Common phrases that bug me. I don't know where to ask.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
So every once in a while, the 'correct' description in my narrative is something like "his brow furrowed' ... and I hate that particular turn of a phrase. There are others I hate that have similar frequent play in books that I read.

Is it just me that dislikes this phrase? I can get past it, if it is just me, because the efficiency of "his brow furrowed' is tough to beat. I've spent a long time playing with it and may be wasting my time since furrowed brows seem to exist in many books.

Does this phrase ever bother you? Are there other common phrases that are personal pet peeves? Do you have tricks to get past them?

Patty brainstorming...

He wrinkled the space between his eyes.
He was concerned
He thought hard
It was clear to everyone that he was deep in thought
The wrinkles on his forehead became more obvious. (LOLOL)

... his brow furrowed.
Sigh.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
It feels cliche to me but I see it a lot.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So every once in a while, the 'correct' description in my narrative is something like "his brow furrowed' ... and I hate that particular turn of a phrase. There are others I hate that have similar frequent play in books that I read.

Is it just me that dislikes this phrase? I can get past it, if it is just me, because the efficiency of "his brow furrowed' is tough to beat. I've spent a long time playing with it and may be wasting my time since furrowed brows seem to exist in many books.

It's hard to tell without context, but I'm with DanielSTJ. It might be bothering you because it's unnecessary. See what happens if you take it out - his next words or actions might have the brow-furrowing thing implicit, so hey! Extra space for new words!

Patty brainstorming...

He wrinkled the space between his eyes.
He was concerned
He thought hard
It was clear to everyone that he was deep in thought
The wrinkles on his forehead became more obvious. (LOLOL)

... his brow furrowed.
Sigh.

Lol

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I can't say it bothers me. It is the common term for that muscle movement. You could find other ways to say shook his head, or smiled, or shook hands, or opened the window. But much of the time the common method is most appropriate. In my experience brows do furrow quite often so it is not some weird tick like nostrils flaring or veins bulging which seem to happen much more in books than real life.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I think it bugs some and not others. :) It's good to hear that it doesn't bother everybody!

I counted and have five occurrences of 'furrowed brow' in my draft (98K words.) I'm sure I took a few out along the way, and it occurred to me that shaking one's head is sometimes an action that means "I'm thinking" (and disagreeing.) So I might replace one or two more. I found 'creased forehead' in a Sanderson book and I think it's supposed to mean the same thing.

I looked up synonyms for 'furrow' and found

rut
gully
groove

And synonyms for brow:

Forehead
Temple
Frons

So maybe I'll throw in some instances of: "his frons rutted." LOLOLO

Flaring nostrils - - - YES! That is AWFUL!

I have one bulging vein in the story, and some flushed cheeks. A few narrowed eyes, but it's easy to go overboard on narrowed eyes too.

Last edited:

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't bother me because sometimes there's no other way to express the character's feelings and showing a furrowed brow sometimes is the simplest most concise way of doing it. He furrowed his brows; he furrowed a brow. 4 words. Done.

I hate flaring nostrils and bulging veins, too. I narrow eyes a lot. Sometimes I have to be careful not to over do that. I arch eyebrows, click tongues, shake heads, roll eyes and clench teeth a lot, too.

What I REALLY hate is when people use 'orbs' as a synonym for 'eyes'. Her blue orbs glowed in the light. His hazel orbs welled with tears. I just HATE that.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh. Those are good. I think I have an eye roll or two. No clicked tongues because that one always confuses me.

I like an arched eyebrow or two, I LOVE head shakes.

What about snarling?

I have 'she snarled' in an appropriate context in the section i am working on now, but it does make me go, ... really? She snarled?

...Not as bad as smirking, everyone seems to smirk, and I hate smirking.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This is one of those things that can be overdone, but to me it's a bit like smiled--a stock-in-trade expression that most will recognize. I sometimes think writers get too caught up in trying to come up with a completely unique way of describing something we've all seen. Brows furrow. There's a reason the phrase shows up in so many trade-published novels and gets okayed by in-house editors.

