• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Repetitive description as a device?

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a term for this? Specifically, repetitively describing an object throughout the novel to the point of making it a fetish or an obsession, for the purposes of building microtension? I don't mean the repetition of words, a line, a phrase, or a motif, but a physical object that a character has.

Can anyone think of any examples where something like this is done?

Done poorly, I imagine it would be irritating and like bludgeoning the reader with overkill.

Done well, I'm imaging it as this little tick-tick-tick that pulses constantly through the narrative, that no one notices in-story, but drives the reader mad with intrigue.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
What’s the relationship between this object and the MC?

I don’t know what a writing like you describe would be called; sorry.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Do you mean as a way of foreshadowing?

It makes me think of the Checkoff's gun thing, where calling attention to something unusual early in a story, even in passing, means it will be important later on. Repeatedly calling attention to an object or description would certainly make me think it's going to be important, but I don't know how you could do this in a way the reader doesn't notice consciously (but only subconsciously).

There are types of repetition that is intended to set a certain tone or rhythm to the prose, or to make an idea clearer, but I don't think this is what you're referring to either. I can't ever keep all the names straight.

Do any of the devices mentioned in these articles describe what you intend?

https://literarydevices.net/repetition/

http://rhetoric.byu.edu/Figures/Groupings/of Repetition.htm

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
So--if I understand you correctly--this thing, whatever it is, 1) is important in some way, and 2) the reader maybe doesn't notice it at first, but it keeps appearing begins to take on significance and mystery?

I think the crucial thing here is something you mentioned yourself: don't bludgeon the reader with it. And if you want the mystery to build slowly, mention it in passing and immediately distract the reader with something else.

KSpigel

Registered
Reaction score
you might be talking about idea of speaking about something a certain way, or using certain phrases to set a mood.

like how "once upon a time, a long time ago" always begins fairy tales or old-school adventures. or the way Kipling uses "best beloved" in the just so stories over and over, to make it feel like a fable.

One term for that is "formal Pattering" or "Formal Patterns in literature" but there really isn't such a thing as an objective term for such complex concepts. different teachers in different schools talk about them differently.