AW Amazon Affiliate Store

MiblArt offers book cover design services for self-published authors and publishing companies.

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Questions about concussions

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by cornflake
    Your larger problem is knocking someone out for AN HOUR OR TWO. That's likely a serious head injury. Someone was unconscious for an hour after a closed head injury I'd assume they're going to end up in ICU if they're lucky. If they're dazed for a couple of hours, that's not a concussion you're walking away from feeling fine either. You're going to be a good mess for a good while

This.

I never gave much thought to people getting knocked out in books or movies/tv shows until I had a concussion. Now, all I can think is, "OMG. That person needs a CT scan ASAP!" and I'm very skeptical that someone could be "out" for an hour or two and then just bounce back to normal. And I never really noticed before how often it happens. It ruined action movies for me.

For me, I had a light injury. I was playing in the floor with my dog, and she head butted me. The top of her head got me on the edge of one of my brow bones. I fell over, blacked out for a second, and the spot on my brow bone swelled up to just a little smaller than a ping pong ball. My husband rushed me to the ER. I was dizzy and had trouble walking a straight line and needed help.

The biggest problem was that I could not think. Like, how to open the door, how to get my seat belt on, where to go when we got to the ER. I was conscious and standing (mostly), but I was totally helpless. I couldn't have a conversation. The funny thing was, the doctor had me in the examining room and asked me what happened. I just looked at my husband, and he explained. Well, this set off warnings for the doctor, and he asked my husband to help the nurse with paperwork out at the desk. Then he asked me again. I could tell he wanted something from me, and I tried. I did. But it came out like, "Dog. And the... carpet. There was... I knee... I... with car and tea, so hand." And then he brought my husband back in and asked him to explain it again. Lol. I can remember most of what happened, but at the time, I couldn't make sense of it.

I had a CT scan to check for brain bleeds but didn't have any. They didn't make me stay awake for any specific amount of time or anything, but I had to have another scan two days later because bleeds can show up afterward. After a couple of hours I was doing better, making more sense and was more aware of my environment. I wasn't supposed to use my brain for a full week. I still have bouts of dizziness I think are related.

ETA: And I did not vomit. I did vomit and pass out briefly when I broke my ankle, though.
    Last edited by heza; 12-07-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    WIPs

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
    Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
    Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
    Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)