A tree with lights in the snow at night

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time's "Person of the Year" 2017

Time's "Person of the Year" 2017

Time announces it's annual "Person of the Year" early in December. Donald Trump wants it for a second straight year, but on his own terms.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/25/politi...ine/index.html

I realize that impact, whether positive or negative, is part of mix. Hitler and Trump have won and both, in my opinion, have had impacts not unlike an army of roaches, termites, and tapeworms.

Groups have won in the past. Although my vote doesn't count, this year's winner should be "Women Who Spoke Truth to Power". Included would be those in the march that put Trump inauguration numbers to shame. Those who told bastards like Roy Moore that their days of groping, sexual assault, and stalking are over, those who refused to be bullied, and those who put school boards on notice that they would not accept bullying of their children.

Who would be your choice?
    Last edited by BoF; 11-29-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    Congressional Republicans are a semi-"courageous" lot. They have no fear of voters, but shake in their boots at the very thought of the NRA or Grover Norquist.

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar
    Too soon for Mueller.

I also vote for the women who reported sexual harassment.

Time has already called Trump on his lie they have talked to him about it but he said he was too busy for the photo shoot. He's such an idiot.

The Resistance
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

Quote Originally Posted by regdog View Post
    The Resistance
    Now that would be so cool!

I fear we haven't made a big enough impact yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MaeZe View Post
    Now that would be so cool!

I fear we haven't made a big enough impact yet.

The Resistance helped end the attempts to end the ACA. Now we have to do the same with the Net Neutrality repeal and Budget

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Colin Kaepernick.

More than Time, though, I wish the Texans were smart enough to snag him. If they'd done that from the beginning of the season, they'd likely be leading their division right now. Maybe even Watson wouldn't have overtrained and gotten hurt.

Forget Time, in fact, I just want Kaepernick playing for the Texans.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    Colin Kaepernick.

More than Time, though, I wish the Texans were smart enough to snag him. If they'd done that from the beginning of the season, they'd likely be leading their division right now. MMaybe even Watson wouldn't have overtrained and gotten hurt.

Forget Time, in fact, I just want Kaepernick playing for the Texans.
    You know, I thought about Kaepernick as a second choice. Anyone Trump calls a son-of-a-bitch must have some impact.
    Congressional Republicans are a semi-"courageous" lot. They have no fear of voters, but shake in their boots at the very thought of the NRA or Grover Norquist.

Keep Calm & Love a Black Woman nighttimer's Avatar
    For obvious reasons I'd select Colin Kaepernick.

But I think I'm going to go with Harvey Weinstein as the Person of the Year. Not because he deserves the honor, but because he deserves the credit (or blame depending on your perspective) for bringing into the light of day just how pervasive, how pernicious, how poisonous the disease of sexual harassment of women truly is.

Kaepernick's protest has been wildly successful in waking up the activist lying dormant in the souls of professional athletes generally and in the National Football League specifically, all without stepping foot on the field all season.

But the exposing of Harvey Weinstein's lifetime of predatory behavior has been a seismic shift in Hollywood, Washington and every other power base of patriarchy. This does not herald the end of men harassing women, but it should herald the end of silence.

If not necessarily the Person of the Year, change it to Villain of the Year and Weinstein richly deserves the "honor."
    Last edited by nighttimer; 11-30-2017 at 01:25 AM. Reason: because bad typos happen to good people...
    It is a dangerous time to be a black woman in America. It’s a time when we are not safe in the streets or at home or at school or at work and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it. Nobody. Not us. Not our mamas. Not the police. Not the people we elected to look out for our interests. Nobody. We’re just out here.
    Pearl Cleage

Watch This Space

Travelling around the sun cbenoi1's Avatar
    Vladimir Putin.

-cb

Pie aren't squared, pie are round! Introversion's Avatar
    Whoever is chosen, I rather expect it's the last year that the Koch Brothers won't have an outsized influence on the winner.

