AW Amazon Affiliate Store

MiblArt offers book cover design services for self-published authors and publishing companies.

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Al Franken Is Toast

Threaded View

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxxsmom View Post
    Possibly, though there are enough allegations coming out, including the pictures, that it's hard to believe all are fake or concocted.
    I don't want to get into this argument, someone here, people I like, will get mad at me. But I will go this far:

The numbers are meaningless when 6 of the 8 involve people that didn't like the way he hugged them during photo ops. There were people around. It is not the same as sexual predatory behavior.

That leaves one accusation he denies and one I discussed above.

What's bugging me here is how fast people are to repeating false framing of the Franken case. A fake, not really touching grope becomes a grope. Eight accusers becomes a preponderance of evidence when the accusations are questionable.

... Do we want to be waiting for the other shoe to drop over the upcoming weeks, months and years?
    Yes, we do. Otherwise we are letting the GOP bully us into ousting one of the more effective Senators merely on how it looks if we say, no, this one is not the same.

And the Democrats do need to take the moral high ground here. They're the party that still appeals more to women overall, and they're the party that is supposed to be about protecting the rights and promoting the equality of marginalized groups. They're the party about changing traditional power structures. I'm sick of conservative friends saying "What about Bill Clinton?" or "What about Al Franken?" when I mention how angry I am about having a self-confessed sexual predator in the white house (of course, the sex crimes are only one of a long list of reasons I think Trump is the most unfit-to-serve POTUS we've ever had).
    Yeah, our history with Bill sucks. That's where the moral high ground has been knocked down more than a few notches.

But we are letting the right wing bully us here over Franken. We (as in the Democrats) repeat the false narrative, don't stand up and say this one really is different, and then talk ourselves into believing if we don't burn Franken at the stake we are hypocrites.

And, sadly, while this is happening the GOP is quietly trying to enact more legislation that will hurt women.
    All the more reason we should not get rid of Franken unless the accusations really do amount to sexual abuse and at the moment, if you look closely at the evidence it is as weak as warm piss.

I am reminded of Karl Rove's Playbook: When you are guilty as accused, no worries, just accuse back. In no time the attention will all be on the opposition defending themselves and they need not be guilty. Guilt doesn't matter, being louder and more assertive in your accusations does.
    Last edited by MaeZe; 12-08-2017 at 03:08 AM.