But anything, even smiling, can get repetitive and intrusive if it's used over and over in the same book.

Having said this, I think a lot depends on who is noticing the furrowed brow, the effect it has on them, and on the way they would express that (their voice or tone). An omniscient narrator in a work of literary fiction would certainly use a different turn of phrase than a first or limited third narrator in a fantasy novel (or a work of historical fiction, or a contemporary YA, or a SF novel, or a thriller, or...)

Someone who observes: Tom got that expression again--the strained wrinkles between his brows that made him look like he hadn't shat for several days may have a different personality than someone who says: My father's brows drew together in what might have been polite puzzlement, except Dad was never polite or puzzled. I was in for it[/]

And both of these are very different from a narrator who writes: The skin between Tom's brows descended in an alluvial cascade, as if aeons of water had carved deep canyons there.

Another thing to consider is how significant the expression is. Is it noticed in passing, or is it something the viewpoint character is focusing on and likely to describe in a more thoughtful, detailed way?

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
What emotion does 'his brow furrowed' actually describe?

You know. The same emotion as 'his frons rutted.'

In my embryonic efforts at writing a hero's journey, the furrowed brow is a quick means to show the two people talking are also listening, without interrupting the bing-bang-boom of the dialog.

But I should reconsider whether one or two instances should be converted into something more considered, which may well be what you intend with the Q.

Roxxsmom, I am in AWE.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
You know. The same as the rutted frons.

Roxxsmom, I am in AWE.

So you're not sure either.

Have a think about what it is you're trying to convey in that character. It might be more complex than it first appears. Then alternatives -- rather than superficial and the cliched first thoughts -- might pop up.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I used to say "he rumpled his brow", but I'm not sure the intrusiveness of switching to an unusual word is worth it just to avoid a pretty invisible phrase like "he furrowed his brow".

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it came to it - if it showed something that couldn't be implied any other way - I think I would just say He frowned.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since you ask about other similar irritations, I am always pulled up by referring to beverages as “the brown liquid” or “the hot liquid” or “the clear liquid” or whatever. As in, “She poured herself a cup of coffee, and sipped the black, hot, liquid.” I suppose some writers do this because they don’t want to say the word “coffee” too many times, or because of a general desire to be wordier and more descriptive. But it drives me bonkers. Trust your readers know that coffee is hot and brown.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As for furrowed brows — I’m clearing stuff like this out of my manuscript too. In my case it tends to be beats to light cigarettes, drag on them, or sip martinis (not “clear liquid”). What I am finding is one of two things:

* I can replace them with a more meaningful beat, such as a relevant thought, or some kind of interaction with the outside world that helps set the scene. That lets me save the lighting of cigarettes and downing of drinks for where they can actually perform a function. I mean, they are marginally useful for reminding the reader that the story is not set in the present, but even then, they still must be used judiciously. For example, when a pregnant character sorts down her bourbon to light a cigarette - perhaps that has some impact.

* I can eliminate them entirely. I’m finding that I need fewer beats in dialogue than I thought. I recommend picking up some of your favorite scenes from your favorite books and examining how the authors handle dialogue. How often to they use dialog tags? How often do they use action beats to indicate who is speaking or to break up a block of dialogue? And when they do use beats, what do the beats consist of? What are their characters doing besides furrowing their brows and lighting cigarettes?

I just did this yesterday, with one particular scene in the book that started me off on this whole attempt at writing one of my own, and I found that the POV character has few action beats - her beats are almost always thoughts. Not exclusively - there’s one interesting beat where she rubs her finger against the serrated blade of her dinner knife. The man she’s talking to “wriggles in his seat” and leans forward, and later “squirms” again - he’s both uncomfortable and aggressive in the conversation. He lights a cigarette “distastefully, throwing the match on the floor.” You learn a lot about his attitude from his beats. But over all, most of the scene is just the conversation. It’s nearly all dialogue. The scene carries so much about the two characters’ attitudes, but with an economy of stuff apart from their words to get in the way.

