• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How do other writers know the best authors to quote?

kweeb

Registered
Reaction score
This may seem like a silly question, but the answer escapes me.

The more I get into writing, the more I find myself around other writers.
And every time I am around other writers they talk about the same authors and quotes like it is common knowledge.
How do they all know about these same authors and quotes?

I read A LOT. At least 100 books per year. But they are books I find on my own. It seems like writers often quote and discuss the same authors.
I see it in movies and tv shows as well - writers quoting and jawing about the same authors and quotes.
Yet I am often ignorant of these authors and quotes.

I would love to get in the loop, just not sure how. It's like other writers all received a list of authors that every writer should read and quote - where is this list?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This is rather perplexing. Are you reading the books that you hear everyone talking about? If you listen to everyone talking about certain books, read them. I usually read my own choices PLUS all the titles I hear repeatedly mentioned about. And I make certain I'm always ALSO reading popular classics...

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to get in the loop, just not sure how.

They quote, you read that book. Done.

It may be that X group came out of a similar educational background or program, and thus has a set of common touchstones that you don't, for simple and random reasons of fate. It's nothing to get riled up about. Like I pointed out, there's an easy fix.

That said, I don't think I've ever heard someone quote another author without sounding like a douche. It's much easier to pull off successfully in print than in real life. (Or maybe I just run in the wrong circles, ha.)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why conform when you can dictate your own knowledge and understanding?

Just a thought.

kweeb

Registered
Reaction score
This post comes across as kind of snobbish.

Don't know if that was your intention or not, OP, but thought you should be aware of it.

Definitely not my intention, and honestly I don't know how I come off as snobbish when I am saying I am the one who is ignorant.

Maybe you misunderstood my post, but I am saying I am new to this and I seem to lack knowledge about authors that other writers have - not sure how this can be construed as snobbish...?

kweeb

Registered
Reaction score
Why conform when you can dictate your own knowledge and understanding?

Just a thought.

Yes, and this is how I've always operated. I just hear the same authors and works come up multiple times in different circles and was unaware if I was missing something.
I was unable to attend formal education past 16 due to family issues so I had to self educate through libraries. Maybe its just a formal education in literature that I am missing.

kweeb

Registered
Reaction score
They quote, you read that book. Done.

It may be that X group came out of a similar educational background or program, and thus has a set of common touchstones that you don't, for simple and random reasons of fate. It's nothing to get riled up about. Like I pointed out, there's an easy fix.

That said, I don't think I've ever heard someone quote another author without sounding like a douche. It's much easier to pull off successfully in print than in real life. (Or maybe I just run in the wrong circles, ha.)

HAHA - yes, I am creating a list of new books to ready which gets longer by the day. And you're right about sounding like a douche haha. I think most of the time, I hear it in the form of a discussion or example to a question asked rather than just firing off quotes like some literary snob.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and this is how I've always operated. I just hear the same authors and works come up multiple times in different circles and was unaware if I was missing something.
I was unable to attend formal education past 16 due to family issues so I had to self educate through libraries. Maybe its just a formal education in literature that I am missing.

Nothing wrong with that kweeb! Think of all the greats who did wondrous things without formal education. While I believe it does not hinder, for some it's not necessary. If you're reading 100 books/year (I think I'm at 200+, and it's been a slow year) I think you're up to date. Do not worry.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to get in the loop, just not sure how. It's like other writers all received a list of authors that every writer should read and quote - where is this list?

If all the writers in the circles you frequent are talking about other writers they have in common -- there's your list. Get those books and read up.

If you feel a gap in your general reading background, there are plenty of lists out there of classic works & important authors that All People Should Read (aka "the Canon") -- get a few of these lists and read stuff that's on them. None of the lists are complete and they all come from different ideological bases, so combining them may help broaden your coverage of the Stuff Everybody Should Know.

If your gap is in a specific genre, there are genre-specific lists of important classics and major recent works you can mine.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I guess I got this vibe that you find books yourself, whereas other authors are all reading off prescribed lists type thing. That they're also not striking out on their own, to find books.

