AW Amazon Affiliate Store

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Driving the neighbours nuts!

Threaded View

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
    Downsizing cars, especially to something considered a "budget" brand. Over here, trading the Benz for a used Cadillac or even shudder a Mercury.
    Related: selling off luxury toys such as 4-wheelers (you call them quads, I think), boats, golf clubs, etc.

Also, there is a culture of wealth that outsiders don't always catch on to. I ask myself what a $1000 pair of sunglasses will do for me that a $30 pair won't. Someone familiar with wealth culture wouldn't have to ask, and will immediately recognize my $30 pair as being a $30 pair. There's also some stereotypical values regarding social interactions, hospitality and other norms that are instantly recognized as middle or lower class. An imitator would have difficulty knowing what they are doing wrong. Maybe that could give you some leads.

ETA: Ah ha! I found a a table I was looking for on this blog. Scroll about halfway down to the Hidden Rules table. I don't knkw how well the research has held up, but the generalities seem accurate.
    Last edited by Chris P; 12-08-2017 at 01:46 AM.
    Join any time! The 2018 Reading Challenge is going on all year. Make this your best reading year ever!