesday evening, but if somebody comes across this after that I'd still welcome suggestions for revisions.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
I think you could go with agent. It's been used as "agent of the law" at least since 1804 (according to OED), so using it to mean "agent of a shadowy organisation" is probably fair game.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Intelligencer
Judiciar
Free lance

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I think you could go with agent. It's been used as "agent of the law" at least since 1804 (according to OED), so using it to mean "agent of a shadowy organisation" is probably fair game.

The Pinkertons were right at your era and used agent, so there you go. They were shadowy, downright shady in fact - Gilded Age robber barons hired them as private armies.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
Thank you all for your responses. The "agent" information seems to contradict etymonline if I read right, but you gave me enough information to use it to satisfy my doubts.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
CWatts makes a good point bringing up the Pinkertons. The Pinkerton Detective Agency was basically the first nation-wide private security firm. They did everything from tracking down outlaws to breaking up strikes to serving as personal bodyguards and rent-a-cop security officers in banks, racetracks, and early department stores. A lot of them worked undercover, but there were also on-the-clock uniformed Pinkertons known as the protective patrols. The men of these units were called watchmen. Even though the Pinkertons weren't a secret organization (anyone could hire them) they might be a good model for your secret agency. You could also mix it with some of the arcane traditions and rituals of social clubs of the time like the Oddfellows.

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
You may also want to read up on Vidocq. He was a criminal who reformed to basically invent the police force as we know it in early 19th century Paris. His agents did a lot of undercover work and many were former criminals themselves (something we still see with hackers hired for internet security, for example).

As for your secret organization, I second Snafu's suggestions to read up on the Odd Fellows and other lodges. There's also the fictional Diogenses Club from the Holmes canon that has been portrayed as a spy organization (I recommend Kim Newman's Anno Dracula - which is set during the Ripper murders but with vampires).

Last edited: