Quote Originally Posted by Davy The First View Post
The Trump base and the politically motivated among Evangelical Right, have one central mantra. The End justifies the Means.

In the face of such a worldview, the Left may need a more effective philosophy than Truth to Power.

Or else accept a monstrous sociopolitical world.
Nope. Not buying into this. Not even for one second. You don't beat evil by being just as or more evil and sexual harassment IS evil.

I cannot get behind any mantra of "the End Justifies the Means" because if I have to violate everything I stand for to "win" I've whored myself out for something as fleeting and meaningless as a momentary fling with power. It's not worth it to me. There are things I would bend or break with my principles for, but I will not sacrifice the security and peace of mind of my daughter so my son can cling to a position. It's a devil's bargain and I want no part of it.

Or as Paul Wellstone, a former Minnesota progressive who made Al Franken look like Sean Hannity put it, "If we don't fight hard enough for the things we stand for, at some point we have to recognize that we don't really stand for them."

IF/WHEN Al Franken resigns, Mark Dayton, the Democratic governor of Minnesota and a former Senator himself, will appoint a replacement for Franken. It could be someone like U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison, the first elected Muslim to Congress or one of several Democratic women who could hold the seat until facing election in 2018.

MINNEAPOLIS - When Senator Al Franken makes his announcement Thursday, political science professor Steven Smith believes it will be his resignation.

"That gives the governor 24 hours to scramble and make some new plans," Smith said.

Under Minnesota law, Governor Mark Dayton will first name an interim replacement for Franken.

Then, at the August 14, 2018 primaries, voters will elect a candidate from each party.

At the General Election on November 6, 2018, voters will select the new senator to finish the last two years of Franken's term.

Finally, in November 2020, there will be another election for a new six-year term.

Smith says Dayton's immediate appointment is very important.

"Because that person would have a leg up, be serving in the Senate. And gain a lot of free publicity," Smith said.
This makes it unlikely Dayton will look to Ellison as Franken's replacement. The Republicans will come gunning for both Senate seats in 2018 and with familiar brand names as former governor and failed presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty and ex-congresswoman Michelle Bachmann (shudder), there's a chance they could grab one of those seats away from the Dems. It's too bad about Al Franken, but he made his bed and now he's got to sleep in it. It's time to think tactically and not emotionally and that means stepping over Franken's body and stepping into the 2018 elections with someone who isn't hopelessly tarnished by sleaze and scandal.

Al Franken IS toast and he threw himself into the toaster. If progressives ever hope to start winning more than losing, they better sober the fuck up and realize there's a time and a place for blubbering and hand-wringing sentiment.

This ain't it.