AW Amazon Affiliate Store

confused by self-publishing? Find your way to self-publishing success in just 5 easy steps with this free how-to guide!

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Alabama Senate Race

practical experience, FTW Tazlima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    Many years ago, a friend told me that one of the things he admired about the US electoral system was that once the voting was done, regardless of how contentious the election itself might have been, everyone involved accepted the result and recognized the winner as the new leader.

I'd always taken that little detail for granted, and that conversation was the first time it occurred to me that the system really only works because everyone implicitely agreed to abide by the election results, whether your candidate won or not.

I wish I could still take it for granted. Apart from possibly destroying the entire system with this behavior, do Moore and his ilk not realize that if they attack the validity of election results when they lose, if they successfully erode that trust in the system like they're trying to do, any future wins of their own would be equally suspect?
    Last edited by Tazlima; 12-29-2017 at 02:58 AM.
    "One of the hardest things to do, I think, is learn to trust your own creativity." - Ambrosia

All about that action, boss. ElaineA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    I read today that he's never conceded the primary losses when he ran for gubernatorial candidate either. In 2006 and 2010.

What we have here is a sore loser.

Author me: Website | FB | Twitter

IRL me: Random tweety things @outtamylaine

And just for fun, if you're in the mood for a quick, steamy (and free!) story, check out Chloe and Dave's Naughty New Year's Eve

Travelling around the sun cbenoi1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    God - lower 'g' - told him in a dream he was the winner. There must be something wrong with the election then.

-cb

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    What we have here is also a very disturbing man on a very disturbing crusade touting a very disturbing idea, the kind of idea that too easily leads to radicalization and fringe action...

I'm probably being paranoid, but too many of us dismissed the risk of extreme viewpoints in 2016, and now they're actively gnawing the guts out of the nation from positions of power. Much as I want to laugh and dismiss him, a little corner of my mind wonders about this gaining a foothold; remember, he had major party endorsement, even "presidential" endorsement, going into this election spouting the same ideas of being God's chosen and such.
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
    Yep. Over and done with, except apparently for Roy Moore, who I hope just keeps embarrassing the GOP as long as possible.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

practical experience, FTW Technophobe's Avatar
    You can't embarrass people incapable of feeling shame.

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist Brightdreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Technophobe View Post
    A perfect motto for the modern leadership of the no-longer-Grand Old Party...
    - Brightdreamer
    Brightdreamer's Book Reviews

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
    - from The Daily Humorscope

practical experience, FTW MaeZe's Avatar

Everything is under control. nighttimer's Avatar
    I read today that he's never conceded the primary losses when he ran for gubernatorial candidate either. In 2006 and 2010.

The operative--and the most historically significant word there is "loser." Roy Moore is a loser. A big, fathead, bigtoed, backward, mouth-breathing, creepy, stalking, molesting, fanatical, non-horse-riding LOSER.

What else can you call someone who despite being a far-right nut can't win a Senate seat in blood-red Alabama? Even Trump backed away from the stink of Moore's funky flop sweat.

Moore ain't stupid as much as he's bound and determined never ever never to allow the appearance he's been cowed by the "libbruls" and the Establishment. That's not how Righteous Roy rolls.

The race is over. Done. Finished. When Congress reconvenes in the new year, Jones will be sworn in as the next senator. And the political world will move on.

Moore, though, won't. Because -- facts be damned -- Roy Moore never loses.

This Senate race is simply the latest chapter in the ongoing saga that is Roy Moore's life in politics.

After the certification, he released a statement:

"Election fraud experts across the country have agreed that this was a fraudulent election," Moore's statement said. " ... I have stood for the truth about God and the Constitution for the people of Alabama.

"I have no regrets. To God be the glory."

In 2000, Moore was elected chief justice of the Alabama state Supreme Court. Three years later, he was removed from that office for his refusal to take down a massive statue of the Ten Commandments that he had installed in the state Supreme Court.

That didn't stop him.

He ran for governor in 2006 and 2010, losing in the GOP primaries in each race. Moore lost 66%-33% to Bob Riley in 2006. In 2010, he finished fourth, with 19%. He never conceded either race.

In 2012, Moore was again elected chief justice of the state Supreme Court. Within four years, Moore had been suspended from the court for the remainder of his term due to his refusal to acknowledge the Supreme Court's legalization of gay marriage. (Moore's term was set to expire in 2019.)

Moore formally resigned from the state court to run for the Senate. (It's not clear how you resign from a court where you have been suspended for the remainder of your term but, well, never mind that.)

The point is that, for Moore, these aren't campaigns. They are part of a broader crusade -- against political correctness, against liberals, against the establishment, against the unrighteous.

That crusade dates back even before Moore's 2000 election to the state court. Back in 1982 -- yes, 1982! -- in the aftermath of Moore's defeat in a campaign for a judgeship, four circuit judges filed a complaint against Moore for the campaign he had run.

Moore, according to this terrific New York Times piece, responded this way to the complaint: "If the judges of Etowah County are personally offended, that is their problem, not mine. The guilty flee when no man pursueth." (That second line is taken from Proverbs.)
    Roy Moore ran for a Senate seat and he lost, but that doesn't mean he will ever stop running.

So many sinners. So little time to persecute them all.
    Last edited by nighttimer; 12-29-2017 at 08:38 PM.
    "Why should we do the dirtiest jobs for the lowest pay? Why should we do the hardest work for the lowest pay? Why should we pay the most money for the worst kind of food and the most money for the worst kind of place to live in? I'm telling you we do it because we live in one of the rottenest countries that has ever existed on this earth. It's the system that is rotten; we have a rotten system. It's a system of exploitation, a political and economic system of exploitation, of outright humiliation, degradation, discrimination all of the negative things that you can run into, you have run into under this system that disguises itself as a democracy."
    ~ Malcolm X

January 2018

There's no way they could have turned out in such numbers, right? Not when he and his allies did so much to intimidate and suppress their voting.

What a sickening man. I hope this is the last we see of him on the national scene.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

All about that action, boss. ElaineA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxxsmom View Post
    What a sickening man. I hope this is the last we see of him on the national scene.
    Don't hold your breath. My money's on him making another run at Governor. It was between that and buying bitcoin. I went with the less unpredictable option.

Author me: Website | FB | Twitter

IRL me: Random tweety things @outtamylaine

And just for fun, if you're in the mood for a quick, steamy (and free!) story, check out Chloe and Dave's Naughty New Year's Eve

Don't hold your breath. My money's on him making another run at Governor. It was between that and buying bitcoin. I went with the less unpredictable option.
    I wouldn't be surprised either.

Unless the disappointment finally takes its toll on him and he passes away. If he's been doing this since 1982 (the year I graduated from HS, and I'm no spring chicken), he must be pretty dared old.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Technophobe View Post
    True, but they are capable of feeling votes, and there's no doubt that the GOP "establishment" is hella worried about 2018's upcoming mid-term elections. The more Roy Moores that emerge, the deeper will be their worry. So you just keep yourself in the news as long as you can there, Roy boy.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567