I hit my lip on a steering wheel in an accident going 35mph. I did not black out, no vomiting, thought I was fine.

Three days later, I suddenly had no use of numbers (I went to work, tried to ring a credit card and was like, "WTF, someone needs to drive me home"), and I knew what I wanted to say, but I'd say the wrong word starting with another letter. I was like that for six weeks. I couldn't be around lights, I physically couldn't keep my eyes focused on reading, and I slept CONSTANTLY. No driving.

I saw doctors and they basically told me to sit at home and do nothing. The only thing they could do for me was document that I saw them with complaints for insurance claims. I feel like a lot of people didn't take me seriously because I DIDN'T black out.

I had random crying spells for the following couple of months and felt emotionally flat for a long time. Weird hormonal changes I think were linked in part to spinal misalignment. Chiropractic ended up being the best thing ever, but I had to find that years later on my own.

Anyway, concussions are strange things. The effects don't have to manifest immediately. I was "basically normal" after about six weeks, like able to count pocket change, read, and say what I meant again. But depending on the nature of the accident, there can also be all sorts of long term weirdness to contend with, too. To this day, when I write, I often type a wrong but phonetically similar word, which I never used to do before.