Santa, the last of the wildmen

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Stone paper journals?

Stone paper journals?

Has anybody tried one of these?

I'm considering giving one as a gift, but I'm wary. (I also need to contact them to find out if it's vegan.)
    December goals:

1. WIP outline/integration of notes
    2. Revise first 1/3 of WIP
    3. At least 2 blog posts
    4. Progress on side projects
    5. Other WIP, if applicable

Goodreads giveaway for THE COLD BETWEEN - US, UK, Canada, Australia - December 11, 2017 - December 19, 2017

Hey, I got interviewed by AbsoluteWrite!

Here are some books I wrote.

I'm not a fan of stone paper, though it has some interesting qualities. It's water resistant, though the ink you use might not. It's ok with ballpoint or pencil; not so good with gel or fountain pen. I can see someone writing in rough circumstances finding the tear-resistant water resistant traits appealing.

Here are two reviews from notebook and pen blogs I follow:

The Pen Addict

and Brad Dowdy doing a guest review.

And I remember reading this Wired piece about the use of plastic to make the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by AW Admin View Post
    I'm not a fan of stone paper, though it has some interesting qualities. It's water resistant, though the ink you use might not. It's ok with ballpoint or pencil; not so good with gel or fountain pen. I can see someone writing in rough circumstances finding the tear-resistant water resistant traits appealing.

Here are two reviews from notebook and pen blogs I follow:

The Pen Addict

and Brad Dowdy doing a guest review.

And I remember reading this Wired piece about the use of plastic to make the paper.
    Very useful links, thank you!

The fountain pen issue may be a dealbreaker. She loves fountain pens.

The plastic issue is interesting, and I'm not sure how to feel about it. On the one hand, it doesn't kill trees. On the other hand...plastic. Which kind of hangs around not biodegrading, at least most of the time. Hard to see plastic as a plus.

Maybe I will get her a lovely fountain pen instead.
    December goals:

3. At least 2 blog posts

Goodreads giveaway for THE COLD BETWEEN - US, UK, Canada, Australia - December 11, 2017 - December 19, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
    Very useful links, thank you!

The fountain pen issue may be a dealbreaker. She loves fountain pens.

The plastic issue is interesting, and I'm not sure how to feel about it. On the one hand, it doesn't kill trees. On the other hand...plastic. Which kind of hangs around not biodegrading, at least most of the time. Hard to see plastic as a plus.

Maybe I will get her a lovely fountain pen instead.
    What about ink? There are thousands of shades/colors, it's economical when compared to cartridges which end up in landfills, and there are a lot that are water soluble and organic (but not permanent) as well as ones made from renewable resources that are permanent.

In terms of paper, there's some decent fountain pen paper made of rice, or the left overs of sugar cane that's been processed.

Clairefontaine paper is made from managed forests, and is environmentally certified in terms of production methods and is completely recyclable and absolutely wonderful for fountain pens.

You can find it at Goulet Pens, and JetPens.com, as well as lots of other stores, local and online.
    Last edited by AW Admin; 12-05-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AW Admin View Post
    What about ink? There are thousands of shades/colors, it's economical when compared to cartridges which end up in landfills, and there are a lot that are water soluble and organic (but not permanent) as well as ones made from renewable resources that are permanent.

In terms of paper, there's some decent fountain pen paper made of rice, or the left overs of sugar cane that's been processed.

Clairefontaine paper is made from managed forests, and is environmentally certified in terms of production methods and is completely recyclable and absolutely wonderful for fountain pens.

You can find it at Goulet Pens, and JetPens.com, as well as lots of other stores, local and online.
    This is a terrific idea. I've seen stuff on their Facebook timeline about ink. That and some paper might be a nice little bundle.
    December goals:

3. At least 2 blog posts

Paper made from stone? Isn't that even more environmentally destructive than paper from wood pulp? You can plant another tree, but once you dig up a mountain it's not coming back.
    Cath
    www.cathsmithphotography.com

"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."
    from 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

"Many and various, strange and multitudinous are the friends that befriend me in this world, yet I never found one false or that did not surpass me in some virtue."
    Wilfred Owen in a letter home.

Quote Originally Posted by Cath View Post
    Paper made from stone? Isn't that even more environmentally destructive than paper from wood pulp? You can plant another tree, but once you dig up a mountain it's not coming back.
    Here's Picostone's explanation.

TL;DR: It's quarry runoff. Doesn't sound like the kind of thing they'd dig for independently, but of course it's nowhere near as popular as tree-based paper.
    December goals:

3. At least 2 blog posts

Quote Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
    Here's Picostone's explanation.

TL;DR: It's quarry runoff. Doesn't sound like the kind of thing they'd dig for independently, but of course it's nowhere near as popular as tree-based paper.
    Huh. Thanks. I still don't think I'd run to use it.
    Cath
    www.cathsmithphotography.com

"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."
    from 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

"Many and various, strange and multitudinous are the friends that befriend me in this world, yet I never found one false or that did not surpass me in some virtue."
    Wilfred Owen in a letter home.

I might buy some sheets of it to cut as shadow applique or pierced book art pages. Strikes me as similar to Yupo 'paper', which is a plastic-based drawing surface.

Found another online supplier for separate sheets in a pack: https://www.amazon.com/Yasutomo-JMP2...1PEBB6QNB2S5AT
    Last edited by Filigree; 12-10-2017 at 07:09 AM.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.