Don't Quit Your Day Job

Jurné Ends

Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, who here write for a living or gave up their job to write? If so, do you make a good living or are you a starving artist? I hope this is not too personal questions, I'm just really curious.

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
I love my day job because it doesn't stress me out, and affords me plenty of time to keep writing, without the financial pressure. I can indulge in pretty covers for my books without panicking about ROI.

Once I decided that was the route I wanted to take... it took a couple of years and some awful jobs until I found something that clicked for me, though. There are lots of paths, none of them are easy.

I'm happy in "no pressure" land. I haven't quit dreaming of success or trying my best, but it's so much easier not to stake my life on it.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I write full-time. I kind of got thrown into it when my husband was transferred overseas with the military, and there were no civilian jobs available, so I basically went from zero to full-time overnight. The agreement was if I could make a part-time income out of it before we came back to the States (3 years), I didn't have to get a full-time job. Considering I'd just done 9 years of customer service, that was, shall we say, motivation. As was trying to pay a mortgage and bills on E-5 military pay, which was miserable for that first year and a half.

That was the end of 2008. My first book came out just under a year later, and I've been writing roughly one book per month since. I made a full-time income (comparable to what I'd made at my last job) in...I think it was 2011. Since 2012, it's definitely been more than I'm qualified to make in a regular job. The market does fluctuate, of course, and some periods have been leaner than others, but overall it's been solid.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
That question has so many "it depends" attached to it that it's hard to answer. Whether or not you can make it work depends on the cost of living in your area, whether or not you have a spouse to help out with everything (including health insurance), what your spending habits are, etc. etc. etc. And then there's the question of whether you already have books published (and by whom--trade published or self published?) and whether you're already earning royalties on those (or have advance money in the bank.) There are some good threads on this topic elsewhere in the forum.

Jurné Ends

Registered
Reaction score
That question has so many "it depends" attached to it that it's hard to answer. Whether or not you can make it work depends on the cost of living in your area, whether or not you have a spouse to help out with everything (including health insurance), what your spending habits are, etc. etc. etc. And then there's the question of whether you already have books published (and by whom--trade published or self published?) and whether you're already earning royalties on those (or have advance money in the bank.) There are some good threads on this topic elsewhere in the forum.

Oh no I was just wondering people personal experiences -if anyone here in particular have given up their career for writing and if they particular found it worth it. I don't particularly fancy the idea for myself because I do enjoy my career more or less on most days -it has a lot of great perks such as excellent health care, generous leave time, and give me access into the psyche of diverse people. Not to mention I make in the low six figures so have very little financial issues and have a flexible schedule more or less. I'm not burden with children and my partner is pretty easy going like me so I have the luxury of time to write essentially when I want. I just wondered because I do read a lot of blogs and such where people often discussed the importance of giving up their day job for their craft and wondered who here made such a leap.

Jurné Ends

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to derail my own post for a moment but @ thethinker42 I see your title Blood from a Stoner and have to ask: are you finding obstacles with publishing or selling with a main character who is a stoner? A couple of my leads are stoners as well but I wasn't sure how well perceived my story would be because of it. Perhaps I should make another thread to avoid derailing this one lol.

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I'm about to derail my own post for a moment but @ thethinker42 I see your title Blood from a Stoner and have to ask: are you finding obstacles with publishing or selling with a main character who is a stoner? A couple of my leads are stoners as well but I wasn't sure how well perceived my story would be because of it. Perhaps I should make another thread to avoid derailing this one lol.

Not really, no. Blood From a Stoner is self-published, but I have 4 or 5 books with publishers where the characters smoke weed, and it's never caused any issues with sales. In fact, my highest earner ever has some pot smoking scenes in it.

I do write in a somewhat niche genre -- queer romance -- so your mileage may vary in others, but I can't imagine how weed would be a deal-breaker as long as it works for the story.

Jurné Ends

Registered
Reaction score
cool beans. I'm not sure where my story will land when it finally does get finished ...it's a m/f but not really traditional. It does give me hope though when I see other romances featuring stoners ...even if it's m/m

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
cool beans. I'm not sure where my story will land when it finally does get finished ...it's a m/f but not really traditional. It does give me hope though when I see other romances featuring stoners ...even if it's m/m

I'd say 20 years ago it might have been a deal-breaker, but these days? Nah.