Winter outside a house with children in a horse-drawn sleigh

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: A new journal for fiction, poetry, and essays?

figuring it all out Kevin Brennan's Avatar

Cool A new journal for fiction, poetry, and essays?

Hi all,

I'm in the early stages of launching a new online literary journal – The Disappointed Housewife – focused on unique approaches to fiction, poetry, and essays. Since we have a plethora of outlets for the familiar, I'm looking to provide a site where writers can try something different, play with forms, be spontaneous and bold, and do things that they haven't seen before.

My question is, do you have any material you're dying to try out but can't find a place for? And would you consider submitting to a brand new journal (hosted at WordPress) as a way of building a new community of daring scribes?

It would be a non-paying market, I'm afraid – at least at the outset.

Here's a brief description of the slant:

The Disappointed Housewife is a literary journal for writers, and readers, who are seeking something different. We like the idiosyncratic, the iconoclastic, the offbeat, the hard-to-categorize. Out of the universe of fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction, we want to attract work that plays with form and presentation. Work that’s not just outside the box but turns the box inside out.

We believe that imagination and the creative drive can guide literature toward a new stage in its evolution — a growth spurt. Multi-media, mash-ups, music, photography as writing: anything is possible.

By the way, I'm a long-time novelist and editor, and I've published a number of stories in small magazines, as well as a novel (Parts Unknown, HarperCollins, 2003). I've also self-published four additional titles. Here's my Amazon author page.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! And I'll announce a call for submissions here when I'm ready to roll.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Dallas's Avatar
    Sounds fun. I think the idea of a disappointed housewife is a bit off-putting though, it sounds like a journal for poetic sadness, which there is a lot of (me included), but also opens up a lot of creativity. Is this going to be a journal geared for women as well? I think that your title is kind of gender-specific in that way as well. I don't want to be negative, I think that the journal sounds great and I would love to submit to it, I just wanted to put my worries out there. Good luck!

figuring it all out Kevin Brennan's Avatar
    Thanks for your input, Dallas. Yes, the name is definitely quirky, but I think once readers and contributors see the site and its content they'll realize it's highly tongue-in-cheek with a hint of the absurd.

The journal wouldn't be gender-specific. All genders welcome. And sad poetry welcome too, as long as it has an offbeat angle.