A tree with lights in the snow at night

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name order of Asian name?

Gently, folks.
    Cath
    www.cathsmithphotography.com

"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."
    from 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

"Many and various, strange and multitudinous are the friends that befriend me in this world, yet I never found one false or that did not surpass me in some virtue."
    Wilfred Owen in a letter home.

practical experience, FTW snafu1056's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Putputt View Post
    It's not the "Le" that makes it super obvious that it's not Chinese. It's this:

^^ That's precisely it. There are four different circumflex accent marks in Mandarin and "" is not one of them.
    Very true. On the other hand some of us totally glossed over the Le and focused on the xuan, which is most definitely Chinese. Which makes this a trick question! I demand an apology.

practical experience, FTW
    To add to the confusion (you're welcome) although not common, it is not out of the question for a Vietnamese national to have a Vietnamese surname and a Chinese given name. This is the case with many Ethnic Chinese who settled in Southern Vietnam to flee the Mao regime. And I know a few.

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg Putputt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al X. View Post
    To add to the confusion (you're welcome) although not common, it is not out of the question for a Vietnamese national to have a Vietnamese surname and a Chinese given name. This is the case with many Ethnic Chinese who settled in Southern Vietnam to flee the Mao regime. And I know a few.
    Or for some immigrants to change their surnames to blend in with the native peoples. Speaking for myself, when my grandfather immigrated from China to Indonesia, he not only switched his surname from Chen to Tan, but added moar Indonesian-sounding syllables to it. So now we’re disguised as “Sutanto”. Only people who know Chinese would spot the Tan and know we’re Chinese. (I know, we’re sneaky like that.) Similarly, I have a Chinese-Indo friend whose surname is Halim (added a “Ha” to the original name, which is Lim/Lin).

Sorry for the derail! I don’t think all this is necessary for a side character whose ethnicity is never mentioned, though I maintain it’s always important for the author to have a firm grasp on his characters’s background, even if the reader is never privvy to it.
    Kallithrix: "you're like pot noodle - you know it's dirty, unwholesome, trashy drunk food, but.... you just want it in your mouf"

Wee hippo has a message for everyone: DIIIIIE.
    Repped by Uwe Stender of TriadaUS.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Putputt View Post
    Or for some immigrants to change their surnames to blend in with the native peoples. Speaking for myself, when my grandfather immigrated from China to Indonesia, he not only switched his surname from Chen to Tan, but added moar Indonesian-sounding syllables to it. So now we’re disguised as “Sutanto”. Only people who know Chinese would spot the Tan and know we’re Chinese. (I know, we’re sneaky like that.) Similarly, I have a Chinese-Indo friend whose surname is Halim (added a “Ha” to the original name, which is Lim/Lin).

Sorry for the derail! I don’t think all this is necessary for a side character whose ethnicity is never mentioned, though I maintain it’s always important for the author to have a firm grasp on his characters’s background, even if the reader is never privvy to it.
    That actually makes a lot of sense, and explains some things.

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

And then there are glitches in transliteration or understanding going through immigration...and then the fixes.

From the other side of Asia, my Lebanese grandfather's last name should have been transliterated Sy-ar (meaning silversmith), but the immigration officer misheard it as Siak, which is what's on Dad's birth certificate. That was later changed to Sykes.

And BTW, I did wonder (but didn't say) if Le (with the diacritical mark I'm not sure where to find) Xuan was Vietnamese of Chinese ancestry.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    "The only freedom any of us ever has is the freedom to choose how we will not be free."

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oh, and Halim looks Arabic to me.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    "The only freedom any of us ever has is the freedom to choose how we will not be free."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12