Krampus on skies

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Blinding the inner editor

Blinding the inner editor

Having just got over debilitating case of writer's block which had me deleting and editing everthing as soon as I had written it, to the point of totally stalling my progress, I wanted to share my solution. Maybe it can help others

My problem was that I'd look at what I'd written so far and despair. I knew in my head this was just the first draft and I can edit later, but couldn't get myself to carry on without trying to fix what I'd put down. After fiddling with it for a while, I'd be too discouraged to write more.

My solution: setting the font to a very light grey colour that's barely discernible on the screen. Now I can't read anymore what I write, and I find this incredibly freeing. The words are pouring out and I'm finally making progress again

Downbeat, and loving it! van Adel's Avatar
    Heh. You know, that's actually not a bad idea. I have the exact same problem at times, and I will actually give this a try.

practical experience, FTW
    I commonly alter the font color to signal for me that a given passage needs reworked/edited, and I can easily find it later and fix whatever needs to be fixed. Usually I change things like that to bright red, so they are noticeable, but this is a highly useful trick, and I recommend it.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

practical experience, FTW
    Sounds like a great idea.

I don't get blocked, but I do get frustrated with my own work if I'm in a bad mood, so I love these little mental tricks to get me working again.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I also highlight font with another color when I know that work is needed on a section. It allows me to keep writing without dwelling on the issue needing more research , fleshing out, or editing. I just get the idea down and keep going.

But, I do also get stuck reading and re-reading what I've written. I like the idea of a font that I can't quite read. Although I cringe to think about how many typos I'd find after changing the color back! Flubby fingers are what get me stuck the most. I stop to fix something silly and forget where I was going.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanite View Post
    I like the idea of a font that I can't quite read. Although I cringe to think about how many typos I'd find after changing the color back! Flubby fingers are what get me stuck the most. I stop to fix something silly and forget where I was going.
    Yeah, it's undoubtedly going to be a very rough first draft and I also cringe when I think of what I'll see when I change the colour to black again. It's a desperate measure for when everything else fails

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    Interesting strategy.

Good stuff! Keep going!
    Vivere militare est.