And there is also this: “Richard frowned and drew on his cigarette.” So perhaps both of us are safe.

Last edited:

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Your brows furrow? My guys swivel. They spin, they whirl, they rotate. One of my wonderful betas picked up on it, thankfully, so I now triple-check that I haven't turned a story into a merry-go-round.

I should probably write a story *about* a merry-go-round, just because.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes go to describing the feeling. To wit:

Tom was perplexed.

Tom appeared consternated.

He was incredulous.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I sometimes go to describing the feeling. To wit:

Tom was perplexed.

Tom appeared consternated.

He was incredulous.

But isn't that circling back to telling instead of showing, the very thing that describing facial expressions is meant to avoid? Also, one can't really know what Tom's internal state is without some sort of description of how he appears to the viewpoint character. Or if you're in Tom's viewpoint, he couldn't see his own brow furrowing anyway. Unless you're writing in omniscient. This is what makes these threads confusing sometimes. The way a writer handles these things will vary depending on narrative viewpoint, and of course on voice and style.

I think there are ways to show perplexity from outside of a character without always defaulting to furrowed brows, though. It's also possible to describe an internal state in a viewpoint character (or via an omniscient narrator peeking into someone's psyche).

What emotion does 'his brow furrowed' actually describe?

To me, a furrowed brow (in the absence of any other context) evokes confusion or puzzlement. I assume that's what the writer is getting at. It could also, of course, mean they have a headache, or are concentrating intensely, or the sun is shining in their eyes, or they need more fiber in their diet, or it could just be a cute mannerism they have.

This is where context and the inclusion of other tells become important. Frowns don't always mean anger either, nor do smiles always mean someone is happy.

This is, imo, where we run into issues with picking gestures or expressions or sensations from the Emotion Thesaurus and with blindly including expressions or gestures as beats. If the writer fails to establish context or to include internals (like the observer's emotional or intellectual response to the expression) or other details, then it can become a meaninglessly repetitive quirk in one's writing.

Also, it's amazing how often writers forget that a person can't see their own facial expressions and are often completely unaware of them. Case in point, my graduate advisor had a brow that often furrowed during conversations about our research (it became a bit of a joke in the lab--Oh, no, Tod's brow is furrowing again. We're in trouble!) He confessed he was completely unaware that he was doing this.

I can't read about furrowed brows without thinking of this, even years later.

Last edited:

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
For me it's the word "Fluid" where "Liquid" would work better.
I dunno why but I think of liquid as consumable (River water, coffee, soda, tears.) and fluid as non-consumable (Gas, battery acid, antifreeze.). So if someone were to drink coffee but call the coffee fluid, it just takes me right out of the story.

OhForFrithsSake

Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on your narration style, too. I write third person limited almost exclusively, so everything is flavored by my character's thoughts, and I don't think any of them would ever use the word "brow" when referring to a forehead. They're more likely to notice a frown or a glower or narrowed eyes or maybe a wrinkle between someone's eyebrows.

(To be fair, they would definitely notice a rutted frons! :ROFL:)

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
But isn't that circling back to telling instead of showing, the very thing that describing facial expressions is meant to avoid? Also, one can't really know what Tom's internal state is without some sort of description of how he appears to the viewpoint character. Or if you're in Tom's viewpoint, he couldn't see his own brow furrowing anyway. Unless you're writing in omniscient. This is what makes these threads confusing sometimes. The way a writer handles these things will vary depending on narrative viewpoint, and of course on voice and style.

, .

Yes, it can be 'telling'. But then what is worse, 'telling' or repetition? Or just plain old boring for using clichés. And then what POV you are using. It's a dilemma.

Last edited:

writergirl1994

Registered
Reaction score
Since when was 'he wrinkled the space between his eyes' an overused phrase? I've never heard anybody use that line, it sounds so awkward! ;) However, somebody's 'brow furrowing' is a clichéd turn of phrase that could use to be used a little less, definitely.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I've never used 'furrowed brow' in my writing. I'd say frowned.