So, in 2018 after he's killed Net Neutrality, Ajit Pai, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by nighttimer View Post

But I think I'm going to go with Harvey Weinstein as the Person of the Year. Not because he deserves the honor, but because he deserves the credit (or blame depending on your perspective) for bringing into the light of day just how pervasive, how pernicious, how poisonous the disease of sexual harassment of women truly is.

Kaepernick's protest has been wildly successful in waking up the activist lying dormant in the souls of professional athletes generally and in the National Football League specifically, all without stepping foot on the field all season.

But the exposing of Harvey Weinstein's lifetime of predatory behavior has been a seismic shift in Hollywood, Washington and every other power base of patriarchy. This does not herald the end of men harassing women, but it should herald the end of silence.

If not necessarily the Person of the Year, change it to Villain of the Year and Weinstein richly deserves the "honor."

Perhaps Rowan Farrow as Person of the Year then. He wrote the article and persisted with getting the story out there, after being hampered by NBC.

practical experience, FTW autumnleaf's Avatar
    The current poll leader is Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Salman:
    http://www.newsweek.com/saudi-arabia...-person-721326

A man who, among other things, is blockading food and fuel supplies to Yemen:
    http://www.newsweek.com/saudi-arabia...pon-war-724680

Yemen is now on the brink of famine. Thousands, possibly millions, of people will die if the situation doesn't change.

But I'm sure bin Salman has a nice palace.
    https://taleswildatlantic.wordpress.com/
    I reject your reality and substitute my own
    ~ Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Pie aren't squared, pie are round! Introversion's Avatar
    She's got my vote:

I'd honestly be surprised if it's anyone else.

practical experience, FTW
    Harvey Weinstein.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Introversion View Post
    She's got my vote:

I want that cover.

The Silence Breakers. Women who have spoken out about sexual harassment, abuse and assault.

Link

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone RedRajah's Avatar
    Looks like they've got Terry Crewes in there too. Good.

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    The Silence Breakers. Women who have spoken out about sexual harassment, abuse and assault.

Link
    Brilliant!

Keep Calm & Love a Black Woman nighttimer's Avatar

Link
    I've got no problem with this. I would have loved it had Kaepernick won the award, but I'm certain he's happier these courageous women and men did by breaking the silence of sexual harassment.
    It is a dangerous time to be a black woman in America. It’s a time when we are not safe in the streets or at home or at school or at work and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it. Nobody. Not us. Not our mamas. Not the police. Not the people we elected to look out for our interests. Nobody. We’re just out here.
    Pearl Cleage

Watch This Space

practical experience, FTW Twick's Avatar
    I think in a way Kaepernick is also a silence breaker. He's forced the discussion of police violence in the same way the #metoo people forced it on sexual harassment. It's on the table now, no matter how much some people (cough) hate it being visible.

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter AW Moderator Ari Meermans's Avatar
    Over the hill and picking up speed! Vroom.
    I've got no problem with this. I would have loved it had Kaepernick won the award, but I'm certain he's happier these courageous women and men did by breaking the silence of sexual harassment.
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by Twick View Post
    I think in a way Kaepernick is also a silence breaker. He's forced the discussion of police violence in the same way the #metoo people forced it on sexual harassment. It's on the table now, no matter how much some people (cough) hate it being visible.
    Yes, this.
    Resources for Promoting on AbsoluteWrite:

How to Help Keep AW Afloat.

"Books and ideas are the most effective weapons against intolerance and ignorance." Lyndon B. Johnson

There is definitely an intersection between BLM and silence breaking re gender-based assaults. For one thing, women (especially women of color, but even white women) are often victims of police discrimination, sexual assault, and brutality as well, and women of color are often victims who aren't taken seriously when it comes to allegations of sexual harassment in a variety of settings (and seem to be underrepresented, even within the #me too movement)
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 12-07-2017 at 04:12 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Quote Originally Posted by MaeZe View Post
    Too soon for Mueller.

I also vote for the women who reported sexual harassment.

Time has already called Trump on his lie they have talked to him about it but he said he was too busy for the photo shoot. He's such an idiot.
    Do you get a prize for this call? You should get a prize.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops, sorry, BoF called it first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast