I saw this...

...and thought of this:
oh%20no%20not%20again%20spaceballs.gif

spaceballs%20hello%20my%20baby%20-%20alien.gif

hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gaaaaaaaaaaaal

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
If anyone wants another chicken-related thing: around here we have a bird known as the turbo chook.

I learned a lovely, evocative chicken-related term recently. Occasionally chickens (other birds, too, of course) will lay an egg with no yolk. These are colloquially known as "wind eggs." (wind in the sense of air movement, not wind like winding a clock).

You know what? I'm adding that to my prompt. :D

Last edited:

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Gah! Y'all are really freaking me out! You've tapped into my deepest, darkest fear.

Drop me into a pit of vipers... bury me in a mountain of spiders... but please, for the love of all that's holy and good, don't let a chicken get anywhere near me!!! (Ugh, just typing the word makes me shudder)

Dunno what it is... :scared:

ETA: Well, whadaya know. It's not as uncommon as one would think! It actually has a name: alektorophobia...

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Well, whadaya know. It's not as uncommon as one would think! It actually has a name: alektorophobia...

Don't be silly. That's the fear of bulls named Alek.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Question of etiquette: If I just can't decide between 2 different prompts, can I post both and let the winner of my prompts choose which to write?

Welcome to AW and the best event of the year! And to answer your question, I don't see any reason why not. Cobra gets the final say, of course, but there's no harm in posting both prompts to start and if he asks for just one, you can remove the spare.

This.

It may wind up being Dealer's Choice when I'm pairing, but so long as you're happy getting either prompt, I can work with it!

GET weird? Dude, last year I wrote a story combining black holes, lava lamps, and a llama spitting on someone. Shit's BEEN weird, and it's why we love it so.

+1

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe write a Plotting Chickens sub-plot?

A sad futuristic story about a substitute teacher who gets a job raising chickens on a patch of underground land, with the sub-plot about the chickens rebelling against him?

Or, a subterranian plot chicken sub sob story with a plotting chicken sub-plot.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
A sad futuristic story about a substitute teacher who gets a job raising chickens on a patch of underground land, with the sub-plot about the chickens rebelling against him?

Or, a subterranian plot chicken sub sob story with a plotting chicken sub-plot.

A substitute teacher teaching a course, to subterranean plot chickens, on plotting submarine courses.

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Fuzzy chickens with long floppy ears who lay eggs ..... Aargh we've created the Cadberry Plot bunny

I could live with a chocolate chicken.

Maybe write a Plotting Chickens sub-plot?

A chocolate chicken subscription service paid for by government subsidy set in a substitute teacher's subterranean farm that delivers by submarine in subzero waters with a subplot about a man in a suburb eating a six-inch sub sandwich and musing in sublime ignorance on how reality is subjective and sentient chocolate chickens who are plotting to subvert the order don't really exist.

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm away for a day or two and this place is overrun with plot chickens. Oh my.

*drags in the bbq*

:greenie

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, to get the best flavor out of plot chickens you want to slow cook them on the subconscious back burner. (Unless it's flash fiction, then deep fried is the way to go.)

...why yes, my metaphors for how my writing brain works are cooking-related.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I'm away for a day or two and this place is overrun with plot chickens. Oh my.

*drags in the bbq*

:greenie

Actually, to get the best flavor out of plot chickens you want to slow cook them on the subconscious back burner. (Unless it's flash fiction, then deep fried is the way to go.)

...why yes, my metaphors for how my writing brain works are cooking-related.

i hate you both so much right now

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'll come out of hiding for this. I'm in.

Giving: Most genres of SFF are fine, but I don't really do hard sci-fi or military stuff. A little humor is fine, but I don't really do comedy either. I'm fine with writing sex and/or violence. Anything I write will be queer and postcolonial and feminist. Don't expect much cisness, straightness, whiteness, or maleness in your story.

Receiving: My preferences are same as above.

Prompt: The world ended long ago. Or maybe it's ending right now. Or maybe it's ended many times and people are used to it by now. Either way, the standard tropes of the (post)apocalypse don't apply. This isn't a story about survival, but about continuing, and finding home. Must feature women who love women and magical girls.

Last edited:

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
i hate you both so much right now

I had chicken tikka masalla* for supper tonight. Want some? :innocent smile:

*Jarred sauce. I love Indian food (even if tikka is a British invention) but am not so flush with energy and grocery budget to make my own curries at this time.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I've now had my thoughts and updated my prompt - rather inspired by the Eric Rohmer Comedies and Proverbs series I've just rewatched!

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I have prepared my doc for my gift-giving gift, I iz readay for tha day of DAYS to arrive! :D *refrains from singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" out loud*

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I have prepared my doc for my gift-giving gift, I iz readay for tha day of DAYS to arrive! :D *refrains from singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" out loud*

Wait, there's preparation involved?? What form does this take? It doesn't involve chicken blood, does it???

The closest I come to preparation is: Open blank document. Stare at it for an indeterminate number of days before tentatively typing "The..."