I haven't encountered what you describe. There are so many books and even within genres the variation is huge. I beta swapped with another proclaimed fan of fantasy once. We didn't have a book in common between us, because even within our genre the range of titles is vast.

kweeb

Registered
Reaction score
This is rather perplexing. Are you reading the books that you hear everyone talking about? If you listen to everyone talking about certain books, read them. I usually read my own choices PLUS all the titles I hear repeatedly mentioned about. And I make certain I'm always ALSO reading popular classics...

OK, this is good advice. I am not originally from USA and have had a few family hardships that ended my formal education at 16. I am making a list of books I keep hearing about. And embarrassingly enough I was not familiar with what the popular classics are. I am looking at some lists online right now. It is true that many of the authors I hear repeatedly mentioned are on these lists of 'popular classics'. I just never knew to look for that. It may seem funny but I might have well been living under a rock since my teenage years, and I have had no formal education or guidance in American literature. But I am not a lost cause. I am still young, and I love the written word - reading and writing it. Listing authors that are mentioned more than once and researching the 'popular classics' gives me a good starting point. Thank you.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Another source if you are really into a specific area is graduate school reading lists. Schools put these on the web as advised reading for their students. It's usually far more detailed than the average reader will need (unless they're a superfan of that literature/culture/etc.) but interesting to browse for ideas. They will usually encapsulate the given canon for any field of literature.

kweeb

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I got this vibe that you find books yourself, whereas other authors are all reading off prescribed lists type thing. That they're also not striking out on their own, to find books.

I haven't encountered what you describe. There are so many books and even within genres the variation is huge. I beta swapped with another proclaimed fan of fantasy once. We didn't have a book in common between us, because even within our genre the range of titles is vast.

Oh no, not at all! I just meant that I had no guidance and sometimes felt out of the loop. I am sorry for the confusion.
I am not originally from the USA and my reading and education has been somewhat rogue to say the least.

I can see what you mean and I think you are right. It may just be because I am taking specific classes and joining specific groups that are educated in a specific way.
It seems as I do more research that I am just not educated in American literature so I am unsure when someone makes a joke about Faulkner or compares something to Fitzgerald.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't imagine writers search out books any differently than other voracious readers. I seek out recs on bestseller lists, on sites such as GoodReads & LibraryThing. I check various recommended book lists that I've found along the way such as those listed on The American Library Association's page "Recommended Reading". I also follow the long & short lists of various book award sites like The Booker Prize. There are many places you could try for the most recommended books.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I am hugely curious what some of the titles are. What are some of the books?

Also curious if Lolita is on the list since that has been my go to suggestion recently for a few various writing discussions. (and I've been trying to salvage my villain lately.)

But to answer your question, in the States there is guided curriculum for literature in grades (well, all of them) ~9 - 12. Most students attending public school in the states right now will read, for example, To Kill a Mockingbird and 1984. Here's a list of some of those titles:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/478.Required_Reading_in_High_School

Teachers pick books to teach, from approved lists (they help build the list but school boards also have some say over it) and the list can vary by state or school district --- but is similar in broad terms across the country.

My education was a long time ago, and it was Catholic school, so I didn't have the same exposure (private schools have different guidelines.) When my peers talk about the themes in Lord of the Flies,, for example, I sit and wonder why the nuns didn't ask us to read it. because it seems like everyone else has. Maybe that is a related experience to what you are describing.

Anyway, check out the list and see if it has some of the titles you are hearing about. I may be on the completely wrong track here.

(Oh, and young folks seem to all gravitate towards certain authors, you know, partly because they're good but there is an element of group behavior at play too - - like Twilight, Percy Jackson, Lately anything Sanderson. A lot of Manga is making the rounds the last few years here.)

Last edited:

kweeb

Registered
Reaction score
Another source if you are really into a specific area is graduate school reading lists. Schools put these on the web as advised reading for their students. It's usually far more detailed than the average reader will need (unless they're a superfan of that literature/culture/etc.) but interesting to browse for ideas. They will usually encapsulate the given canon for any field of literature.

Great idea!

kweeb

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't imagine writers search out books any differently than other voracious readers. I seek out recs on bestseller lists, on sites such as GoodReads & LibraryThing. I check various recommended book lists that I've found along the way such as those listed on The American Library Association's page "Recommended Reading". I also follow the long & short lists of various book award sites like The Booker Prize. There are many places you could try for the most recommended books.

I think sometimes when we know something we can be unaware of how little someone else knows about it - I was not aware of any of these resources so thank you!

kweeb

Registered
Reaction score
If all the writers in the circles you frequent are talking about other writers they have in common -- there's your list. Get those books and read up.

If you feel a gap in your general reading background, there are plenty of lists out there of classic works & important authors that All People Should Read (aka "the Canon") -- get a few of these lists and read stuff that's on them. None of the lists are complete and they all come from different ideological bases, so combining them may help broaden your coverage of the Stuff Everybody Should Know.

If your gap is in a specific genre, there are genre-specific lists of important classics and major recent works you can mine.

Yes! Researching "literary canon" is bring up some very good resources. Thank you!

kweeb

Registered
Reaction score
I am hugely curious what some of the titles are. What are some of the books?

Also curious if Lolita is on the list since that has been my go to suggestion recently for a few various writing discussions. (and I've been trying to salvage my villain lately.)

But to answer your question, in the States there is guided curriculum for literature in grades (well, all of them) ~9 - 12. Most students attending public school in the states right now will read, for example, To Kill a Mockingbird and 1984. Here's a list of some of those titles:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/478.Required_Reading_in_High_School

Teachers pick books to teach, from approved lists (they help build the list but school boards also have some say over it) and the list can vary by state or school district --- but is similar in broad terms across the country.

Hit the nail on the head! This list for Required Reading in High School is exactly the authors I keep hearing about. Austen, Orwell, Steinbeck, Vonnegut, Wilde, etc. I have only read a few of these. Looks like I am missing my highscool and college reads. Well always time to catch up ;)

My education was a long time ago, and it was Catholic school, so I didn't have the same exposure (private schools have different guidelines.) When my peers talk about the themes in Lord of the Flies,, for example, I sit and wonder why the nuns didn't ask us to read it. because it seems like everyone else has. Maybe that is a related experience to what you are describing.
Yes, this is exactly what it is like.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
OK, this is good advice. I am not originally from USA and have had a few family hardships that ended my formal education at 16. I am making a list of books I keep hearing about. And embarrassingly enough I was not familiar with what the popular classics are. I am looking at some lists online right now. It is true that many of the authors I hear repeatedly mentioned are on these lists of 'popular classics'. I just never knew to look for that. It may seem funny but I might have well been living under a rock since my teenage years, and I have had no formal education or guidance in American literature. But I am not a lost cause. I am still young, and I love the written word - reading and writing it. Listing authors that are mentioned more than once and researching the 'popular classics' gives me a good starting point. Thank you.

That's awesome. And for what it's worth...you are not alone. I was on the streets in my teens. I never completed high school...those years were spent attempting survival. We all arrive via different paths. I love reading everything. Whenever I hear a book mentioned that's a classic that I have not yet read...I log it and get to it eventually. I've been up and down the classics lists now...but there's still the odd one. I love filling in the blanks.

Good luck and happy reading!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Hit the nail on the head! This list for Required Reading in High School is exactly the authors I keep hearing about. Austen, Orwell, Steinbeck, Vonnegut, Wilde, etc. I have only read a few of these. Looks like I am missing my highscool and college reads. Well always time to catch up ;)

Yes, this is exactly what it is like.

It's not just people who leave school early who face the reading gap, a kid who changes schools frequently could well miss a book couple of books a year, and unlike yourself, never bother to catch up. Be strong and persevere!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Back to the question in the OP, it seems to me a bit bassackwards. Writers don't generally hunt around for quotations from other famous writers; if they want to quote something it's because they already know of a quote that fits the work they are writing, and they know that because they have read a lot of great writers who tend to express important, pertinent things in striking, vivid ways. Shakespeare gets quoted more often than does, say, James Patterson, for a reason.

caw